Really oiff topic

Old November 29th 19, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Really oiff topic

My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 29th 19, 10:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 16:34:56 +0700, John B. wrote:

My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one have
to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

It and other reservoirs are one of those things you will just hae to
check regularly until you get a feel for your dishwasher.

It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about 30
minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes for a
family of two?

Again it is suck it and see from experience, Tthe amount of washing
plates from each meal take will vary between different meals.

Try starting with the shortest, if not cleaning, make the next wash
longer.

Also, does it have a "pre-wash cycle where you can wash/rinse the plates
each time you put a meals worth in, until you get a washer full to run
the full wash. Caveat; depending on the machine, you might be better off
doing a full wash each time.

Old November 29th 19, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 29.11.2019 um 10:34 schrieb John B.:
My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

This strongly depends on how ward your water is, in areas with soft
water you may take "combined" dishwater tabs including salt instead.
In our "hard water" area, for a family of 4 we need one or two salt
refills per year.

Not knowing Electrolux directly, typically there is red "swimmer gague"
inside the salt compartment, you need to re-fill when you don't see it
any more.
I tend to forget and only re-fill when the washing result is not good
any more.

It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

Similar to salt.

Additionally, you might need to adjust the salt and rinse quantities per
washing dependent on you machine type. You notice too much detergent
when the dishes have a detergent-feel after the wash and too little when
the dishes have water stains after drying.

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?

Typically, there are programs for "table dishes" and for "cooking
implements" (hotter and longer).

Then there might be additional programs "quick" (less temperature, less
cleaning than the standard program) and "energy saving" (longer but less
temperature than the equivalent "table dishes" and "cooking implements"
programs).

Modern dishwashers measure the amount of dirt in the water, so you must
not pre-rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher (or the
dishwasher takes a program that doesn't clean properly on the wrong
assumption your dishes are almost clean), just remove the solids.
Old November 29th 19, 11:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Am 29.11.2019 um 11:30 schrieb Rolf Mantel:
Am 29.11.2019 um 10:34 schrieb John B.:
My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

This strongly depends on how ward your water is, in areas with soft
water you may take "combined" dishwater tabs including salt instead.
In our "hard water" area, for a family of 4 we need one or two salt
refills per year.

Not knowing Electrolux directly, typically there is red "swimmer gague"
inside the salt compartment, you need to re-fill when you don't see it
any more.
I tend to forget and only re-fill when the washing result is not good
any more.

You need to regularly use a kilolumens, neutral-white, BIKE lamp to shine
into opened reservoir to check for remaining salt nuggets.

It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

Similar to salt.

Additionally, you might need to adjust the salt and rinse quantities per
washing dependent on you machine type. You notice too much detergent
when the dishes have a detergent-feel after the wash and too little when
the dishes have water stains after drying.

Don't use rinse detergent, the fluid is unhealthy and will slowly corrode
the machine. Wife will need to remove remaining spots with a cloth, though.
Soon open the washer to let steam escape after drying ends. Don't expose
body parts or anti-reflective spectacle lenses to the hot steam / air.

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?

Typically, there are programs for "table dishes" and for "cooking
implements" (hotter and longer).

Then there might be additional programs "quick" (less temperature, less
cleaning than the standard program) and "energy saving" (longer but less
temperature than the equivalent "table dishes" and "cooking implements"
programs).

Modern dishwashers measure the amount of dirt in the water, so you must
not pre-rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher (or the
dishwasher takes a program that doesn't clean properly on the wrong
assumption your dishes are almost clean), just remove the solids.

ACK. The moment you start rinsing manually, the no-brainer program reverts
to ... wife; water; laundry detergent; kitchen sink; cloth.

Bonus:
Even less work if wife eats from a mildly dished steel bowl or a banana tree
leaf.
HTH. SCNR.
Old November 29th 19, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 11:30:07 +0100, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

[...]

There seem to be 4 programs ranging from 227 minutes to 30 minutes and
a "Prewash" that takes 14 minutes.

Modern dishwashers measure the amount of dirt in the water, so you must
not pre-rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher (or the
dishwasher takes a program that doesn't clean properly on the wrong
assumption your dishes are almost clean), just remove the solids.

Thanks for the above.

I'm not the chief cook and bottle washer but the damned "manual" is in
English so I've got to read it and demonstrate my expertise :-(

Usually "stuff" you buy here comes with a manual or instructions in
Thai but this one doesn't and dish washers certainly aren't common
enough that you can just skip next door and ask how they did it.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 29th 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 18:11:41 +0700, John B. wrote:

I'm not the chief cook and bottle washer but the damned "manual" is in
English so I've got to read it and demonstrate my expertise :-(

English english, Chinglish or Jinglish english?

SWMBO'd used her glue gun for the first time recently and the
"instructions were cryptic to say the least.

FWIW, we're going to be facing the same problem as John as we've just had
a new dishwasher delivered and I'm part way through hooking it all up.
Thankfully I can leave her to sort through the manual.

Sigh for the days where everything in the houshold just had dials and
buttons. Between the clothes washers, the oven, the microwave and now
the dishwasher, we have library of instruction manuals for appliances. I
loath apliances with screens, unless i'm being paid t look at them.

Usually "stuff" you buy here comes with a manual or instructions in Thai
but this one doesn't and dish washers certainly aren't common enough
that you can just skip next door and ask how they did it.

Sometimes you can pick them up off the internet. Try a search for the
model number.

Old November 29th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/29/2019 1:34 AM, John B. wrote:

My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?
--
cheers,

John B.

Periodically add the liquids until the reservoirs are full.

You have to experiment with program selection.

On Monday I'm getting a new dishwasher delivered to a rental that I own.
Glad that it doesn't have this new-fangled water-softener feature.

Old November 29th 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

John B., 2019-11-29 10:34+0100:
My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?
It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

Most recent dishwashers have little lights somewhere on their control
panel, to indicate when you have to refill the salt or rinse tank.

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?

I think the longest program is the economic one: it takes time to wash,
but does so with little water and power. The shorter programs are either
light washing, when you have only dishes that are not very dirty or hard
to whash, for instance glasses, or fast washing, which is a faster and
more expensive version of the regular program, to be used when you are
in a hurry and need your dish clean in a short time.

--
Tanguy
Old November 29th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 06:22:52 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 11/29/2019 1:34 AM, John B. wrote:

My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?
--
cheers,

John B.

Periodically add the liquids until the reservoirs are full.

Yes, or course. But is there any estimate on how long toe periods are?
Should one check every hour, every day, every week, etc.?

Old November 29th 19, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 16:36:56 -0000 (UTC), Tanguy Ortolo
wrote:

John B., 2019-11-29 10:34+0100:
My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for the water softener - how often does one
have to re-fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?
It has a reservoir for a rinse detergent - how often does one have to
fill it? How can one tell when it is empty?

Most recent dishwashers have little lights somewhere on their control
panel, to indicate when you have to refill the salt or rinse tank.

This one does not have that facility.

The wash and dry programs seem to range from almost 3 hours to about
30 minutes. What program would one initially select for table dishes
for a family of two?

I think the longest program is the economic one: it takes time to wash,
but does so with little water and power. The shorter programs are either
light washing, when you have only dishes that are not very dirty or hard
to whash, for instance glasses, or fast washing, which is a faster and
more expensive version of the regular program, to be used when you are
in a hurry and need your dish clean in a short time.

It was just that I had thought that 3 hours and 45 minutes was a long
time to spend washing dishes. But you are correct that the manual
shows that as the most economic program.
--
cheers,

John B.