Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

Old April 17th 14, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

I have to laugh! Another report from England where Blackblade continues to maintain that all is sweetness and light. Cyclists who ride their bikes on hiking trails are thugs, hooligans and criminals. It is time for hikers to arm themselves with a concealed hand gun and be prepared to use it when confronted by a criminal mountain biker.

Trails are for walking, roads are for wheels. Duh!

From: "Monica Craver"
Subject: Mountain Bikes are a Danger
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:03:09 -0700

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/yoursay..._are_a_danger/

Bikes are a danger

10:14am Wednesday 9th April 2014 in Letters
Bikes are a danger

AT THE age of 58, I think I am probably a bit too old to be rolling around in the soil with a young mountain biker, but that nearly happened today.

I was walking in Royden Park with a lady friend and her dog, which is not keen on cyclists and decided to show an approaching cyclist that side of herself.

He was uninjured but extremely aggressive about what had happened, and even more so when we told him we walked the dogs there as cycling is not allowed.

He told me he didn’t like my body language (I didn’t tell him I wasn’t keen on his Lycra!) and took photos of both of us so he could report us for having a dangerous dog.

Eventually we walked away and sought out the head ranger, who confirmed cyclists are definitely not allowed.

Indeed, parts of the park are designated as areas of “Special Scientific Interest.”

There used to be signs all about the park specifying “No Cycling Allowed” – but these have been destroyed by cyclists.

So if you are one of the many mountain bikers that whizz about threatening not only your own life and limb, but those of dogwalkers as well, please go to Delamere Forest where cycling is welcomed on tracks that were specially-made for it.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain bikers!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old April 22nd 14, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Where did I say that all was sweetness and light Ed ? I said I, emphasis on the I, had experienced no conflict whatsoever in three years.

Crowded areas will always throw up some issues ... twas ever thus.

However, I pointed out my personal experience to show you why your personal anecdote means nothing either ... and that you have to look at the overall big picture. And, the overall picture is very little conflict ...

If you insist on referencing personal anecdote then mine is as valid as any other ... and as unenlightening regarding what is going on overall.
Old April 29th 14, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Where did I say that all was sweetness and light Ed ? I said I, emphasis on the I, had experienced no conflict whatsoever in three years.

I have posted plenty of messages of accidents occurring in England as well as everywhere else in the world. Obviously, your particular situation exists in some kind of time warp and is not relevant to this discussion.

Crowded areas will always throw up some issues ... twas ever thus.

However, I pointed out my personal experience to show you why your personal anecdote means nothing either ... and that you have to look at the overall big picture. And, the overall picture is very little conflict ...

The only one who is an anecdote here is you. I am presenting the overall big picture. You are stuck in the mud.

If you insist on referencing personal anecdote then mine is as valid as any other ... and as unenlightening regarding what is going on overall.

When reports of accidents and complaints reach a certain level, they can no longer be regarded as personal anecdotes. It IS what is going on overall.

More news from the trenches near you I suspect:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...-and-hit-tree/

April 18, 2014 11:59 am
Cyclist injured after he fell from bike and hit tree

A mountain biker suffered cuts to his face and hands after falling
from his cycle in woods and hitting a tree.

The cyclist, a man in his 40s, was with a group riding on the Clent
Hills in Worcestershire when he tumbled.

An off-duty paramedic, who was part of the cycling group, immediately
called the emergency services and began giving basic treatment to the
injured man.

Paramedics had to climb up a hill on foot to reach the cyclist.

West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman Chris Kowalik said: "The
emergency vehicles could only get as far as Sunfield Children's Home,
which had helpfully kept part of its car park clear for us.

"Crews then had to carry their equipment on foot uphill for about
fifteen minutes to get to the cyclist.

"The man had banged his head. He had abrasions to his face and hands,
and pain to his wrist and back.

"He was immobilised onto a rescue stretcher for carrying back
downhill to the ambulance. He also felt nauseous for which he was
given anti-sickness drugs.

"He was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham for further
assessment and treatment."

An advanced community paramedic, a paramedic area support officer,
the MERIT trauma team, the Hazardous Area Response Team and an
ambulance crew attended the scene.

The cyclist fell at 9.40pm yesterday.

Old May 1st 14, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Where did I say that all was sweetness and light Ed
?* I said I, emphasis on the I, had experienced no conflict whatsoever in
three years.

I have posted plenty of messages of accidents occurring in
England as well as everywhere else in the world. Obviously, your particular
situation exists in some kind of time warp and is not relevant to this
discussion.

Crowded areas will always throw up some issues ... twas

ever thus.

However, I pointed out my personal experience to show you

why your personal anecdote means nothing either ... and that you have to look at
the overall big picture.* And, the overall picture is very little conflict

The only one who is an anecdote here is you. I am presenting
the overall big picture. You are stuck in the mud.

Fine Ed, if you are presenting the overall big picture what, overall, is the percentage of rides where conflict occurs ? Don't know ????

We already know that the fatality rate is, at max, 0.00123 per million miles travelled and that the injury rate is 1.54 per thousand exposures. It is, overall, relatively safe.

So, if you think there is loads of conflict, please do give us the OVERALL picture ... because, as you should know, if what you have is a small handful of incidents against millions of rides then OVERALL we are looking at there not being much conflict.

Or is all this too much for you ... and you would far prefer to collude with the other monomaniacs and believe that mountainbikers are a major issue afflicting the world ?
Old May 2nd 14, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

The only one who is an anecdote here is you. I am presenting
the overall big picture. You are stuck in the mud.

Fine Ed, if you are presenting the overall big picture what, overall, is the percentage of rides where conflict occurs ? Don't know ????

Nobody does – what an Asshole!

We already know that the fatality rate is, at max, 0.00123 per million miles travelled and that the injury rate is 1.54 per thousand exposures. It is, overall, relatively safe.

Miles traveled means nothing to me nor do any numbers of injuries and deaths to mountain bikers. What matters to me is how bikes on trails effect the mental attitudes of hikers. As usual you are always out to lunch on anything and everything that truly matters. Even so, my reports of accidents, deaths and conflicts are all the information that any sane person ever needs.

The overall picture is that bikes on trails ****es off hikers for all the reasons that these threads have explained over and over. Go back and read them from the beginning. Do not pay any attention to your remarks as they are always off the issue. Read only my remarks. In fact, memorize them. That way you will finally learn something worth knowing.

Or is all this too much for you ... and you would far prefer to collude with the other monomaniacs and believe that mountainbikers are a major issue afflicting the world ?

Mountain bikers on trails are a major issue effecting only hikers and equestrians. If looks could kill, they would all be dead as soon as encountered.

Old May 2nd 14, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

The only one who is an anecdote here is you. I am presenting

the overall big picture. You are stuck in the mud.

Fine Ed, if you are presenting the overall big picture what,

overall, is the percentage of rides where conflict occurs ? Don't know
????

Nobody does - what an Asshole!

So, Arsehole, you AREN'T presenting the "overall big picture" then are you ? You don't know and are trying to pass off your opinions as fact. Go and get a clue before you make yourself look even more stupid.

Miles traveled means nothing to me nor do any numbers of
injuries and deaths to mountain bikers. What matters to me is how bikes on
trails effect the mental attitudes of hikers. As usual you are always out to
lunch on anything and everything that truly matters.

You clearly don't understand that, as I keep saying, I don't care one iota about your opinions and what anything means to you. Unless you can justify your position objectively you might as well save your energy.

Your mental attitude is not of the slightest concern to me and you have, so far, failed to provide me with any data that this view is anything other than a minority, fanatical sub-set of nutcases.

Even so, my reports of
accidents, deaths and conflicts are all the information that any sane person
ever needs.

No, Ed, as I've patiently explained to you again and again when set against the millions of rides occurring they amount to practically nothing.

So, if you think there is loads of conflict, please do give us the

OVERALL picture ... because, as you should know, if what you have is a small
handful of incidents against millions of rides then OVERALL we are looking at
there not being much conflict.

The overall picture is that bikes on trails ****es off hikers
for all the reasons that these threads have explained over and over.

You haven't shown that. You've shown that it ****es you off and a small set of fanatics. You've done nothing to show that it's the majority view amongst hikers - nor have you even bothered to try and find out.

To reiterate, yet again, I don't give a damn about your fragile mental equilibrium given that you've shown yourself to be intolerant, selfish and illogical.

read them from the beginning. Do not pay any attention to your remarks as they
are always off the issue. Read only my remarks. In fact, memorize them. That way
you will finally learn something worth knowing.

I will. I will learn that you show many signs of sociopathy, hubris and are probably on the ASD spectrum.

Or is all this too much for you ... and you would far prefer to

collude with the other monomaniacs and believe that mountainbikers are a major
issue afflicting the world ?

Mountain bikers on trails are a major issue effecting only
hikers and equestrians. If looks could kill, they would all be dead as soon as
encountered.

But, in the real world, they can't. All you've managed to show, in your many posts, is that you and a small cohort of fanatics don't like it. You've not posted anything that would lead a rational individual to conclude that it's the majority view.
Old May 3rd 14, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Nobody does - what an Asshole!

So, Arsehole, you AREN'T presenting the "overall big picture" then are you ? You don't know and are trying to pass off your opinions as fact. Go and get a clue before you make yourself look even more stupid.

I am presenting more of a picture than you are. You drag some stupid numbers into the discussion which mean absolutely nothing whereas I present a few real facts based on real stories. But to repeat myself, no one is presenting the big picture because it is not available. It is just that I am presenting a BETTER picture than you are with your ****ed-up data.

Miles traveled means nothing to me nor do any numbers of
injuries and deaths to mountain bikers. What matters to me is how bikes on
trails effect the mental attitudes of hikers. As usual you are always out to
lunch on anything and everything that truly matters.

You clearly don't understand that, as I keep saying, I don't care one iota about your opinions and what anything means to you. Unless you can justify your position objectively you might as well save your energy.

My opinion is that of all serious hikers. As for not giving a damn, I care absolutely nothing about your opinions since I consider they come from a scofflaw who is criminally promoting mountain biking and getting other poor innocent slobs killed as a result. You sir are beneath contempt.

Your mental attitude is not of the slightest concern to me and you have, so far, failed to provide me with any data that this view is anything other than a minority, fanatical sub-set of nutcases.

My mental attitude is that of all serious hikers. Your mental attitude is that of a small minority of extreme bikers who think nothing of risking life and limb. If only it were your own life and limb who would care, bur your promotion of mountain biking borders on being criminal because of how it effects others who do not know better. A man or woman in the prime of their lives goes mountain biking and ends up dead. They thought it was a safe thing to be doing. How do you explain that? Accidents will happen? You sir are beneath contempt.

Even so, my reports of
accidents, deaths and conflicts are all the information that any sane person
ever needs.

No, Ed, as I've patiently explained to you again and again when set against the millions of rides occurring they amount to practically nothing.

Even so, my reports of
accidents, deaths and conflicts are all the information that any sane person
ever needs. – Ed Dolan

[...]

The overall picture is that bikes on trails ****es off hikers
for all the reasons that these threads have explained over and over.

You haven't shown that. You've shown that it ****es you off and a small set of fanatics. You've done nothing to show that it's the majority view amongst hikers - nor have you even bothered to try and find out.

It is the majority view among serious hikers, the only group that counts.

To reiterate, yet again, I don't give a damn about your fragile mental equilibrium given that you've shown yourself to be intolerant, selfish and illogical.

Unfortunately for you, my views are those of all serious hikers. Because I don’t want to put up with Asshole mountain bikers, I have a fragile mental equilibrium? Just the opposite of that. What I have is something you can only dream about – strong opinions on what is right and proper unaffected by what Asshole mountain bikers want. You don’t care if you destroy the enjoyment of others and you don’t care if other bikers injure or kill themselves doing what is inherently stupid. You sir are beneath contempt.

read them from the beginning. Do not pay any attention to your remarks as they
are always off the issue. Read only my remarks. In fact, memorize them. That way
you will finally learn something worth knowing.

I will. I will learn that you show many signs of sociopathy, hubris and are probably on the ASD spectrum.

If I were an Asshole mountain biker like you, that is what I would have said too.

The only minority view I know about is that of Asshole mountain bikers like you who think it is OK to transgress on hiking trails. Your ignorance is unconquerable. But it is your ****ing self-righteousness that really offends. You should strive to be humble and self-effacing like ME! Arrogance goeth before a fall!

Old May 6th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

So, Arsehole, you AREN'T presenting the "overall big picture" then are you ? You don't know and are trying to pass off your opinions as fact. Go and get a clue before you make yourself look even more stupid.

I am presenting more of a picture than you are. You drag some stupid numbers into the discussion which mean absolutely nothing whereas I present a few real facts based on real stories. But to repeat myself, no one is presenting the big picture because it is not available. It is just that I am presenting a BETTER picture than you are with your ****ed-up data.

Way to go. Earlier, in this very thread, you claimed to be presenting the overall picture. Now it's simply a 'better' picture is it ? Who knows, if you work at it you might finally realise that it's a misleading picture because you fail to compare the small number of reports you have collated against the millions of rides that they represent.

You clearly don't understand that, as I keep saying, I don't care one iota about your opinions and what anything means to you. Unless you can justify your position objectively you might as well save your energy.

My opinion is that of all serious hikers. As for not giving a damn, I care absolutely nothing about your opinions since I consider they come from a scofflaw who is criminally promoting mountain biking and getting other poor innocent slobs killed as a result. You sir are beneath contempt.

A short while ago you were representing all hikers. Now it's just the 'serious' ones. What, precisely, is your definition of 'serious' ? I'm willing to bet it's anyone who happens to agree with you :-). What a joke.

Your mental attitude is not of the slightest concern to me and you have, so far, failed to provide me with any data that this view is anything other than a minority, fanatical sub-set of nutcases.

My mental attitude is that of all serious hikers.

Prove it. Stop pontificating and prove it. There are millions of hikers, as a report which you posted recently on outdoor recreation confirmed. Of those, how many are 'serious' and how many agree with you ? I'm willing to bet that you don't know ... so, if you don't know, stop asserting that you do and admit that it's YOUR OPINION.

Your mental attitude is that of a small minority of extreme bikers who think nothing of risking life and limb. If only it were your own life and limb who would care, bur your promotion of mountain biking borders on being criminal because of how it effects others who do not know better. A man or woman in the prime of their lives goes mountain biking and ends up dead. They thought it was a safe thing to be doing. How do you explain that? Accidents will happen? You sir are beneath contempt.

I'm not promoting anything other than free choice. As you concede, if I wish to 'risk' my own life and limb that is solely my concern.

The odds of a man or woman going mountainbiking and ending up dead are less than the odds if they drive their cars to work every day. In fact, given that Cardiovascular Heart Disease is the number one killer in the developed world they are probably reducing their overall risk of death by doing so.

You haven't shown that. You've shown that it ****es you off and a small set of fanatics. You've done nothing to show that it's the majority view amongst hikers - nor have you even bothered to try and find out.

It is the majority view among serious hikers, the only group that counts.

Ah, we've gone from the view of all hikers to the view of 'serious' hikers. And, tomorrow, we'll find out that the only people able to garner the Ed Dolan 'Serious Hiker' badge are you and the few other nutcases who agree with you.

To reiterate, yet again, I don't give a damn about your fragile mental equilibrium given that you've shown yourself to be intolerant, selfish and illogical.

Unfortunately for you, my views are those of all serious hikers. Because I don't want to put up with Asshole mountain bikers, I have a fragile mental equilibrium?

So you have asserted incessantly. However, you've done precisely nothing to backup that statement.

As to your fragile mental equilibrium you, yourself, stated that the mere appearance of a bike on a trail, irrespective of any conflict or risk to you, was sufficient to cause you 'mental torture'. I think you have validated my statement from your own words. You have an irrational fear of mountain bikes.

Just the opposite of that. What I have is something you can only dream about - strong opinions on what is right and proper unaffected by what Asshole mountain bikers want. You don't care if you destroy the enjoyment of others and you don't care if other bikers injure or kill themselves doing what is inherently stupid. You sir are beneath contempt.

Or, to paraphrase, you have strong opinions that your activity, and your activity alone, should be permitted on public land. I fundamentally disagree with that premise.

I do care about others on the trail which is why I moderate both my behaviour on the trail and my desire for access in the first place.

However, since YOU and your minority of fellow travellers are completely unwilling to compromise then, no, I don't give a damn about you anymore. You would happily see me banned from all trails so that you could enjoy them in splendid isolation whilst requiring me to pay for them through my taxes.

This is what I mean about extremism begetting extremism.

[...]

Now you're arguing against your own earlier statements. You said 'democracy doesn't work' and 'mountainbikers are like locusts'. So, one second, when it suits your argument we're as numerous as locusts and seeking to oppress the poor minority of 'serious' hikers. Now, when it suits you to make the opposite argument you want to argue that we're a minority.

I think I'm about done with this ... you're going around in circles and just posting nonsense without, clearly, even bothering to consider if it's consistent with your earlier positions.
Old May 8th 14, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

My reports are as numerous as the stars in the sky - and your data is ****ed-up!

You clearly don't understand that, as I keep saying, I don't care one iota about your opinions and what anything means to you. Unless you can justify your position objectively you might as well save your energy.

My opinion is that of all serious hikers. As for not giving a damn, I care absolutely nothing about your opinions since I consider they come from a scofflaw who is criminally promoting mountain biking and getting other poor innocent slobs killed as a result. You sir are beneath contempt.

A short while ago you were representing all hikers. Now it's just the 'serious' ones. What, precisely, is your definition of 'serious' ? I'm willing to bet it's anyone who happens to agree with you :-). What a joke.

The only joke here is you and your defense of mountain biking on trails. Occasional hikers don’t count. The only group that counts in this discussion are serious hikers. If you had the brains you were born with you would have known that from day one.

Your mental attitude is not of the slightest concern to me and you have, so far, failed to provide me with any data that this view is anything other than a minority, fanatical sub-set of nutcases.

My mental attitude is that of all serious hikers.

Prove it. Stop pontificating and prove it. There are millions of hikers, as a report which you posted recently on outdoor recreation confirmed. Of those, how many are 'serious' and how many agree with you ? I'm willing to bet that you don't know ... so, if you don't know, stop asserting that you do and admit that it's YOUR OPINION.

Lone individuals and couples hiking various trails many times a year are serious hikers. Occasional hikers, youth groups, idiots walking their dogs and once a year family groups don’t count.

Your mental attitude is that of a small minority of extreme bikers who think nothing of risking life and limb. If only it were your own life and limb who would care, bur your promotion of mountain biking borders on being criminal because of how it effects others who do not know better. A man or woman in the prime of their lives goes mountain biking and ends up dead. They thought it was a safe thing to be doing. How do you explain that? Accidents will happen? You sir are beneath contempt.

I'm not promoting anything other than free choice. As you concede, if I wish to 'risk' my own life and limb that is solely my concern.

Yes, indeed, who cares about your life and limb, but your defense of mountain biking on trails encourages others to think it is safe, when it clearly Is not safe. It is why I hold you culpable.
[...]

[...]

As a biker on a trail, you are an interloper and a usurper. The trails were there for the use and enjoyment of hikers long before mountain bikes were ever invented. You need to get your own trails far removed from hiking trails. There can be no sharing of trails because it is a conflict of both means and purpose.

[...]

The reason it appears so to you is that you never take anything in the context in which it is said. I could do the same to you, but it is too tiresome to even think about doing. I like to move on.

I think I'm about done with this ... you're going around in circles and just posting nonsense without, clearly, even bothering to consider if it's consistent with your earlier positions.

I am consistent about what matters and do not get hung up on details like you do. Half the time, my details are provided for your amusement, but like all Englishmen you do not take notice of amusement. My first duty here is to enjoy myself. Nothing will ever stand in the way of that.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

Old May 8th 14, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

“As a biker on a trail, you are an interloper and a usurper. The trails were there for the use and enjoyment of hikers long before mountain bikes were ever invented. You need to get your own trails far removed from hiking trails. There can be no sharing of trails because it is a conflict of both means and purpose.”

I am amending the above with the following: Mountain bikers need NOT get their own trails other than at resorts. Resorts are already so messed up that a few mountain biking trails there for the idiots won‘t make any difference. Other than that, I do not want mountain bikers to have any trails at all. There are plenty of roads and streets for them. All a new set of trails would do is mess up the rest of the countryside still unspoiled. If single track trails are attractive to them, then they can get off their bikes and walk them like everybody else. Hells Bells, where did I ever get the notion that mountain bikers deserve their own trails. They don’t! Instead, they deserve to have their dumb asses kicked all the way to Hell!