Helment Damage.

Old April 16th 05, 02:04 AM
Evan Byrne

Default Helment Damage.

Well i crashed on my coker aobut 5 days ago, i was fine just a little
scraped up, well today i looked at my helment and noticed what i actuly
did to it in the crash...

| Attachment filename: helmet 002.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/299869|

Evan Byrne

Do you ride unis for the fun and ease of it, Or the challenge?
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old April 16th 05, 02:04 AM
Evan Byrne

Old April 16th 05, 02:09 AM
James_Potter

oooh, impressive! now imagine that's your head in the picture because
you weren't wearing a helmet.... any questions?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old April 16th 05, 02:26 AM
Evan Byrne

sorry i spelt helmet wrong, my mom wanted me to ge the comp

Old April 16th 05, 03:56 AM
tholub

James_Potter wrote:
*oooh, impressive! now imagine that's your head in the picture because
you weren't wearing a helmet.... any questions? *

Let's be realistic; a helmet sticks out way further in back than your
head does, and it raises the rotational center of gravity while adding
weight. So the fact that you hit your helmet, especially on the back
point like that, is not at all proof that you would have hit your head
were you not wearing a helmet.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old April 16th 05, 04:24 AM
unidad

tholub wrote:
*Let's be realistic; a helmet sticks out way further in back than your
head does, and it raises the rotational center of gravity while adding
weight. So the fact that you hit your helmet, especially on the back
point like that, is not at all proof that you would have hit your head
were you not wearing a helmet. *

Nasty roadrash story! Helmet saved life moral. Elite credintials.
Personal attack.

--
unidad - level 3 and climbing!

Momma says this is a waste of time.
So who wants to go uni?
unidad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8151

Old April 16th 05, 04:42 AM
James_Potter

tholub wrote:
*Let's be realistic; a helmet sticks out way further in back than your
head does, and it raises the rotational center of gravity while adding
weight. So the fact that you hit your helmet, especially on the back
point like that, is not at all proof that you would have hit your head
were you not wearing a helmet. *

fine, go ahead, don't wear a helmet, have a nasty crash without one, get
knocked unconcious, become a vegetable for the rest of your life, 'snot
my problem.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old April 16th 05, 05:10 AM
One on one

tholub wrote:
*Let's be realistic; a helmet sticks out way further in back than your
head does, and it raises the rotational center of gravity while adding
weight. So the fact that you hit your helmet, especially on the back
point like that, is not at all proof that you would have hit your head
were you not wearing a helmet. *

..and it is safer to not wear seat belts, because you will be thrown
safetly from the crash, instead of being trapped inside the vehicle.

--
One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

"However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
he/she could black out."
-Memphis Mud

One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old April 16th 05, 05:21 AM
gerblefranklin

Tom is not stupid, and is not a fool on a crusade against helmets.
There's no need to go making sarcastic attacks on his statement. All he
is doing is being realistic. The damage to a helmet is not equal or
directly comparable to that of an unguarded head in the same crash. As
far as I can tell, that is all he is saying.

And technically, assuming you didn't have a windshield, being without a
seatbelt can be better, since you could end up flying into a pool of
water or sand rather than having a hard piece of cloth crush your
collarbone (you run into a low brick wall at the edge of a harbor, for
example).

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"The genesis of genocide is like a Pagan religion; carefully hidden,
woven into the holidays of a Christian."-Immortal Technique

* I need a profile hub, any condition, as long as the splines work! (PM
me) *

Old April 16th 05, 05:31 AM
tholub

One on one wrote:
*..and it is safer to not wear seat belts, because you will be thrown
safetly from the crash, instead of being trapped inside the vehicle. *

I've been on cycling newsgroups too long to be interested in getting
into helmet wars. All I am saying is that it is an obvious physical
fact that you're more likely to hit your helmet than you are to hit your
unprotected head, therefore the fact that someone hit his helmet in a
crash doesn't mean that he would have hit his head.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor