program to compute gears, with table

Old September 9th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default program to compute gears, with table

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I did! I DID! After "web" I had also answered
your qquestion with "...under bicycle chain
widths and you'll seethat 5 speed, 7 speed, 9
speed, 10 speed and 11 speed chains are ALL
different widths to cope with the narrower
spacings between cogs and also the
thinner cogs."

Yes, I know. Thank you for that.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old September 9th 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Surely you jest! There are variants within
each format. Plus 12 speed now. Four chain
models is not a shop inventory -
it's nothing.

No jesting!

In the shop I go to regularly there are only
two chains, both Shimano, one is fat (1s) and
one is for casettes.

The one for casettes, the "Shimano CN-HG40", is
for 6, 7, and 8 sprocket casettes.

Old September 9th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

There are variants within each format.

OK, so how do you know then? Is it imprinted
somewhere on the casette or do you measure it?
If so, what results translate into what chains?

Old September 9th 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Harris Brown Cyclery has a program
Old September 9th 17, 08:17 PM posted to gnu.emacs.help,rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-08 12:59, David Scheidt wrote:
In rec.bicycles.tech Joerg wrote:
:On 2017-09-08 10:52, Emanuel Berg wrote:
: Skip Montanaro wrote:
:
: * Why the 1.0 divisor when computing gear?
:
: As explained, otherwise it'll be integer
: division. But I think that qualifies as a hack
: (not an ugly hack tho) so there is no shame in
: spotting it an "error"
:
: * You can skip the radius and use wheel
: (diameter) directly in computing
: the circumference.
:
: Right!
:
: * It never occurred to me to do this in Lisp.
: I always just use an online calculator, like:
:
: http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=D...&SL=2.6&UN=KMH
:
: Let's agree there is no need to do it in Lisp.
: Only a desire
:

:Why make things complicated? I do such stuff with spreadsheets. That's
:what they were invented for. Part of every office software including
:free ones.

I rewrote his code in common lisp in less time than it takes excel to
start.

Wow, you must be able to type at hundreds of letter a second. Here, it
takes less than 2sec for Excel to start. Mostly only a split second to
open the file because I usually have it running nearly all the time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 9th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/9/2017 1:10 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Surely you jest! There are variants within
each format. Plus 12 speed now. Four chain
models is not a shop inventory -
it's nothing.

No jesting!

In the shop I go to regularly there are only
two chains, both Shimano, one is fat (1s) and
one is for casettes.

The one for casettes, the "Shimano CN-HG40", is
for 6, 7, and 8 sprocket casettes.

No, it is not.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 9th 17, 08:46 PM posted to gnu.emacs.help,rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

Wow, you must be able to type at hundreds of
letter a second. Here, it takes less than
2sec for Excel to start. Mostly only a split
second to open the file because I usually
have it running nearly all the time.

But it is faster to feed data into a shell
tool, hit RET and have the result outputted.

And yes, programmers type very quickly indeed.

On a general note, if you care about time (the
perception thereof) you should throw the
computer into a rock wall and be done with it.

Old September 9th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

No jesting! In the shop I go to regularly
there are only two chains, both Shimano, one
is fat (1s) and one is for casettes. The one
for casettes, the "Shimano CN-HG40", is for
6, 7, and 8 sprocket casettes.

No, it is not.

They say it is:

För 6-, 7- och 8-delade kransar. [1]

Might be incorrect, of course.

[1] http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Cykelke...N-HG40/34-8914

Old September 9th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/9/2017 2:50 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

No jesting! In the shop I go to regularly
there are only two chains, both Shimano, one
is fat (1s) and one is for casettes. The one
for casettes, the "Shimano CN-HG40", is for
6, 7, and 8 sprocket casettes.

No, it is not.

They say it is:

För 6-, 7- och 8-delade kransar. [1]

Might be incorrect, of course.

[1] http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Cykelke...N-HG40/34-8914

The guy who only stocks one model chain knows a lot more
than the guy who made it?

http://bike.shimano.com/content/saus...s/cn-hg40.html

Shifts for crap on a six speed system. Six changers want
classic chain with rivets sticking out the side, especially
the fronts.

Old September 10th 17, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

The guy who only stocks one model chain knows
a lot more than the guy who made it?

http://bike.shimano.com/content/saus...s/cn-hg40.html

.... what do you mean? What I can see your link
say the same:

Cassette Compatibility 6/7/8-speed

Table. Marc[_2_] UK 6 November 25th 09 11:29 AM
Is Frame spacing for 7 Gears = to 5 Gears? [email protected] Techniques 4 April 13th 09 12:28 AM
Now that's a table! Bob Downie UK 4 April 16th 07 06:23 PM
Inversion Table Bill B Recumbent Biking 3 October 22nd 04 03:59 AM
Gears gears gear..what to choose? bstephens Techniques 8 February 18th 04 05:06 PM