140 vs 145 vs 160mm cranks for MUni

Old February 11th 04, 01:45 AM
TonyMelton

Default 140 vs 145 vs 160mm cranks for MUni

I'd really like a set of splined 150mm cranks for my 24" MUni. I reckon
this is the perfect length for a 24" muni - fast enough for cross
country riding but long enough for control on stunts and drops. At the
moment the DM ATU crankset seems the only option, and an expensive one.
It appears that Profile doesn't make 150mm cranks, leaving me with
shorter and longer choices.

There are 145mm Profiles and 140mm Onzas and KHs which would be too
short, I reckon. On the longer side there are 160mm Profiles and 165mm
Onzas. I plan on riding stunts and doing reasonable sized drops so I
don't think 145s or 140s would afford enough leverage/control to land
these easily. On the other hand 160s or 165s would, but they'd be
painfully slow for general trail riding.

I guess what I'd like to know is does anyone ride fairly hardcore
offroad including drops and structures on a 24x3" with 145mm Profile
cranks? Is this length OK for such riding?

--Tony

--
TonyMelton - Up, up and awaaaay!

'Tony's Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new videos
added 4/2/04.

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old February 11th 04, 02:07 AM
onewheeldave

This is really a job for Mike Fule, however I'll give it a go.

Like you Ithink 150mm is a nice compromise for muni.

Mathematically speaking 145's are a mere 1/30 shorter than 150's, I
really can't imagine you'll feel much difference.

I've found going from 150's on a 24" to 125's on a 29-er to be a big
difference. however that's a change in both crank length and wheel size.
Putting 125's instead of 150's on my muni was easy to get used to, it
meant less control but then again it's a 1/5 change.

Lets assume however that the 1/30 shortening is significant; in that
case you should still go with the 145's as the other option- 160's is a
1/15 increase i.e. twice as large a difference as the 145's.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old February 11th 04, 02:16 AM
Frank A.

145mm with a 24 x 3 Gazz is Andrew Carter's set-up.

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old February 11th 04, 02:25 AM
forget_your_life

its my set up too,ive commented about it before and most resently in a
Product Review thread.

http://tinyurl.com/3248f

--
forget_your_life - a.k.a. jagur

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...gsize_003.gif]
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...nyjumping.gif]
dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/34tyj)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old February 11th 04, 02:29 AM
TonyMelton

Frank A. wrote:
*145mm with a 24 x 3 Gazz is Andrew Carter's set-up. *

Yes, he and Rowan are the only riders I know of with this set-up.

Old February 11th 04, 02:30 AM
Frank A.

forget_your_life wrote:
*its my set up too,ive commented about it before and most resently in
a Product Review thread.

http://tinyurl.com/3248f *

That's right, I forgot about that. I remember you have the 160's too
and thought you were using those.

- Frank

Old February 11th 04, 07:02 AM
andrew_carter

Wow, that's amazing...people know my muni setup! Tony, you've ridden my
muni. Did you really find it all that different to your muni with 152's
(or whatever they were)? I've done biggish drops (like that one at
Canberra) and didn't even think about my crank length...it just wasn't
an issue for me. In fact, you did that drop and the bigger one. I find
my muni pretty good for hill climbing as well because you keep your
momentum and generally ride in a smoother fashion. I think you should
go for 145's. I honestly think that it's the perfect setup (at least
for me) with the brake the I will soon have (yes!). I think if the
crank length is not an issue when descending No. 9 without a brake then
it's a good length.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!
* A friend of mine found us Magura HS-11's for about $80 AUD each second
hand...I'm getting a brake for my muni! *

Old February 11th 04, 08:14 AM
Rowan

andrew_carter wrote:
* I find my muni pretty good for hill climbing as well because you
keep your momentum and generally ride in a smoother fashion.*

I agree with Andrew. The shorter cranks definitely make for a smoother
ride, and the momentum is awesome for getting up steep hills. Not only
do you climb up stuff that is just as steep, but you get up there
faster. There are only a few occasions on which I would prefer to have a
few more millimeters than 145mm, but mostly a brake would do instead,
for steep downhills. On landing big drops longer cranks might help, you
really need to try for yourself. Come down to New Plymouth Tony, and you
can have a go at some big drops with 145mm cranks, as soon as I get my
MUni back from the damn police who hijacked it and are holding it for
ransom (for a second time). If I'd have known you wanted to experiment
with them you could've tried during the Juggling Festival weekend.

--
Rowan - _________
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old February 11th 04, 08:23 AM
Mikefule

In simple terms of arithmetic, some of these differences are
negligible.

If you take 150 as a 'bench mark' then:
145mm = 3.3% shorter
140mm = 6.7% shorter
160mm = 6.7% longer.

Of course, the difference between the shortest and longest on your list
is significant: 160mm is 20mm longer than 140. 160mm is around 14%
longer than 140mm.

So, if your ideal would be around 150mm, you will be choosing between
very slightly shorter and faster, or very slightly longer and torquier.
It's a fine tuning thing, and there will be few circumstances in which
you really notice the distance.

The longer cranks will give you a touch more torque when slogging up
hills, or when doing slow and controlled descents. The shorter cranks
will give you a touch more speed, so you will be able to rush short
slopes.

Longer cranks might be slightly more likely to snap or bend on a drop
because of the longer leverage. I have no experience of drops.

The maths isn't everything, though. There's an ergonomic factor to
consider: what size fits your legs best? I know many MUniists like
170mm cranks. I just couldn't get on with them, and I'd rather use 150s
and walk a bit more.

Whatever size you buy between 140 and 160 will feel like the "right"
size as soon as you've used them for a while. Remember that every
unicycle is a compromise. Part of the fun is getting the compromise
right; part of the fun is making the most of it.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.

Old February 11th 04, 10:27 AM
TonyMelton

You're right, Mike, it is a compromise choosing crank length. I guess if
I get Profiles I'll be able to swap them with the 145s on my trials uni,
and changing crank length won't be a big deal.

Andrew, you're probably right too. You seemed to do No 9 without probs
(without a brake either) so 145s will probably be fine. I could get
160s, try em out then swap to 145s just to see what they're like....