New ideas for cycling products

Old May 5th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

Default New ideas for cycling products

Part 1 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-1.html
Part 2 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-2.html

Comments welcome.
Old May 5th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Crazyboy Only wrote:

Part 1 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-1.html
Part 2 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-2.html

Comments welcome.

I think the writer's name says it all. I pump my tires at home before
taking a flight to ZRH (Switzerland), ride for more than 2000 miles in
the alps over paved and unpaved roads as well as hiking trails without
checking tire pressure, these "inventions" seem crazy and may appeal
to equipment oriented people rather than bicyclists.

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos.html

Jobst Brandt
Old May 5th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-05-05, bicycle_disciple wrote:
Part 1 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-1.html
Part 2 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-2.html

Comments welcome.

I'm fairly sure from reading Fogel's posts that most of these ideas will
have already been patented before 1890

Semi-horizontal dropouts can also solve the disk brake wheel ejection
problem.

The cable-less bicycle will probably actually happen quite soon.
Old May 5th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2008-05-05, bicycle_disciple wrote:
Part 1 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-1.html
Part 2 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-2.html

Comments welcome.

I'm fairly sure from reading Fogel's posts that most of these ideas will
have already been patented before 1890

Dear Ben,

Inventors were pushing automatic bicycle pumps furiously before 1900,
but the idea never caught fire, if you'll pardon a mixed metaphor.

Automatic pumps can be divided into hub and rim driven designs.

Hub-drive pumps were heavier and smoother and didn't interfere with
patching flats, while rim-drive pumps were simpler, ridiculously
inconvenient whenever a tube had to be fixed, and just as unsuccessful
as hub-drive pumps.

The natural latex tubes of that era leaked much faster than modern
butyl tubes because N2 goes through natural rubber much faster than it
passes through synthetic rubber.

But practically everyone just stopped and pumped the leaky tires up
every few days in the 1890s. The tires were huge, low-pressure balloon
models, which were easier to pump up by hand than by installing and
elaborate auto-pumping machinery, fore and aft, which naturally
produced enormous rolling resistance.

This search will let you browse a few dozen examples:

http://www.google.com/patents?q=bicy...maxy_is=1 901

A trio of hub-driven automatic bicycle tire pumps:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=kDJ..._pages&cad=0_1

http://www.google.com/patents?id=DJh..._pages&cad=0_1
http://www.google.com/patents?id=hNIsAAAAEBAJ&jtp=1

A trio of rim-driven automatic bicycle tire pumps:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=snJ..._pages&cad=0_1

http://www.google.com/patents?id=DJh..._pages&cad=0_1

http://www.google.com/patents?id=4qJ..._pages&cad=0_1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 5th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

On May 5, 4:21 pm, wrote:
Crazyboy Only wrote:
Part 1 :http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ycling-product...
Part 2 :http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ycling-product...
Comments welcome.

I think the writer's name says it all. I pump my tires at home before
taking a flight to ZRH (Switzerland), ride for more than 2000 miles in
the alps over paved and unpaved roads as well as hiking trails without
checking tire pressure, these "inventions" seem crazy and may appeal
to equipment oriented people rather than bicyclists.

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos.html

Jobst Brandt

Jobst,

I admitted some of them were crazy in the post. What about my name
strikes you as 'saying it all', just curious? And its funny you
provide a contrast between equipment and bicyclists, as if one doesn't
complement the other. -ron

Old May 5th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

On 2008-05-05, bicycle_disciple wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.com/patents?q=bicy...as_drrb_is=b&a...

A trio of hub-driven automatic bicycle tire pumps:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=kDJ...urce=gbs_selec...

http://www.google.com/patents?id=DJh...urce=gbs_selec...
http://www.google.com/patents?id=hNIsAAAAEBAJ&jtp=1

A trio of rim-driven automatic bicycle tire pumps:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=snJ...urce=gbs_selec...

http://www.google.com/patents?id=DJh...urce=gbs_selec...

http://www.google.com/patents?id=4qJ...urce=gbs_selec...

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Thats a wealth of info. Thanks Carl.
Old May 6th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
bicycle_disciple wrote:

On May 5, 4:21 pm, wrote:
Crazyboy Only wrote:
[...]

At the risk of putting words in Jobst's mouth, I think he means that
none of your ideas are not crazy.

As a theme, many of your ideas tend to take things that are normally
kept at home in the garage and add them to the bike, be that the air
pump or the second helmet.

Most people want to keep their bicycle and equipment light, thus arguing
strongly against adding extraneous functions. Let the bike be the bike.

The cable-less bicycle, BTW, is he

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2008/apr/3/BrettReed.htm

Plus also, rod-brake bikes, Or you could build up a bike with Nexus
Auto-D and hydraulic brakes. Those are all bad ideas, of course, because
Bowden cables rock.

As for bicyclists and their equipment, Jobst is noting the very real
pheonomenon of gearheads, which is not at all limited to cycling. The
basic gearhead syndrome is an overactive fascination with the equipment
for an activity, to the point that it can overshadow actually
participating in the activity itself.

I know about this, because I am one. My cycling-equipment obsession is
well out of hand*.

Jobst is suggesting that your product ideas are so tangential to the
enjoyment of cycling as to be likely to appeal only to people for whom
riding takes a back seat to the equipment itself.

*but because I'm a scrounger, it's fairly cheap. It just takes up a lot
of time and space.

Old May 6th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On 2008-05-05, bicycle_disciple wrote:
[...]

Carl, is the research sorting into a book ? Your posts appear
representative of a voluminous store of knowledge. Some has time
passed since you began this trip.

I'm simple minded. If the gizmo isn't simple minded like me and
reliable, well made, and easy to use then forgetttaboiutit STEEL IS
REAL. SHIMANO DEORE.
there's great beauty in that direction.

My cable is cut in a few minutes and in a few weeks, after I
remanufacture the new van (drive by wire), I'm off to Vancouver via
the front range and Continental Divide on muh Redline 29er MonoDog.

I'll report back on the state of the bear.

adios !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eyayha !
Old May 6th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:47:37 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
wrote:

My cable is cut in a few minutes and in a few weeks, after I
remanufacture the new van (drive by wire), I'm off to Vancouver via
the front range and Continental Divide on muh Redline 29er MonoDog.

I'll report back on the state of the bear.

adios !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eyayha !

Buon viaggio, gene.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983 (our 25th year!)
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
Phone: 305-273-4440
http://www.businesscycles.com
-------------------------------
Old May 6th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:06:07 -0700 (PDT), bicycle_disciple
may have said:

Part 1 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-1.html

1. A solution to a problem that does not need one this complicated.
2. Biology supplies a perfectly adequate solution inherently; if this
were not true, riding would be impossible. This is a non-problem
generating needless and useless endeavour.
3. The mania-for-measurement movement gains another potential way to
separate the marks from their money. Just Say No.
4. What next, banning top tubes due to testicular damage hazard? The
problem articulated is ridiculous; there's a better reason in favor of
forward-facing front dropouts on a limited subset of forks, but none
for the average user.
5. Technology addressing a burning non-issue. Those who have such a
phobia about finish apperance will be severely mocked.
6. Quadruple the weight of the bike just to slow it down? Magnetic
braking works great on stationary equipment where the required mass of
equipment is not a disadvantage. magnetic braking systems are
*heavy*; one capable of effectively reducing the volocity of a bike
with 180 lb rider would easily weigh three times as much as the
average full-suspension Walgoose. This is a non-solution.

Part 2 : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...ts-part-2.html

7. Science fiction; might be technically possible in 30 to 100 years,
and might be executable in a useful manner in 150 years. At that
point, the subject of "why bother" can be addressed.
8. See 7. The fact that an idea can be articulated does not imply
that it can be executed. Cancel your subscription to Popular Science
while you still have the capacity to think clearly.
9. Motorcyclists can tell you why turn signals on a bike are not very
useful. This has been tried as far back as the 1920s at least, using
various llighting systems. It isn't the type of light that makes it
not useful, it's the fact that the signals do not produce the desired
effect which makes it fail.
10. Bike porn. See Rule 34. get a large-format printer and don't
tell us what you do with it, OK?
11. It's been made by Brooks for over 100 years. You're a bit late.
12. Do Not Start A Helmet Thread. Plus, the idea is just plain dumb.
13. Why not add a cell phone, a PDA with games, and a post-crash
locator beacon so that the EMTs will know where to find the carcass?
Seriously, when riding, the rider's focus needs to be ON THE ROAD.
14. Oh, good grief. Find the person who suggested this and tie them
to the front bumper of a BFI collection truck, please.
15. No electronic system can match the cost-effectiveness of a cable,
period.

Comments welcome.

15 swings, 15 misses. Bottom of the second inning, and the visiting
team has yet to make it to first base.