Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Old May 29th 04, 08:35 PM
Curtis L. Russell

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

On 29 May 2004 13:12:15 -0500, Frederic Briere
wrote:

Nothing wrong with mixte frames. I use one for short Sunday morning

Aren't they reportedly less stiff than DF? Of course, if you're putting
together a trashmo, that may not be a concern. Or maybe it is, if
you're hauling a load.

A true mixte frame can easily be as stiff as a full diamond fame. I
remember a Motebecane that used twin tubes from just below the head
set to (from memory) the rear hub dropout. Plenty stiff.

If used interchangeably with any open ('woman's') frame, the non-mixte
open frame, lacking the additional support, are usually less stiff.
That's not what we called a mixte.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old May 29th 04, 11:29 PM
Rick Onanian

wrote:
Aren't they reportedly less stiff than DF? Of course, if you're putting
together a trashmo, that may not be a concern. Or maybe it is, if
you're hauling a load.

Well, I wouldn't try to set any personal records on it, but it's a
pleasant ride, and sufficiently quick for occasional use.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:35:34 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:
If used interchangeably with any open ('woman's') frame, the non-mixte
open frame, lacking the additional support, are usually less stiff.
That's not what we called a mixte.

I stand corrected. It is probably a ladies frame; I thought 'mixte'
was the same thing. It hasn't got the S-shaped parallel tubes;
rather, the bike in question is like an exaggerated compact. It's a
Schwinn World Foobar, where Foobar is the part of the decal that is
illegible.

However, my girlfriend's old Schwinn Caliente, with the common
S-shaped tubes, is also fine. Rides smooth, and I'm scarcely slower
on it than my ultra-stiff alumiracer...
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 30th 04, 02:14 PM
GRL

You make your own case for why a parent with "limited means" would buy their
kid a $100 bike at Wal-Mart instead of a $200 bike at some bike shop. It's
not just the bike the kid wants. He wants a $150 Playstation and $50 games,
a $100+ mp3 player, the "right" sneakers, a computer, etc. etc. I grew up in
the 60's and I remember what my parents paid for my bike (a 24" Ranger) and
I know that if you did the inflation numbers it would be an impressive
amount in current dollars, but I also know that they were NOT buying me much
else in the way of toys.

This bike shop bike bigotry really irks me. I bought a Mongoose Switchback
Cx "comfort" (aluminum frame, chrome-molly fork) bike at Dick's 3 years ago
for $225. I use it a LOT (put an odometer on it last June and it reads 3300
miles in that time and I did not use it at all this last winter), 17+ miles
a day every day when weather permits. (Rode it most days through the winter
when it was over 20 F - mid-Michigan - the first two winters I had it. I
have had to replace the tires, a worn out bottom bracket, replaced brake
pads, and deal with a broken spoke problem that was my fault, (I was
over-inflating the skinny tires in search of lower rolling resistance). I
call that very satisfactory performance for $225. I don't for a second think
I would have gotten better performance from a $500+ bike I got at a bike
shop.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
news

WalMart fills a real need, hence the reason for their success.

But that need is not to supply people with an adequate bike for their

kids;
rather, the need they serve is to sell a BSO (bike shaped object) that
presents a very poor bicycle experience and thus turns away a lot of young
kids from the fun & joys & practicality that a bicycle can offer.

You use the argument that many people can't afford a bike from a bike

shop,
which is undoubtedly true. However, many people can, but have rearranged
their priorities such that a bicycle now fits into the "toy" category,
rather than a durable good. If you want proof, look at what people pay

for
cheap bicycles now vs 30 years ago. I recall the kid down the street
getting a Sears 3-speed that cost $48 (in 1962). I got a Monarch

24"-wheel
bike (which I still have in the basement), and was about $30. Those

bikes,
in today's dollars, would sell for $180 & $288. Yet the bikes parents are
buying their kids at WalMart are in the $40-$90 range.

Parents are still spending money... LOTS of money... on their kids. Their
priorities have changed radically though. They don't bat an eye at

spending
$200 for a video game console, and who-knows-how-much each month for new
games.

For many, it's all about priorities. Sure, there are some families who
could only afford a bike from WalMart. But if a family has a Playstation

or
an X-Box (or both) and a bunch of games... sorry, I cannot buy your

argument
that WalMart is serving some noble purpose by selling cheap bikes, nor

that
those kids are better off with them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Eric D" wrote in message
om...
"Mike Kruger" wrote
It's not evil not to carry parts. It's just a different business

model.

Over time, this business model will fit some aspects of the business

better
than others.
It fits children's bikes pretty well, because people want inexpensive

bikes
and they don't have to last long.

Mike,
Right on! Your comments hit on something that I believe most people
seem to ignore or just don't understand. People that make comments
about the "local bike shop is the only place to buy a bike" are trying
to group all biking activities into one category. Sorry, but that's
just not real world. Some people have the means to buy a bike from
other then WalMart or other discount store. That's great! Good for
those that can. However, there are many who can not afford $500 or
more for a bike. This is another group. Just like the high end bike
users they too desire to ride a bike as opposed to nothing. WalMart
fills a real need, hence the reason for their success. Peolpe can bad
mouth others that buy from WalMart all they want, they won't change a
thing. Knowing this, I believe that a number of people that continue
to bad mouth WalMart bike and people that buy them, are on nothing
more then an ego-trip. Bad mouthing makes them feel superior and in
their minds justifies the high cost of their bike.

Old May 30th 04, 06:08 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:14:12 -0400, "GRL"
wrote:

(Rode it most days through the winter
when it was over 20 F - mid-Michigan - the first two winters I had it. I
have had to replace the tires, a worn out bottom bracket, replaced brake
pads, and deal with a broken spoke problem that was my fault, (I was
over-inflating the skinny tires in search of lower rolling resistance). I
call that very satisfactory performance for $225. I don't for a second think
I would have gotten better performance from a $500+ bike I got at a bike
shop.

Well, I would expect better than replacing the bottom bracket in 3300
to 5000 miles of riding in a $ 500 bike.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old May 30th 04, 06:16 PM
Pete

wrote:

(Rode it most days through the winter
when it was over 20 F - mid-Michigan - the first two winters I had it. I
have had to replace the tires, a worn out bottom bracket, replaced brake
pads, and deal with a broken spoke problem that was my fault, (I was
over-inflating the skinny tires in search of lower rolling resistance). I
call that very satisfactory performance for $225. I don't for a second

think
I would have gotten better performance from a $500+ bike I got at a bike
shop.

Well, I would expect better than replacing the bottom bracket in 3300
to 5000 miles of riding in a $ 500 bike.

Friend of mine jut traded in a $200 Costco 'full susp' Mongoose for a $220
Trek hardtail. Amazed at the difference.

Pete

Old May 31st 04, 12:28 AM
Pat

"
[...]

If by bike shop bigotry, you mean YOUR bigotry, I'd say you've hit it dead
on.
You DO seem to have a lot of bias against bike shops by your super-defensive
post.

Pat in TX

Old May 31st 04, 01:48 AM
Tom Keats

wrote:

(Rode it most days through the winter
when it was over 20 F - mid-Michigan - the first two winters I had it. I
have had to replace the tires, a worn out bottom bracket, replaced brake
pads, and deal with a broken spoke problem that was my fault, (I was
over-inflating the skinny tires in search of lower rolling resistance). I
call that very satisfactory performance for $225. I don't for a second think
I would have gotten better performance from a $500+ bike I got at a bike
shop.

Well, I would expect better than replacing the bottom bracket in 3300
to 5000 miles of riding in a $ 500 bike.

Sometimes those bearing ball cages so typical on less
expensive bikes can go askew (improper installation)
and get ground to something resembling fine lathe shavings.

Some folks recommend replacing caged BB bearing balls
with loose ones. I'm one of 'em. Maybe if that had
been done in the first place, the BB problem might
have never occurred. It's a cheap (a few cents and
some DIY labour) modification/improvement. Even some
LBS-bought bikes can benefit from it.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 31st 04, 05:11 PM
Rick Onanian

wrote:
deal with a broken spoke problem that was my fault, (I was
over-inflating the skinny tires in search of lower rolling resistance).

How would overinflation cause spoke problems?

Spoke breakage has two possible causes in almost every case:
- Direct trauma, such as getting something caught in the spokes
- Bad wheel build (insufficient tension and/or not stress relieved)

Use groups.google.com to search rec.bicycles.tech for endless
discussions; read articles on sheldonbrown.com for how-to
instructions; and read The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt for all the
theory and practice involved.

Overinflating a wheel that was not sufficiently tensioned would
hasten it's failure, I suppose; the low-tension spokes would, on
radial compression of the rim, go entirely slack. Once they slacken
easily, they can break quickly.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 31st 04, 10:13 PM

Rick Onanian writes:

deal with a broken spoke problem that was my fault, (I was
over-inflating the skinny tires in search of lower rolling
resistance).

How would over-inflation cause spoke problems?

Spoke breakage has two possible causes in almost every case:
- Direct trauma, such as getting something caught in the spokes
- Bad wheel build (insufficient tension and/or not stress relieved)

Use groups.google.com to search rec.bicycles.tech for endless
discussions; read articles on sheldonbrown.com for how-to
instructions; and read The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt for all the
theory and practice involved.

Thanks for the plug.

Over-inflating a wheel that was not sufficiently tensioned would
hasten it's failure,.

It might hasten spoke loosening but it will not affect spoke life
significantly, the spokes already operating at far less tension
(stress) than their properly built counterparts.

I suppose; the low-tension spokes would, on radial compression of
the rim, go entirely slack. Once they slacken easily, they can break
quickly.

Low tension does not accelerate spoke failure although it often allows
spoke nipples to unscrew and cause the wheel lose trueness or even
collapse. However, the correlation may be that wheels built too
loosely are also not stress relieved and therefore have more spoke
failures, but not from low tension.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 2nd 04, 04:26 AM
GRL

The replacement bottom bracket cost $30 installed by a mechanic. That 3300
miles was in under one year of use and I've had the thing for 3 years.
Multiply by about 3 to get the three year total use. It spent most of two
winters in near daily use in mid-Michigan (cold and snow and salt).
Impressed yet? I am.

Oh yeah, it has a sweet pearlescent red paint job that still looks great
when the bike gets a wash.