So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

Old June 2nd 20, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 2:21:35 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

There's a high correlation in Australia between being a descendant of transported criminals and being a fanatic for a republic. -- AJ
Old June 2nd 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 2:18:06 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/1/2020 11:20 PM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:08:20 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

Of all people to use the term "parasite" you have to be the funniest.
You are a tick on the body public. You do not nor have you ever pulled
your own weight. And then to called people who actually provide not just
a needed service but one that even supplies what the environmentalists
have asked for - less personal auto use - makes you just about the
lowest layer on the parasite ladder.

The richest(? second) richest man in australia said; onl a fools pay more
tax in australia that he has to. Hmm, the advice of poor Tommy, or Kezza?
I think i'll stick with Kezza's advice.

"only a fools pay more tax... that he has to"

I'm sorry I can't find anything untrue or objectionable in
that simple statement.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I had a share in my mate Kerry's offshore sovereign island, whose citizens we declared immune to Australia's taxes. I designed the flag and the passport with a prominent fist showing one finger pointed upwards. (Technically, "the digit to Heaven on a ground argent", something like that anyhow, according to a fellow who was at college with me who worked briefly in the chief herald's office in London, whatever the fellow's grand title is -- Slow Johnny will look it up for us, but it's drinks time here so ciao.) The Revenue threatened to jail us and we had to pay. But it was a good joke while it lasted, though the pinkos from the Revenue didn't as much as smile.

Andre Jute
I don't forget and I don't forgive, especially the transgressions of tax collectors -- Among Other Remarks Jesus of Nazareth Never Made
Old June 2nd 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 5:24:07 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:56:05 PM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

I got my gravel bike for almost half-price from Western Bikeworks --
which has closed its showroom and gone entirely on line. That was a
shame, although it thankfully dodged the whole COVID-19 debacle which
might put it in a position to reopen another bricks and mortar store.

Speaking of COVID-19 and bikes, my best biking buddy just bought a new
component group for his 12 year old CF Pinarello (pro deal direct from
Campagnolo) and needed some new HS and BB bearings to finish the build.
He didn't want to internet order, so he went down and stood in line
outside of River City bikes. All the shops have you wait outside. He
says it takes a half an hour to buy a tube because of the lines.

That's crazy, even an ambulance driver could fix a punctured (bicycle) tube
in under half an hour!

Come on, you know what these people are up to. The "tube" customers will
bicycle to participate in rioting and looting. Riding through the resultant
debris, they know from experience they'll need spare tubes to get away.
https://youtu.be/BRUQQd8_KuA?t=180

While the ball bearings buyers ... probably will just build bombs like your
fellow lawyers:
https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/molotov-cocktail-tossing-lawyers-tried-to-pass-out-explosives-cops/

Yikes, and I was worried about consorting with weed smokers when I raced on a team filled with Bohemian bike messengers. Those two are gonna get their tickets yanked, assuming they were admitted to any bar in the first place.

On a lighter note, our former paralegal, later lawyer and Court of Appeals judge, Bob Wollheim, protested Vietnam by dodging the draft, served a prison sentence and got admitted to the bar. https://www.reed.edu/reed-magazine/i...llheim-70.html Interestingly, that article mentions the chief judge, Rick Haselton, who was also a partner in my firm and my mentor. Anyway, protest the right way and you can get a license. Bombing is probably not the right way, but you know, things change. Maybe bombing is O.K. now -- like eScooters.

-- Jay Beattie.

OK, now that was funny. I was hoping that you'd make a wise crack and leave an opening for me to insult you. Darn it.
Old June 2nd 20, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 6:26:34 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

The lad is 53 years old and hasn't paid full price for a bike in decades. He's in the industry and gets pro deals and has never paid anywhere near $10K for a bike. He's also fast and kicked my ass today on our lunch time ride.

The fascinating thing about his old Pinarello is that it uses 6806 bearings (standard BB30 bearings) for the headset, and you press them in. His install was off or the HS was out of adjustment, so he stopped on a climb to fix it, and I just rode by -- the only way I beat him to the top. I'm hoping other parts need on-road adjusting.

Another fascinating thing is that Campy 12 cassettes all come 11/29, 11/32 and 11/34! Gads, what happened to the corn-cob days of yore when 13/21 was your freewheel for climbing, and you had a 42t inner chain ring and not 34t. We have become weak!

-- Jay Beattie.

Something is going on with me. I did a 25 miles ride today. It had a lot of climbing in it but I was moving at the pace of a snail and was completely exhausted. Most of my rides lately have been that way. I'll have to make an appointment with the doctor I suppose.
Old June 2nd 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 6:36:17 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/1/2020 8:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 5:48:04 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 08:12:58 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:15:48 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 22:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, 1 June 2020 00:28:47 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 18:49:33 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:55:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Actually Frank, I wasn't advocating anything. I was arguing that an
entity has the right to do what it wishes with it's own property..
Are you arguing that one doesn't?

Nope. As I said, a person generally has the right to do what one likes
with his property, assuming it doesn't harm others. But still, some
things a person might choose to do are, well, stupid. That person
shouldn't be surprised if other people mention that stupidity.

Just as one must certainly be a bit off to spend, oh say, $3,000 on a
bicycle.... and ride it in the rain?

Many would say that's stupid. Others would disagree. That disagreement
could lead to rational discussion, from which various people might
learn a thing or two. If only we could find a discussion group where
such things could be discussed!

- Frank Krygowski

Well, given that it is (still I hope) a democracy we need to take a
vote. Question? Riding a $3,000 bicycle in the rain is just plain
silly.

You care to estimate percentages pro and con if we go to any large
population center and ask the first 100 people that walk down the
street?
--
cheers,

John B.

Back in 1985 or 1986 I bought a brand new Columbus SL racing bicycle with a complete Dura Ace Indexed groupset. At that time the bike cost $1,500,00 CDN That's $3,192.00CDN today. Many times I had to ride that bike home from work in the rain.

For some people (not me) a $3,000.00+ bike is not that expensive and thus they might treat it as we'd treat a beater bike.

For others a $3,000.00+ bike might be the ONLY bike they own and thus will ride it in the rain too.

Cheers

Look at the TREK site. $3,000 is chicken feed when it comes to
bicycles.
How about the "Checkpoint SL" Described as " an adventure-hungry
carbon gravel bike that can help you crush the toughest, longest
rides". Selling for only $5,999.99, a pittance for a bike of this
nature.

You seem to be shocked by the price of bikes. My shock level doesn't start until five figures, and there are a lot of five-figure bikes, believe it or not. My son loves to quote OTC prices on top-end eBikes just to test my shock level. https://tinyurl.com/y7gorhu7

Not shocked at bike prices just pondering a society where some see
nothing excessive in spending , oh say, $10,000 on a bicycle when at
the average U.S. minimum wage it would take a working man 6.6 months
to earn that amount ( total wages disregarding living costs).
Reminiscent of Russia in 1917.

And thinking back to when I was working and used to hire lawyers :-)

The Checkpoint is actually a good value bike for what you get -- not bargain basement, but Trek has some nice offerings that you can get on annual discounts. I wouldn't buy the high-end 1X because I spend too much time on the pavement getting to gravel, and 1X would drive me nuts.

I got my gravel bike for almost half-price from Western Bikeworks -- which has closed its showroom and gone entirely on line. That was a shame, although it thankfully dodged the whole COVID-19 debacle which might put it in a position to reopen another bricks and mortar store.

Speaking of COVID-19 and bikes, my best biking buddy just bought a new component group for his 12 year old CF Pinarello (pro deal direct from Campagnolo) and needed some new HS and BB bearings to finish the build. He didn't want to internet order, so he went down and stood in line outside of River City bikes. All the shops have you wait outside. He says it takes a half an hour to buy a tube because of the lines.

Why didn't you go down and help the lad out. After all, a bloke that
will front up $10,000 for a bicycle must, certainly, go to the head of
the line. Mustn't he?

The lad is 53 years old and hasn't paid full price for a bike in decades. He's in the industry and gets pro deals and has never paid anywhere near $10K for a bike. He's also fast and kicked my ass today on our lunch time ride.

The fascinating thing about his old Pinarello is that it uses 6806 bearings (standard BB30 bearings) for the headset, and you press them in. His install was off or the HS was out of adjustment, so he stopped on a climb to fix it, and I just rode by -- the only way I beat him to the top. I'm hoping other parts need on-road adjusting.

Another fascinating thing is that Campy 12 cassettes all come 11/29, 11/32 and 11/34! Gads, what happened to the corn-cob days of yore when 13/21 was your freewheel for climbing, and you had a 42t inner chain ring and not 34t. We have become weak!

-- Jay Beattie.

When Campagnolo said 'Twelve' I rolled my eyes. But the
current line is packed full of wonderful innovative
features, 34t with a short changer being one of them.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I'm sure that Pro racers can use a 12 or 11 or 10. But for a normal sports rider the effective use of gears halted at 8 speeds. The rest of this increasing number of gears for the sports rider is just a reason for people that don't know any better to buy a new bike.
Old June 2nd 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 4:30:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm sure that Pro racers can use a 12 or 11 or 10. But for a normal sports rider the effective use of gears halted at 8 speeds. The rest of this increasing number of gears for the sports rider is just a reason for people that don't know any better to buy a new bike.

To paraphrase Andrew Muzi: "Tomorrow's headline NYT: "Frank Krygowski finally agrees with Tom Kunich!" ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 2nd 20, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 4:25:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Something is going on with me. I did a 25 miles ride today. It had a lot of climbing in it but I was moving at the pace of a snail and was completely exhausted. Most of my rides lately have been that way. I'll have to make an appointment with the doctor I suppose.

I've mentioned my friend, now living in a distant state, who caught COVID-19 and
was on a ventilator for a solid month, but survived. Several days ago I mentioned
hearing that after three weeks of rehab, he can now go 300 feet with his walker.
This guy was a perfectly healthy strong and fast rider.

I got a bit more detail on his acquiring the disease. My fast friends told me he
was back here on a visit and riding with them when he just couldn't keep up.. He
was riding slower and slower, stopping every mile or two to rest. Seems that was
one of the first signs something might be seriously wrong.

But it was still weeks before his wife forced him to go to the hospital. I don't
know the moral - maybe just "be careful."

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 2nd 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 08:21:38 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

He is referring to the Thai laws that protect the king from slander.
Which admittedly are rather draconian, but have been essentially
unchanged since they were establish after the revolution of 1932 when
the Chakri absolute monarchy was overthrown and Thailand became a
constitutional monarchy.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 13:47:21 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 4:30:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm sure that Pro racers can use a 12 or 11 or 10. But for a normal sports rider the effective use of gears halted at 8 speeds. The rest of this increasing number of gears for the sports rider is just a reason for people that don't know any better to buy a new bike.

To paraphrase Andrew Muzi: "Tomorrow's headline NYT: "Frank Krygowski finally agrees with Tom Kunich!" ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Strange you know. I definitely remember reading that 5 gears was all
any normal person required and this insane desire for more was simply
due to marketing hype :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 05:58:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 08:21:38 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

He is referring to the Thai laws that protect the king from slander.
Which admittedly are rather draconian, but have been essentially
unchanged since they were establish after the revolution of 1932 when
the Chakri absolute monarchy was overthrown and Thailand became a
constitutional monarchy.

As an addendum, it was actually Siam that became a constitutional
monarchy.
--
cheers,

John B.