Does every WA & OR 'bent have a fairing?

Old March 3rd 05, 08:26 PM

Default Does every WA & OR 'bent have a fairing?

Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just suffer?

C.C., need to know

Old March 4th 05, 03:45 AM

Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just

suffer?

C.C., need to know

Hmmm... I don't know *every* recumbent rider in Washington and Oregon,
but it sure seems that way at times. :-) There's a better
representation at the Recumbent Retreat website:
http://www.recumbentretreat.org/

I think the popularity of Easy Racer products with Zzipper fairings has
a lot to do with their widespread appearance. Combine that with the
ease of making body socks, and they do appear to take over.

The wind can be fierce at times. Here in the Portland area, the mouth
of the Columbia Gorge tends to concentrate the flow through the
Cascades. Consistent winds of 15 to 25 mph are not uncommon. Also, the
floor of the Willamette Valley is pretty flat, so climbing prowess is
not neccessarily an advantage. Take a look at the elevation profiles of
this year's Cycle Oregon and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.cycleoregon.com/week/route.htm

Yes, upright riders suffer.

Jeff

Old March 4th 05, 03:48 AM
Steve Knight

I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw a fellow
with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look like that (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old March 4th 05, 05:00 AM

Steve Knight wrote:
I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw

a fellow
with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look

like that (G)

Yeah, well... the first time you get passed by a grey-haired guy on a
socked Tour Easy who's going 5 mph faster than you, you'll say "I gotta
get me one of them!"

:-O

Jeff

P.S. going to join us for the Rites of Spring?
http://www.ohpv.org/ride_details/rites2005.htm

Old March 4th 05, 06:19 AM
Mark Leuck

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Knight wrote:
I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw

a fellow
with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look

like that (G)

Yeah, well... the first time you get passed by a grey-haired guy on a
socked Tour Easy who's going 5 mph faster than you, you'll say "I gotta
get me one of them!"

:-O

Jeff

That or a low racer Optima Baron

Old March 4th 05, 12:59 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Steve Knight" wrote

[...] I saw a fellow with a body sock for the fist time.
sorry but I don't want to look like that (G)

Same sentiment of many regarding bicycle racers and of
some conventional cyclists regarding any recumbent rider...
Maybe they/we don't know what we're missing along the
Pollen Path.

Jon Meinecke
net.subtle-apteryx

--

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for
the future of the human race."

Old March 4th 05, 05:10 PM
Steve Knight

Yeah, well... the first time you get passed by a grey-haired guy on a
socked Tour Easy who's going 5 mph faster than you, you'll say "I gotta
get me one of them!"

I have been so sick for the last three years I got passed by girls on single
speed boon tire bikes. well I am filling far better this week and got passed far
less.
but I mostly commute so it would be pointless. if I want to go fast I need to
invest in a racer (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old March 6th 05, 07:29 PM

What!!! Does The Kochanowski live near Seattle or Portland? Exactly
where? When I visit the area I'd love to Worship at the Shrine. Maybe
visit the back alley with the trashcans. I'm going to the gym right
now to practice my dead lifts. I'm serious.

C.C.

recumbents suck EVsolutions Recumbent Biking 30 September 10th 04 06:56 AM
Wheel and arm bent Roja Doja UK 40 August 13th 04 10:01 AM
Bicycle Mag -- Bent Stuff Joe Keenan Recumbent Biking 1 January 29th 04 03:44 PM
Black Bent Down: Worst Experience on a Bent This Year jim h Recumbent Biking 14 November 30th 03 10:58 PM