FS: 2003 Burley Canto for sale

Old March 15th 05, 04:36 AM
TrailBarge

Default FS: 2003 Burley Canto for sale

2003 Burley Canto for sale
2000 miles
Jannd Mountaineering rack
Burley rack adapter
Burley speed struts
Planet Bike fenders front & rear
2 Bottle cages

Shimano RapidFire shifters
Shimano 105 front derailleur - OE on rear
Chain minder at BB
high end grips
kick stand
High end rim tape in rear wheel
Tires
front: OE Primo Comet
rear: New Panaracer T-ser (150 miles)

There is a Mirrycle mirror on the left bar end with temp repair job.

This is an excellent bike in good condition. Some normal wear and scratches,
not abused. I only rode it in the rain once.

I weigh over 250lbs and the monotube passive suspension ride, although great
for you sub 200 pounders, is a bit flexy for me.

All of the upgrades would jack the price of this wonderful bike up from the
retail of $1300 to something approaching $2000. I am hoping to recoup $1200
for it, but I will entertain offers in the neighborhood. If this bike does
not sell, it will be traded in on my upgrade. This is an opportunity for
someone to get a better value than they could get at a shop and a better
offer than I would get trading it in. Sounds like a win-win.

I've had this posted in the usual places and I got more scammers than real
inquiries. My rising frustration may well get an offer accepted. posting
to the newsgroup is sort of a last-ditch effort.

I have some pix and commentary posted on my old college website. Email me
and I'll send the URL.

If this is marginally interesting, the bike is in Erie, PA. I will be
travelling to Maryland fairly soon, so anyone interested down thataway may
get shipping issues resolved.

Thanx, all !!

Old March 16th 05, 03:17 PM
Glenn Buckholtz

Hi!

I can't find a valid email address on this post. I would like to see more
of this Canto though.

Glenn

Old March 17th 05, 04:05 AM
TrailBarge

I threw the pictures onto my old college website.
The pictures are quite large, so I figured this was perhaps the best way.
Besides, this group won't let me post binaries.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/p/s/psp2/
If this link does not work, I'll shrink the pix and send them to you
directly via email.

The first pic is a rear quarter shot with good detail of the bike, speed
struts and all. The speed struts are currently attached to the dropouts.
They are supposed to be attached to the hardpoints just abaft of where the
chainstays meet the monotube (where the rack adapters are attached). Three
things changed that. First and second, I had the seat all the way back and
maxed out on recline.... they were too long to go where they were supposed
to. Third, by moving the struts to the dropouts, I triangulated out as much
of the flex as possible. Moving the struts is no big deal... easy with an
allen wrench and 10 minutes.

I have changed a couple things since the pic was taken. My hands sweat a
lot in the humidity here along the great lakes. I swapped out the grip
shifts for some really nice grips and rapidfire shifters. I also upgraded
the tire to the Panaracer that was mentioned in the original post.

The trunk bag is my wife's. I'm not allowed to include it. =

The second is of my brother riding the bike. He is a bit smaller than I am,
so you can see why I'm getting a stiffer frame. He is 6'2" to my 6'4" and I
outweigh him by a good 30 lbs. The Burley passive suspension should work
well for anybody within shouting distance of normal size.

Paul Podbielski

Old March 17th 05, 05:39 AM
TrailBarge

Longbikes Slipstream

I figure the bombproof frame will more than make up for the increase in
weight.

Also, I've always wanted a LWB USS. I rode my first 'bent back in the 80's.
They were rentals on South Bass Island in western Lake Erie. these LWB USS
'bents were built by Gene Lemle and he called them Lightning Cycles. I hear
he's still around someplace, perhaps affiliated with something called the
first recumbent wing or some such. Anyway, I was a high school kid and did
not have the money at the time to buy the bikes he had for sale. I've been
jones-ing for one ever since.

I spent time in odd jobs and in the Army. Finally graduated from
engineering school in 97. Got my finances to a point where I could buy my
'bent. Wouldn't you know it... my wife wanted one too. I put off the
Slipstream and got the Canto to make room in the budget for her 'bent. The
compromise worked for a while, but now it is time for the upgrade.

I was going to use the remote steering arrangement on the Canto to make my
own USS and I would have been happy. It really IS a nice bike. I figured
that my slow climbing was because of the legendary (ahem) slow climbing of
'bents in general. Then my buddy was riding next to me on a particularly
nasty climb on the Tour of Chautauqua and he noticed that the frame was
flexing like all get out. See... I weigh a smidge over 280 and I have these
legs that I developed backpacking in the White Mountains and other places
where over 70% of the acerage is standing on end. I was good enough at it
that I always carried more than anyone else on the team. I quickly acquired
the trail nick "TrailBarge". Slow, ugly and graceless... but I can carry
anything I could hang on the pack frame.... I got piledriver legs.

Some segue, eh? At any rate, I figure that the frame flex was costing me
quite a bit in lost energy. People within shouting distance of average size
should not need to hammer so hard to winch themselves up a hill, plus the
simple decrease in tonnage should keep the natural frequency of the system
well above the driving frequency (hey, all you geeks with the slipsticks...
that was a joke. I have no idea of the harmonic characteristics of the
frame... especially in the unique way I had it set up). If you are below
250 lbs, you should find this bike a real gem.

Longbikes sez "We don't like wimpy components"... I'll be sure to put them
to the test.

--Paul, the TrailBarge

Old March 27th 05, 06:27 AM

This bike has been sold.