Seeking the most breathable rainjacket

Old June 2nd 05, 10:08 PM
Mark H.

Default Seeking the most breathable rainjacket

Greetings!

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but what
does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
Grail?

All assistance and admonishments welcome.

T.I.A..
Mark

Old June 2nd 05, 10:12 PM

make your own from material found at wyeeast fabrics
buy one from campmor.com
get a loan and buy one from colorado cyclist

Old June 2nd 05, 10:38 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old June 2nd 05, 10:46 PM
Mike Watson

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:08:22 GMT, "Mark H."
wrote:

Greetings!

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but what
does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
Grail?

All assistance and admonishments welcome.

T.I.A..
Mark

Might seem strange but...

I actually use a womans gortex jacket(probably intended for
hillwaking).

Doesnt bother me that it buttons up the wrong side. It was very cheap
(40ukp, around 60 dollars) in an end of line sale and as it is cut for
a woman its nice and trim so doesnt flap around in the wind.

Obviously very waterproof and I dont sweat like a pig in it which is
more than I can say about my non gortex but alledgely breathable
waterproof trousers.
--
Mike.
Some mountain photos, bad html
Old June 2nd 05, 11:22 PM
Ken

"Mark H." wrote in
:
May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

Breathable fabrics aren't. Get a jacket with vents if you want to use it in
the rain. Also, get one that fits snuggly so fabric doesn't flap around and
let rain in. I like Sugoi's products; those Canadians know how to deal with
rain. They fit more snuggly than some other brands, which I like, but others
may not.
Old June 2nd 05, 11:44 PM
Pat

wrote in message
ups.com...
: make your own from material found at wyeeast fabrics
: buy one from campmor.com
: get a loan and buy one from colorado cyclist

I googled wyeeast fabrics and didn't find anything. can you be more
specific?
:

Old June 2nd 05, 11:45 PM
Pat

Gore-Tex

Old June 3rd 05, 12:07 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:44:40 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
: make your own from material found at wyeeast fabrics
: buy one from campmor.com
: get a loan and buy one from colorado cyclist

I googled wyeeast fabrics and didn't find anything. can you be more
specific?
:

Dear Pat,

http://www.wyeastfabrics.com/

Carl Fogel
Old June 3rd 05, 12:13 AM

Mark H? writes:

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno
fabrics are promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable
than others, but what does that mean? If a fabric is really
waterproof, not merely water resistant, how much breathability can
it have? Or can it?

All this breathability is a sham if you ride hard. When cold outside
and riding hard, the steam inside the jacket will condense on the
inside and give you a wet jacket. In rain it needs to be zipped up
but while climbing it can be open as you bend over with no rain getting
in.

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't
feel clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking
the Holy Grail?

Get a parka with a sinchable hood because that is what you'll need
descending in rain or snow. In fact without a hood, descending larger
hills in the cold becomes impossible. It was one thing that enables
Andy Hampsten to pass frozen riders on his victory in the G d'I over
the Gavia Pass in the snow.

Such parkas are not sold in bicycle shops, but outdoor stores have
them and they are lightweight. Don't get Gore-tex, it doesn't dry
well and it's breathability is useless for a rider on a climb. It
gets wet inside and out and stays that way for the rest of the day.

I've tried them all.