Seeking the most breathable rainjacket

Old June 3rd 05, 12:48 AM
Peter Cole

Default Seeking the most breathable rainjacket

Mark H. wrote:
Greetings!

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but what
does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
Grail?

Depends on how much you sweat. I find membrane fabrics (Gore-tex)
useless for cycling, but very nice for walking in the rain.
Old June 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
Jay Beattie

"Mark H." wrote in message
Greetings!

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most

"breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno

fabrics are
promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than

others, but what
does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely

water
resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I

don't feel
clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking

the Holy
Grail?

All assistance and admonishments welcome.

Venting and tailoring are what matter and not the magical fabric.
I also think it is more important to pick a good undershirt and
jersey than the perfect jacket because no matter what jacket you
own, you are going to get wet (from the inside or the outside)
after enough time. The trick is to get layers that will dry
quickly and keep you warm when wet. If you are riding in mild
but wet weather, consider one of the mid-weight windstopper foul
weather jerseys (Assos, ExteOndo, Castelli, etc.). Good
breathability and no flapping, but only water resistant -- but
with the right undershirt, you stay relatively comfortable even
when you are wet. -- Jay Beattie.

Old June 3rd 05, 02:00 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Mark H. asked:

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most
"breathable" lightweight rain jacket?

I like the Helly Hansen "Packable Jacket" best:

http://www.hellyhansenclothing.com/

Old June 3rd 05, 04:12 AM
Larry

Mark H. wrote:
Greetings!

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I really like the Burley Rapid Rider. Of course, it was discontinued.
Burley may have replaced it with something. This jacket is NOT
breathable. In my experience none of the breathable fabrics work for
cycling. Of course, there're "new" ones out all the time. Just read
any outdoorsey web site, and if you believe the ad copy -- they have
just come out with the perfect thing. The Burley works so well because
of its excellent venting system: long pit zips, zips across the chest,
and a vented back. My second choice is a cheap nylon hooded jacket.
I, surprisingly, got one I like from Performance. It has vented pits,
and folds into a zippered pocket in the back.

Regards,
Larry

Old June 3rd 05, 05:17 AM
41

Mark H. wrote:

If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
resistant, how much breathability can it have?

None worth any athlete's money. First of all, when warm and active, you
sweat liquid water in addition to water vapour. So what you need is not
a breathable fabric, but a drain pipe. Second, for the water vapour,
you need a fan or AC, not a fabric that breathes a few molecules in and
out. Third, when liquid water lands on the jacket from the outside, it
forms an airproof layer which renders any breathability that the fabric
might have had, null. Gore-Tex seems to succeed to some people because
it is multi-layer, and the inner layer or layers have a low thermal
conductivity, and therefore condensation is reduced at that interface.
The teflon membrane (the Gore-Tex itself) has nothing to do with it.

For summer wear, your best bet is something with lots of ventilation:
underarm zippers and two way front zipper, back vents or shoulder vents
also help. Most outdoor-type parkas have a snap-over flap as well, and
for better ventilation you can use the snaps without the zipper.

The key is also what you wear underneath the shell: something that
handles water well, like wool or synthetics, or yes, even cotton in
some forms (stretchy knit) for shorter rides. So, a wool or synthetic
thin jersey, or possibly a stretch-knit cotton T-shirt, underneath a
waterproof or highly water resistant outer layer, highly vented, is the
best for warmer weather. For colder, long sleeve wool or sythetic
jersey, or wool sweater or pile/fleece jacket under the shell. These
have low thermal conductivity and are highly water repellent as well,
so even if the jacket is only highly water resistant, they will not
absorb much.

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace.

The clamminess comes from what you are wearing next to your skin, not
the shell. Try wool or Lifa-type- not lycra/spandex, which is clammy
even without the shell, in dry weather. The appearance of condensation
on the inside of the shell is affected only by the thermal conductivity
of the fabric, not its "breathability"; then, by any wicking action to
spread the liquid water out and get it away from the inside.

Old June 3rd 05, 02:48 PM
Arthur Harris

"Mark H." wrote:
May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but
what does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

Anything truly "waterproof" can't be breathable. There's always a tradeoff
between breathability and water resistance. I don't think there is any water
resistant fabric (including Gortex) that breathes well enough to keep a
cyclist riding moderately hard from getting clammy. Look for jackets with
vented backs and arm pits.

In warm weather, it might be better to get wet from the rain, than wet and
overheated from wearing rain gear. Either that or slow down to the point
where you're not generating much body heat.

Art Harris