Noisy Campy drive train

Old June 30th 05, 04:26 PM
AlanL

Default Noisy Campy drive train

Just bought my first Campy-equiped bike I'm quite pleased with the
Centaur 10 Triple gruppo, except for one thing: When I'm using the
middle chainring, the drive train is slightly noisy if I'm in any of
the four smallest cogs. It's wonderfully quiet in the larger cogs. I
can't seem to adjust it away (using the cable barrel adjusters). Not
sure if I'd get the same noise using the other chainrings (I don't use
them very often).

The bike shifts fine, and when it makes that noise, it doesn't seem to
be threatening to shift out of the gear. It just doesn't seem to be as
quiet as it should be.

Any suggestions?

Alan

Old June 30th 05, 06:57 PM
Joel

Check to see if the chain is rubbing against the inner side of the big
chain ring.

Old June 30th 05, 07:37 PM
AlanL

No, it's not. Nor is the position of the front derailleur cage an
issue; I know how to properly trim it as I shift through the rear
cogs.

The noise is definitely coming from the cogs.

Other ideas?

Old June 30th 05, 07:52 PM
App

Queried Alan:

Other ideas?

Two things:

1. Has the chain alignment been set to be perfect on the sixth cog?
The proper method (or that prescribed by Campy) is to shift to the
sixth cog in the rear and set the chain alignment. This will optimize
the der position over the cogset. Compared to a Shimano 10 drivetrain,
my Campy is silent (could be my chain cleaning regimen - see below).

2. New chain, I presume? Thoroughly clean the chain in a strong
solvent to remove the factory lube and re-lube with Prolink. I clean
my chain on the bike with Prolink per their instructions every ~150
miles and my chains go forever (3,000 miles on one of them and NO
detectable stretch). And they are quiet.

Good luck.

App

Old June 30th 05, 08:01 PM
Pete Biggs

AlanL wrote:
Just bought my first Campy-equiped bike I'm quite pleased with the
Centaur 10 Triple gruppo, except for one thing: When I'm using the
middle chainring, the drive train is slightly noisy if I'm in any of
the four smallest cogs. It's wonderfully quiet in the larger cogs. I
can't seem to adjust it away (using the cable barrel adjusters). Not
sure if I'd get the same noise using the other chainrings (I don't use
them very often).

The bike shifts fine, and when it makes that noise, it doesn't seem to
be threatening to shift out of the gear. It just doesn't seem to be
as quiet as it should be.

Is it noisier after using the thumb button and shifting to a smaller cog
(noiser than how it is after changing to a larger cog)? If so, it's due
to some play in the Ergo that lets it release a little too much cable,
which is only taken back up next time the finger lever is used.
Tightening the cable should stop this particular problem but then indexing
and shifting will be affected in other ways.

Hanger alignment can also be a factor.

~PB

Old June 30th 05, 08:48 PM
AlanL

1. Has the chain alignment been set to be perfect on the sixth cog?

Don't know. I'll have a look. By sixth, I presume you mean five cogs
over from the SMALLEST cog, right?

2. New chain, I presume? Thoroughly clean the chain in a strong

solvent to remove the factory lube and re-lube with Prolink.

Yes, it is a new chain. I've lubed it, but did not clean it first. I'll
try that. (For several years, I've quite happily used a "home brew"
lube that seems to be very similar to Prolink (three parts of odorless
mineral spirits, one part Mobil 1 synthetic oil. It's always worked
well on my Shimano bikes -- quiet, clean and chains are long-lived).

Old June 30th 05, 08:51 PM
AlanL

Is it noisier after using the thumb button and shifting to a smaller cog
(noiser than how it is after changing to a larger cog)? If so, it's
due
to some play in the Ergo that lets it release a little too much cable,
which is only taken back up next time the finger lever is used.

I haven't really noticed, but I'll pay attention to that on my next
ride. Now, if it'll only stop raining...

Old June 30th 05, 08:55 PM
App

Alan suggested:

By sixth, I presume you mean five cogs
over from the SMALLEST cog, right?

Actually, no (twice). Campy meant the sixth cog counting the largest
as #1.

Sorry 'bout the lack of clarity on my part.

Again, best o' luck.

App

Old June 30th 05, 09:14 PM
Donald Gillies

1. It could be your brand of chain. Some lower end chains are just
more noisy than others. It may manifest itself when the chain is
changing directions more, perhaps, in the small rear gears.

2. If you don't user other chainrings very often, then perhaps its
just that your derailleur isn't wrapping the chain very well. To
confirm this, try the big chainring - should be no noise in any
gears - then try the small chainring - should be noise in more
gears than ever.

good luck,

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old June 30th 05, 09:50 PM
AlanL

It could be your brand of chain.

It's Campy Record, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

If you don't user other chainrings very often, then perhaps its just that your derailleur isn't wrapping the chain very well. To confirm this, try the big chainring - should be no noise in any gears - then try the small chainring - should be noise in more gears than ever.

I'll add that to my list of things to try. This is a triple, with the
long cage RD. Could the use of the long cage derailleur have any
impact on whether the chain is under sufficient tension when it's on a
small cog? Could the chain be too long, too?

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station? David UK 1391 August 31st 04 01:58 PM
Nanodrive: The First 21st Century Drive Train System Sheldon Brown General 25 April 3rd 04 01:41 AM
"Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction Chalo General 86 December 3rd 03 05:41 AM