Cycling culture in NL.

Old April 4th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Cycling culture in NL.

Looking through last year's photo album this one shot shows how fully
cycling is a part of Dutch culture.

Wageningen, Gelderland - June 08.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/jun08ki.jpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 6th 09, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Simon Mason wrote:
Looking through last year's photo album this one shot shows how fully
cycling is a part of Dutch culture.

Wageningen, Gelderland - June 08.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/jun08ki.jpg

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pj...ix/ddbb3-2.jpg

Note the bike rack, it's for a bus-stop on the main road. It's almost
as if someone not only decided an integrated transport policy would be a
good thing, /but did something about it!/

In the UK, it wasn't until Roos pointed out it was bonkers that you had
to walk for a few minutes from Dundee station to catch a bus that I
/really/ realised what numpties we are about it in this country.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 6th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:09:12 +0100 someone who may be Peter Clinch
wrote this:-

In the UK, it wasn't until Roos pointed out it was bonkers that you had
to walk for a few minutes from Dundee station to catch a bus that I
/really/ realised what numpties we are about it in this country.

Indeed. Many moons ago I got off a ferry from England in Denmark. I
had to walk for as much as 20 seconds from the deck of the ship
before I got on the train to Copenhagen.

After a while the train went on to another ferry, in the UK people
would have been imprisoned on the train for "safety" (assuming the
"safety" people allowed the train on the ferry in the first place),
but we got off and had a wander round.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 6th 09, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

wrote this:-

In the UK, it wasn't until Roos pointed out it was bonkers that you had
to walk for a few minutes from Dundee station to catch a bus that I
/really/ realised what numpties we are about it in this country.

Indeed. Many moons ago I got off a ferry from England in Denmark. I
had to walk for as much as 20 seconds from the deck of the ship
before I got on the train to Copenhagen.

After a while the train went on to another ferry, in the UK people
would have been imprisoned on the train for "safety" (assuming the
"safety" people allowed the train on the ferry in the first place),
but we got off and had a wander round.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
*http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

No, No, No! That street looks simply horrible. What it needs is
narrower pavements, plus a few motorists driving along it at what they
perceive is a safe (to them anyway) speed (I'd suggest most of them
would decide that 40mph is about right).

These changes, plus some litter would convert it from a Dutch street
to its UK equivalent.
Old April 6th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andrew Price

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:55:25 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

[---]

After a while the train went on to another ferry, in the UK people
would have been imprisoned on the train for "safety" (assuming the
"safety" people allowed the train on the ferry in the first place),
but we got off and had a wander round.

Similarly in Italy, between Villa San Giovanni and Messina, you can
stay in the train or wander around the ferry.
Old April 6th 09, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

wrote this:-

[...]

Oh, nearly forgot... don't those cyclists realise how dangerous it is
not to be wearing helmets?

Old April 6th 09, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote this:-

[...]

Yes - I quite agree - I saw those stats from the Dutch Institute for
Road Safety Research - did you see these direct quotes:

Cyclists sustain severe head injury in 30% of the crashes, which is
much more frequently than for riders of other two-wheelers.

78% of in-patient cyclists have had a cyclist-only crash.

Severe head injuries are much more frequent after crashes with motor
vehicles (40%) and the victims die more often than victims of crashes
with no motor vehicles involved;

This leads to the conclusion that the proportion of cyclist
in-patients with severe head injuries from cyclist-only crashes is not
much lower than the average of 30%. Such a large percentage indicates
that head protection is useful for all cyclists.
--

Passenger casualty rates by mode Per billion passenger kilometers:
Killed or seriously injured:

Which do you think is the most dangerous?

Old April 17th 09, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Andrew Price wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:55:25 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

[---]

After a while the train went on to another ferry, in the UK people
would have been imprisoned on the train for "safety" (assuming the
"safety" people allowed the train on the ferry in the first place),
but we got off and had a wander round.

Similarly in Italy, between Villa San Giovanni and Messina, you can
stay in the train or wander around the ferry.

Have these people never seen "The Heros of Telemark"
Old April 17th 09, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:40:05 +0100, Marc
wrote:

Have these people never seen "The Heros of Telemark"

IRTA "The Heroes of Telemarketing" and wondered if it was ironic.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken