Mechanics carefully drill...

Old April 16th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

Default Mechanics carefully drill...

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...aixRaceStart31

Old April 16th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 7:07 am, "PiledHIgher" wrote:
Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Why would they do that? Sacrifice stem integrity so you can use canti
brakes? Doesn't seem like a wise trade-off to me. In Paris-Roubaix,
the only thing you need good brakes for is to avoid crashes from
people who's stems broke off on the pave!

Joseph

Old April 16th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

On Apr 16, 4:56 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 16, 7:07 am, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Why would they do that? Sacrifice stem integrity so you can use canti
brakes? Doesn't seem like a wise trade-off to me. In Paris-Roubaix,
the only thing you need good brakes for is to avoid crashes from
people who's stems broke off on the pave!

Joseph

Seems like it might be a better call on a muddy Roubaix, it was very
dry this year, seems extra strange.
\
Surely someone still makes an old skool stem with a properly
integrated hole?

Old April 16th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Apr 16, 12:56 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 16, 7:07 am, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Why would they do that? Sacrifice stem integrity so you can use canti
brakes? Doesn't seem like a wise trade-off to me. In Paris-Roubaix,
the only thing you need good brakes for is to avoid crashes from
people who's stems broke off on the pave!

Joseph

Where else ya gonna put the cable stop? Actually, not that big of a
deal..teeny hole, won't make the stem break. I have done it a few
times. Better idea is a brake hole mounbted cable stop like Cannondale
and Redline have/had. Bigger question is why Cantis? Don't the
standard pave tubies fit?

Old April 16th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Where else ya gonna put the cable stop? Actually, not that big of a
deal..teeny hole, won't make the stem break. I have done it a few
times. Better idea is a brake hole mounbted cable stop like Cannondale
and Redline have/had. Bigger question is why Cantis? Don't the
standard pave tubies fit?

Hey guys, it's 2007. Real cross bikes now use a bolt-on hanger at the
crown. Simple, cheap, stiff, clean lines.

Although I have built bikes to use a drilled stem (& post!) I wouldn't
now - not worth the risk when bolt-on hangers are available.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old April 16th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

"A Muzi" wrote in message
[...]

Similar to this?

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/tektro1257.jpg

With a low stem I guess the headset/steerer tube ones don't work well?

Greg
--
Ticket******* tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Old April 17th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"G.T." wrote:

"A Muzi" wrote in message
[...]

Argh! You guys are having this conversation right after I bought a
stem-mounted drop hanger, and now I find out they are so 2005!

BTW, I also found a suggestion online to use a rear cable stop bolted
(in place of a washer) to the face bolts of the stem! Wacky:

http://plusonelap.blogspot.com/2006/...-for-your.html

My old (now disassembled as a donor for the new bike) CX bike used a
drilled stem as a stop:

http://flickr.com/photos/rcousine/353507328/

I think the big size is just clear enough to show the cable routing.

After a season of racing, there were visible signs that the cable was
sawing the aluminum stem, as the holes were larger and non-round.

My original rationale for this trick was to set up a bodged combo of
bike and threadless fork that had zero clearance for any spacers between
stem and headset.

Then I changed frames, and so after that there was no rationale for the
hack.

I'll keep using the stem, but with pretty regular inspection for crack
formation.

Hopefully regular enough,

Old April 17th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Apr 16, 3:40 pm, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Who else has them but Redline??

Old April 17th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

A Muzi wrote:
Hey guys, it's 2007. Real cross bikes now use a bolt-on hanger at the
crown. Simple, cheap, stiff, clean lines.
Although I have built bikes to use a drilled stem (& post!) I wouldn't
now - not worth the risk when bolt-on hangers are available.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Who else has them but Redline??

They are made by Tektro and others, cheap and popular since 2003. I get
them from Redline.

Old April 17th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:40:23 -0500, A Muzi wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Depends on the stem angle and bike fit. Most of those leave no room for a flat
stem or even one that is only angled up slightly.

The kool kids in Belgium now hang a rear brake cable hanger from one of the stem
face bolts and run a noodle to it if needed. That'll probably be my next step.

The brake hole mounted hanger can actually help brake shudder problems in some
cases.

Ron

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

Fun with bikes: Mechanics [email protected] Australia 7 May 11th 06 10:10 AM
Can I safely drill through Chromoplastic? Yonatan Mazuz Techniques 9 January 9th 06 12:12 AM
Mechanics Training??? TrailRat UK 5 November 28th 05 09:53 AM
For LBS Mechanics [email protected] Techniques 4 August 14th 05 07:23 PM
Drill holes in bike frame? Pat General 11 September 28th 04 01:36 PM