After-a-puncture question

Old May 15th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default After-a-puncture question

A tiny splinter of glass penetrated tire and tube last week. Fortunately I
knew enough to go looking for it before I fixed the flat. Just to be safe, I
made a boot from a dollar bill.

Now that the tire is back on and the new tube is inflated, I cannot find the
puncture.

So my question is, Should I replace this tire before my next big ride? Or is
a small puncture like this one functionally insignificant?

Old May 15th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

OughtFour wrote:

A tiny splinter of glass penetrated tire and tube last week. Fortunately I
knew enough to go looking for it before I fixed the flat. Just to be safe, I
made a boot from a dollar bill.

Now that the tire is back on and the new tube is inflated, I cannot find the
puncture.

So my question is, Should I replace this tire before my next big ride? Or is
a small puncture like this one functionally insignificant?

As long as you removed that piece of glass.

What about the dollar bill? Are you leaving it there for a rainy day?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old May 15th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
What about the dollar bill? Are you leaving it there for a rainy day?

It was a rainy day when I got the flat. But seriously, I have a gimpy hand
and it is not worth the effort of taking off the tire for a buck.

At the rate I go through tubes it will be in hand soon enought anyway.

Old May 16th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Imagine that you are out for a ride, have a flat, and find that the
only thing you have is a twenty. So you go ahead and use the twenty
for a boot. Getting back to home, you contemplate the effort required
to remove the twenty and figure you might as well leave it in the tire
until you need to replace it or have another flat. The big question is
how long can you leave the twenty in the tire and still expect to be
able to spend it when you finally pull it out? Does anyone have any
first hand experience?

Denis K

Old May 16th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Denis K wrote:
Imagine that you are out for a ride, have a flat, and find that the
only thing you have is a twenty. So you go ahead and use the twenty
for a boot. Getting back to home, you contemplate the effort required
to remove the twenty and figure you might as well leave it in the tire
until you need to replace it or have another flat. The big question is
how long can you leave the twenty in the tire and still expect to be
able to spend it when you finally pull it out? Does anyone have any
first hand experience?

For a twenty, I'd change it this afternoon.

But my wife tells me I'm cheap.

Pat
Old May 16th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Denis K wrote:
Imagine that you are out for a ride, have a flat, and find that the
only thing you have is a twenty. So you go ahead and use the twenty
for a boot. Getting back to home, you contemplate the effort required
to remove the twenty and figure you might as well leave it in the tire
until you need to replace it or have another flat. The big question is
how long can you leave the twenty in the tire and still expect to be
able to spend it when you finally pull it out? Does anyone have any
first hand experience?

For a twenty, I'd change it this afternoon.

But my wife tells me I'm cheap.

Pat

You say that like it's a bad thing....

Old May 17th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Pat in TX wrote:
Denis K wrote:
Imagine that you are out for a ride, have a flat, and find that the
only thing you have is a twenty. So you go ahead and use the twenty
for a boot. Getting back to home, you contemplate the effort required
to remove the twenty and figure you might as well leave it in the tire
until you need to replace it or have another flat. The big question is
how long can you leave the twenty in the tire and still expect to be
able to spend it when you finally pull it out? Does anyone have any
first hand experience?

For a twenty, I'd change it this afternoon.

But my wife tells me I'm cheap.

Pat

You say that like it's a bad thing....

It is...if you're his wife. :O