Dangerous bike

Old August 10th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

Default Dangerous bike

Well, had a bit of a moment on Tuesday on my commute .. my bikes
getting up to the change the cogs etc moment ... basically under full
power away from the lights the chain comes off at the front chainring.
You tend to go down very fast when you have no chain .... One bruised
gonad later I decided it is time to replace everything.

So, I've replaced the chain and cassette and am thinking of changing
the triple to a double at the front. It's Sora stuff and am wondering
if the gear switcher thing will cope. Any ideas?

Old August 10th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 10 Aug, 11:43, elyob wrote:
snip
One bruised gonad later I decided it is time to replace everything.

/snip

Sounds a little drastic to me...

Old August 10th 07, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

On 10 Aug, 13:42, wrote:
On 10 Aug, 11:43, elyob wrote:
snip One bruised gonad later I decided it is time to replace everything.

/snip

Sounds a little drastic to me...

That snip was a little too well placed!

Old August 10th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

elyob wrote:
On 10 Aug, 13:42, wrote:
On 10 Aug, 11:43, elyob wrote:
snip One bruised gonad later I decided it is time to replace everything.

/snip

Sounds a little drastic to me...

That snip was a little too well placed!

Can we please stop talking about snips and gonads? :-(
Old August 10th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Aug 10, 11:43 am, elyob wrote:
Well, had a bit of a moment on Tuesday on my commute .. my bikes
getting up to the change the cogs etc moment ... basically under full
power away from the lights the chain comes off at the front chainring.

Was the cassette damaged by the slip up (or the cause?) I would have
thought it better to replace the front chainrings if they were the
problem... It sounds like the derailleur might need a look at though
if it's allowing the chain to come off the chainrings completely.

It could've been worse - the chain could've come off the back cogs and
(a) jammed between the cogs and frame or (b) jammed between the cogs
and spokes. (b) happened to me at the weekend while slowing from
35mph for a right turn - slowed me down all right!

peter

Old August 11th 07, 02:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"naked_draughtsman" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 10, 11:43 am, elyob wrote:
Well, had a bit of a moment on Tuesday on my commute .. my bikes
getting up to the change the cogs etc moment ... basically under full
power away from the lights the chain comes off at the front chainring.

Was the cassette damaged by the slip up (or the cause?) I would have
thought it better to replace the front chainrings if they were the
problem... It sounds like the derailleur might need a look at though
if it's allowing the chain to come off the chainrings completely.

It could've been worse - the chain could've come off the back cogs and
(a) jammed between the cogs and frame or (b) jammed between the cogs
and spokes. (b) happened to me at the weekend while slowing from
35mph for a right turn - slowed me down all right!

My bike is hitting 2000 miles .. (plus) ..

I think that is a big prob for my middle ring ....

Nick

Old August 11th 07, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

marc said the following on 10/08/2007 16:13:

Can we please stop talking about snips and gonads? :-(

Sounds like we're heading into a sensitive area ;-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 11th 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message om,
naked_draughtsman ') wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:43 am, elyob wrote:
Well, had a bit of a moment on Tuesday on my commute .. my bikes
getting up to the change the cogs etc moment ... basically under full
power away from the lights the chain comes off at the front chainring.

Was the cassette damaged by the slip up (or the cause?) I would have
thought it better to replace the front chainrings if they were the
problem...

If you need to replace the chainrings because of wear, you definitely need
to replace the cassette. Not doing so will end up getting /very/
expensive.

It sounds like the derailleur might need a look at though
if it's allowing the chain to come off the chainrings completely.

Why?

;; We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
;; languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their
;; pockets for new vocabulary -- James D. Nicoll

Old August 16th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Simon Brooke wrote:

in message om,
naked_draughtsman ') wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:43 am, elyob wrote:
Well, had a bit of a moment on Tuesday on my commute .. my bikes
getting up to the change the cogs etc moment ... basically under full
power away from the lights the chain comes off at the front chainring.

Was the cassette damaged by the slip up (or the cause?) I would have
thought it better to replace the front chainrings if they were the
problem...

If you need to replace the chainrings because of wear, you definitely need
to replace the cassette. Not doing so will end up getting /very/
expensive.

yup the cassettes are normally softer i certinaly worn out the cassette
on my old bike, now has a new one, while the chainrings are still fine.

It sounds like the derailleur might need a look at though
if it's allowing the chain to come off the chainrings completely.

Why?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 16th 07, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CoyoteBoy

On 16 Aug, 15:22, (Roger Merriman) wrote:

yup the cassettes are normally softer i certinaly worn out the cassette
on my old bike, now has a new one, while the chainrings are still fine.

I seem to eat them the other way round, well on my MTB anyway, my
commuter has never had anything replaced yet!

How dangerous are rabbits? zzapper UK 49 July 23rd 07 01:50 PM
Dangerous cycling? Mike Sales UK 11 October 10th 06 11:14 AM
What's more dangerous? Bill C Racing 18 April 7th 06 11:54 PM
What is most most dangerous? Tumbleweed UK 20 December 15th 04 03:03 PM
Are h*1**ts dangerous .paul UK 39 April 14th 04 10:44 AM