Spring is in the air!

Old January 5th 04, 10:45 PM
Nick Kew

Default Spring is in the air!

Just thought I had to share this ...

Went out for a meal with a friend in Saltash last night.
The only way there that isn't a long and seriously hilly ride is
through Plymouth and across the Tamar bridge.

The homeward ride through Plymouth - about 1 a.m. - was fantastic.
It's a long sustained uphill that's always a bit of a slog, but
this time it was a beautiful night and I had the roads more-or-less
completely to myself. Must go out more often on Sunday nights.

Best of all: going through the northern suburbs, I heard no fewer
than three suburban nightingales singing their heads off!

Spring - or what?

--
Hutton: Nobody is asking why Blair was so keen to have a damaging
inquiry into a minor side-issue of going to war.

So, what has he successfully deflected media attention from?
Old January 6th 04, 09:45 AM
Jon Schneider

In article ,
(Nick Kew) wrote:

Spring - or what?

Light pollution more like.

Jon

Old January 6th 04, 11:52 AM
Clive George

read the title and thought we were back on discussing dismantling STI
shifters again..

cheers,
clive

Old January 7th 04, 07:00 PM
RJ Webb

Best of all: going through the northern suburbs, I heard no fewer
than three suburban nightingales singing their heads off!

We have had this on another group.. Probably robins... or
blackbirds....

A lot of birds start up as soon as an increase of daylength is
detectable,, Soon after Christmas the great tits start, so the woods
are now full of squeeks and whistles... Blackbirds and Song thrushes
are noticeable now

Richard Webb
Old January 8th 04, 09:32 AM
W K

"RJ Webb" wrote in message

Best of all: going through the northern suburbs, I heard no fewer
than three suburban nightingales singing their heads off!

We have had this on another group.. Probably robins... or
blackbirds....

Yes, unless Nick is a keen birdwatcher(/listener), I'd suggest robin.
I've heard very few nightingales ever.

Old January 8th 04, 09:17 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Nick Kew wrote:

Just thought I had to share this ...

Went out for a meal with a friend in Saltash last night.
The only way there that isn't a long and seriously hilly ride is
through Plymouth and across the Tamar bridge.

The homeward ride through Plymouth - about 1 a.m. - was fantastic.
It's a long sustained uphill that's always a bit of a slog, but
this time it was a beautiful night and I had the roads more-or-less
completely to myself. Must go out more often on Sunday nights.

Best of all: going through the northern suburbs, I heard no fewer
than three suburban nightingales singing their heads off!

I used to live in Whitleigh and went to visit a friend in Efford some
nights. Coming back down to the A38 interchange there's a place where
you can do a really huge jump on the cycle path, because the path drops
away from you. Riding up and down the Promenade on Sunday morning
trying to pull wheelies was quite cool too.

Old January 9th 04, 09:45 PM
Sue

In message , W K
writes

"RJ Webb" wrote in message

Best of all: going through the northern suburbs, I heard no fewer
than three suburban nightingales singing their heads off!

We have had this on another group.. Probably robins... or
blackbirds....

Yes, unless Nick is a keen birdwatcher(/listener), I'd suggest robin.
I've heard very few nightingales ever.

Blackbirds most likely. They're excellent singers with pleasant sounds
and lots of variety, and loud - if it's worth stopping to listen, it's
probably a blackbird. They do the street-light thing, but they also
keep singing after dark in the breeding season.

Nightingales are migratory, at this time of year they aren't even in
Britain, and they're strictly seasonal singers. Robins aren't loud
enough to resound through the suburbs, and I don't think they sing at
night much.
--
Sue ];(
Old January 10th 04, 04:56 AM
Graeme

Sue wrote in news:baSPtKMdDy$$Ew+8
@mashtub.demon.co.uk:
Blackbirds most likely. They're excellent singers with pleasant sounds
and lots of variety, and loud - if it's worth stopping to listen, it's
probably a blackbird.

Talking of twittering birds, does anyone know of anywhere I can download
British bird songs. The sound of a blackbird singing is one of the most
relaxing sounds I know. Most of my google searches end up with sites to buy
recodrings from.

Cheers,

Graeme
Old January 10th 04, 08:31 AM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Graeme wrote:

Blackbirds most likely.

That's possible. I guess my prejudices say I should hear blackbirds during
the day if they're active. But then again, our ecosystem up here on
Dartmoor may be too devastated by over-grazing, and Plymouth by day is
too noisy to hear them.

Talking of twittering birds, does anyone know of anywhere I can download
British bird songs. The sound of a blackbird singing is one of the most
relaxing sounds I know.

Have you tried sleeping to the sound of an upland stream?

Old January 10th 04, 07:08 PM
Tim Hall

:
Blackbirds most likely. They're excellent singers with pleasant sounds
and lots of variety, and loud - if it's worth stopping to listen, it's
probably a blackbird.

Talking of twittering birds, does anyone know of anywhere I can download
British bird songs. The sound of a blackbird singing is one of the most
relaxing sounds I know. Most of my google searches end up with sites to buy
recodrings from.

I believe the RSPB website has some samples. Not sure how long they
are though.

Tim
--
Blue Witch laughed at me