Paris Roubaix to be shown live on SBS

Old April 9th 07, 07:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_62_]

Default Paris Roubaix to be shown live on SBS

DaveB Wrote:
Lama was that you on Koonung Trail today?

Yup, 'twas me. I was out for a nice easy spin on the SS in the
sunshine. I managed a quick nod as I was ducking and weaving around
the slower random moving objects on the path

--
gplama

Old April 11th 07, 04:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dgarry[_3_]

Has anyone here got a satellite dish that can pick up Eurosport.. I was
thinking of getting one put on the house so that I could watch some of
the bike races in Europe and maybe the F1 live...

rdk Wrote:
yeah, there are often problems with these major sporting events that
just pop up unexpectedly, not giving broadcasters time to get
orgasnised. The other problem is organisers that turn down money when a
broadcaster from a "dark territory" rings up and says "can we show your
event?". They just don't know what to do.

--
dgarry

Old April 11th 07, 04:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Apr 10, 8:56 pm, rdk
wrote:
Wrote:

After contacting SBS it seems they were unable to secure the rights to
this years P-R in time. yeah, there are often problems with these major sporting events that

just pop up unexpectedly, not giving broadcasters time to get
orgasnised. The other problem is organisers that turn down money when a
broadcaster from a "dark territory" rings up and says "can we show your
event?". They just don't know what to do.

--
rdk

How is this unexpected? The race was being run 50 years before TV was
invented...

Old April 11th 07, 10:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rdk[_13_]

PiledHigher Wrote:

rdk Wrote:

yeah, there are often problems with these major sporting events
that
just pop up unexpectedly,
How is this unexpected? The race was being run 50 years before TV was

invented...= sarcasm directed towrds SBS

--
rdk

Old April 11th 07, 11:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dewatf

On 10 Apr 2007 20:18:29 -0700, PiledHigher wrote:

How is this unexpected? The race was being run 50 years before TV was
invented...

It doesn't make much sense. It sounds like SBS sport managed to get a bit
more of budget with the increase in ad revenue and decide to try and buy
the rights to the PR.

It's ridiculous that anybody would turn down money for a cycling event.
Once coverage exists it is a trival matter to put it on a satellite or
cable these days. Deals for major sporting events have been decided in a
matter of hours when there is enough money involved.

Personally I don't care much for the PR. I don't really get the idea of
trying to ride a mountain bike course on a road bike just to see who can
avoid falling over and breaking their collar bone by chance (or the
manufacturing quality of their . Macadam was invented invented around 1820
and a tar coating added to eliminate dust during the 20th Century -- some
day the French will catch up.

dewatf.
Old April 11th 07, 12:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_113_]

dewatf Wrote:

Personally I don't care much for the PR. I don't really get the idea
of
trying to ride a mountain bike course on a road bike just to see who
can
avoid falling over and breaking their collar bone by chance (or the
manufacturing quality of their . Macadam was invented invented around
1820
and a tar coating added to eliminate dust during the 20th Century --
some
day the French will catch up.

Eh? Mountain bike? Paris Roubaix is simply riding on the original road
surface, so in any case, should the Belgians also catch up and replace
their pave? Anyway, cyclo-cross can't possibly be confused with MTB, as
the entire redevelopment of clunkers for MTB came decades later.
Cyclo-cross or riding on unsealed surfaces on road bikes was also a
method for cyclists to retain fitness levels & skills in the off
season. Bit similar to developing footy to keep cricket players fit in
winter.

--
cfsmtb

Paris-Roubaix Stu Fleming Racing 2 April 7th 06 08:57 AM
Paris-Roubaix map? Bob Martin Racing 5 March 31st 06 12:50 AM
Paris Roubaix Simon Brooke UK 5 April 19th 05 03:53 PM
paris roubaix Rick Roof Racing 8 January 15th 05 04:56 AM
paris roubaix curt Racing 0 March 12th 04 05:13 PM