A few months waxing chain

Old December 15th 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default A few months waxing chain

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 10:29:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 3:15:14 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:

And, one might add, you are not buying cheap Chinese wheels :-)

cheers,

John B.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...99&FORM =VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&FO RM=VDRVRV

But if there's anyone that knows more about carbon wheels than you you certainly couldn't think of them.

Why do you provide videos that complement cheap Chinese wheels. As
proof of what? YOU were the ones to post about all the problems with
cheap Chinese wheels and now post videos where guys say the Chinese
wheels are all right....

It rather makes you look like a fool that didn't know what he was
talking about. Doesn't it.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 15th 18, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 4:55:08 AM UTC-8, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

A couple of months have passed since I switched to wax for chain
lubrication. I would estimate I rode about 3,000 kilometers with my
chain (cleaning it and lubricating it four times, I think), a point at
which I usually start measuring at least some elongation.

In this case, I cannot measure any. 10 links span 254 mm ± .3 mm, so
that is less than 1 ‰ of elongation. My chain is a good as new. As an
additional bonus, my entire drivetrain has never been that clean!

Unfortunately, when I switched to chain waxing, I also changed from
Shimano chains to a KMC 9.73 one, so I cannot assert that waxing
is good for chain wear, only that either it is, or KMC chains are very
resistant, or both.

Anyway, now I think I will soon be at the point where I will have to
replace my cassette that is starting to be a bit worn, without changing
the chain that is still as good as new!

--
Tanguy

Get your bell peppers at the farmers markets, and you pay half or less the price, and the farmer makes twice or more profit. Or Milk Pail in Mountain View, Sigona's in Redwood City, lots of places all over if you look that support the local farmers instead of big box supermarkets gouging both the farmers and the customers.
Old December 15th 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 3:15:35 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
[...]

And you are the SOB that purposely takes my comments out of context so that you can pretend superiority. I said several times that the clinchers are superior to the Campy aluminum wheels but the tubeless rims had really bad delamination problems.

But if you can in any manner act superior to someone we can all trust you will. It's just a good thing that you are safely out of reach because I doubt you would say anything like that if there would be personal repercussions.
Old December 15th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:33:57 AM UTC-8, Oculus Lights wrote:
[...]

Are you suggesting that it is more economically sound to make a 50 or 60 mile round trip to pay less for vegetables? The Farmers Markets here charge perhaps 20 percent less than the supermarkets and the vegetable appear to be what the supermarkets turned down.
Old December 16th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Superiority? I don't think so, or at least I can't remember ever
stating that I am a superior sort of fellow. What I've been saying is
that you whine and bitch and tell long and elaborate stories that you
can seem to justify if anyone questions you. Instead you very quickly
change the subject instead of justifying your statements.

But if you can in any manner act superior to someone we can all trust you will. It's just a good thing that you are safely out of reach because I doubt you would say anything like that if there would be personal repercussions.

I see. I can only assume that you are making a personal threat like
your mention of Thai assassins, about which you quite obviously know
nothing at all.

But safely out of reach? Of a brain damaged old man like your good
self"? Ridiculous!

(I assume that in your next post will entertain us with a tale of
ought fighting Cassius Clay or some other champion )

cheers,

John B.

Old December 16th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:26:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

But, a 50 mile round trip is just a Sunday ride on a bicycle. At least
it is to a real cyclist.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 16th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

[...]

There's an exception to every rule. I take a 10 minute bike ride to the farmers market downtown, or four miles to the Milk Pail, with the MTB and both panniers. Or a few other places that aren't named Safeway or Whole Foods. The farmer's keep their best and freshest to sell for higher profit on their own.
Old December 16th 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:13:14 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:26:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Are you suggesting that it is more economically sound to make a
50 or 60 mile round trip to pay less for vegetables? The Farmers
Markets here charge perhaps 20 percent less than the supermarkets

In the People's Republic of Santa Cruz (California), farmers markets
are quite popular:
http://www.santacruzfarmersmarket.org

and the vegetable appear to be what the supermarkets turned down.

Somewhat true. When certain veggies are in season, they are quite
fresh at both the super market and the farmers market. However, small
farmers usually don't have refrigerated warehouses
http://www.centralcoldstorage.com/central-cold-storage.html
making the quality of the veggies at the end of the season rather
marginal. It helps to know the harvest seasons:
"California Harvest Calendar U-Pick Farms"
http://www.pickyourown.org/CAharvestcalendar.htm
http://www.santacruzfarmersmarket.org/seasonality

Same here in the DPR Portland. I can walk to a farmers market from my house or my office. This is the one downtown:
http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/ And the smaller operation near my house: http://www.hillsdalefarmersmarket.com/
It's a lot of root crops this time of year and products with long shelf-lives like honey. I don't think anyone is selling bell peppers, but I haven't checked. The price at the local supermarket is not oppressive. $.50. https://www.fredmeyer.com/p/bell-pep.../0000000004065 Undoubtedly illegal alien bell peppers from some hot-house in Juarez.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 16th 18, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Spelling checkers lead to false confidence :-) It should have read
"out fighting".

cheers,

John B.