Hand signals

Old August 19th 03, 02:31 PM
Arpit

Default Hand signals

I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?
Old August 19th 03, 04:34 PM
Lindsay Rowlands

Arpit wrote:
: I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
: myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
: my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

I hesitate to be facetious, but it would be far easier to ride more
to develop confidence and skill in a safe situation such as an
empty car park, than it would be to fit blinkers. Remember, the
only thing stopping you from making a hand signal is 90% fear
and 10% skill.

Try this: walk beside your bike while pushing it, hold on to the
rear of the seat, let go of the handlebars. Notice how the bike
has an inherent stability while moving.

Hope this helps, cheerz,
Lynzz

Old August 19th 03, 10:31 PM
Jack Russell

You can buy them in the UK, triggered by pressing the thumb and one finger.

Old August 19th 03, 10:50 PM
Megan Webb

Notice what the motor vehicle drivers do and forget about using
signals. Signals are 'nice' but not essential or necessary and in same
cases down right dangerous.

What is essential is to improve your balance, so that if you want to
be 'nice' you can signal. Balance needs practice. So find a safe open
space and start practicing. Try riding very slowly - as slow as you
can. Try riding one handed again as slow as you can. I found that
about 15 minutes at a time was enough - after that you get too tired.

Megan

Old August 20th 03, 12:25 AM
hippy

"Megan Webb" wrote in message
om...
What is essential is to improve your balance, so that if you want to
be 'nice' you can signal. Balance needs practice. So find a safe open
space and start practicing. Try riding very slowly - as slow as you
can. Try riding one handed again as slow as you can. I found that
about 15 minutes at a time was enough - after that you get too tired.

I'll just add that, riding on grass might help remove some of the fear
of falling off. It is also a little trickier to balance on uneven grass
so
may speed up your one-armed skills.
hippy

Old August 20th 03, 02:59 AM
Dave@fnq

"Andre S." wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:31:18 GMT, Arpit

wrote:

I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

I'm not sure if they'd be legal, and motorists aren't in the habit of

looking for them.

AndreS.au === I ride therefore I am

Have to agree with this, I think most drivers wont beware of the indicators.
Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your bike
compared to narrow bars.

Dave