Dahon Boardwalk 6, 20" folder works in Canberra - followup

Old March 18th 04, 11:44 PM
Tom Worthington

Default Dahon Boardwalk 6, 20" folder works in Canberra - followup

I wrote 3 May 2003 http://groups.google.com.au/groups?threadm=cf94a0b1.0305031653.3fe83456%40post ing.google.com:

My doctor prescribed a bicycle ... ended up with a Dahon "Boardwalk

6",
6 speed 20" folding bicycle, which has proved far more useful
than expected. ...

Rode it in Pedal Power's Big Canberra Bike Ride 2004 on Monday
http://www.pedalpower.org.au/events/bcbr/intro.htm. One of the other
riders said "you must be Tom, I read your review in Aus.Bicycle". So I
thought it was time for an update:

No where in Canberra seemed to stock Dahons ... went to ... Sydney

Bike Culture at O'Connor now has Dahons in stock. This is closer than
Sydney (thirty steps from my front door).

Apart from the low price I liked that the bike came with almost
everything needed (including a luggage rack and mudguards). ...

One of the riders of a much more expensive folding bike in the Big
Ride was enviously eyeing the stand, which came standard with my bike.

... haven't had any problems ... folding mechanism has small springs
and plastic clamps, but these have not broken so far.

The plastic bits still haven't broken, but one small spring holding
the main latch came off. The latch rattled when the bike was folded,
but was not a safety risk. I used a bent paper clip to pull the spring
back in place and secured it with a little glue. Also one bolt fell
out of the luggage rack, which I must get around to replacing. The
hinge for the handlebars is starting to wobble a bit. There doesn't
seem any adjustment on it so if it gets worse I guess I will have to
take it to the shop to fix.

Apart from that the only maintenance I have done is to adjust the
brake cables and oil the chain.

The bicycle folds small enough to fit in a subcompact ... car boot

When folded the bicycle seems heavier than when open and is a
struggle to carry more than a few paces. ...

It still seems heavier folded than open, but I have developed muscles
to carry it. To secure it outdoors I can fold it around a pole and
pass a lock through both wheels and the frame. Try doing that with an
non folder!

Perhaps the novelty of riding will wear off as Canberra's cold
winter approaches. ...

Rode all through winter, wearing my ski jacket, gloves and, when
needed, a baklava and waterproof ski pants.

There isn't really anything I could want added or changed on the
bike (apart perhaps from removing the "Designed in the USA" sticker).

The only addition needed is a bell. And yes, the "Designed in the USA"
sticker is still an embarrassment.

It occurred to me that if I got a smaller 16" folder and a bigger

travel
bag I could take it by air on my high technology tourist trips ...

The 20" is fine for air travel. See my Brisbane trip report:
http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/bb/brisbane.html.

It happens I did buy a 16" model on impulse in Beijing:
http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/bws/.

My next big trip will be from Cambridge, England to Germany by train

mid year. Will I take the bicycle?

I would recommend ... to the non-enthusiast city cyclist. ...

After a year I still recommend the Dahon Boardwalk 6. If buying again
I would be tempted by a smaller 16" model with 3 gears (but it is only
a few cm smaller than the 20" model when folded). The 20" with six
gears and an aluminum frame is also tempting. But these cost 50% more
than the Boardwalk 6.

ps: Thank you again to all those who have posted reviews of bicycles
and
bicycle accessories to the Internet. I found these very useful.

Tom Worthington FACS
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Old March 19th 04, 03:18 AM
marc_9

Tom,
Been one of those people who have been following your mails. Found
your review/insight into your Dahon was a great encouragment to get
one myself. Made up my mind in Dec 2003, and am still waiting.
Got so sick of the wait, I contacted my cousin in the US. Told me
they'd get it for me and send it over. Seeing the prices are much more
competitive than in Sydney, decided to buy a more upmarket Dahon.
Unfortunately most 2004 models wont be available till late March or
early
April. Yet more waiting.
Read about your jaunt in Beijing. Cant imagine buying a Dahon at 25%
of the Aussie price. You're really lucky.
marc
Old March 20th 04, 10:03 AM
T.J. & L.K. Dunster

"Tom Worthington" wrote in message
om...
I wrote 3 May 2003

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?t...3.3fe83456%40p
osting.google.com:

My doctor prescribed a bicycle ... ended up with a Dahon "Boardwalk

6",
6 speed 20" folding bicycle, which has proved far more useful
than expected. ...

Looks a lot like a Raleigh 20 to me.

Old March 20th 04, 12:53 PM
kingsley

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:44:54 -0800, Tom Worthington wrote:

... haven't had any problems ... folding mechanism has small springs
and plastic clamps, but these have not broken so far.

The plastic bits still haven't broken, but one small spring holding
the main latch came off. The latch rattled when the bike was folded,
but was not a safety risk. I used a bent paper clip to pull the spring
back in place and secured it with a little glue. Also one bolt fell
out of the luggage rack, which I must get around to replacing. The
hinge for the handlebars is starting to wobble a bit. There doesn't
seem any adjustment on it so if it gets worse I guess I will have to
take it to the shop to fix.

Apart from that the only maintenance I have done is to adjust the
brake cables and oil the chain.

I find I always end up catching the cable housing if I'm
not careful when I un/fold it. I've had a bit replaced once,
and already have a non-serious kink in the new bit. I must
admit I'm usually pretty rushed and careless.

Folding mechanism is all good.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,