If you don't believe in Evolution, then why do you drive an SUV?

Old January 9th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

Default If you don't believe in Evolution, then why do you drive an SUV?

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Amy Blankenship wrote:

I had sea monkeys when I was a kid...

Penicillin clear things up?

You only need that if you feed them too much. Clouds the water.

Old January 10th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
nafuk wrote:
On 7 Jan, 22:56, "Jack May" wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

Jack May wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
I think I read that during the Carboniferous period that
the earth was as hot as it has ever been.
ISTR that one of the reasons was due to large amounts of
water vapor in the air (volcanoes? geothermal activity?).
Can't remember what the source of it was. Maybe just
evaporation from oceans.
At any rate, the air can be very heavily saturated with
water without it raining, or without rain clearing up
the humidity. Check out many of the tropical locations
of the world where heavy rains don't lessen humidity.

http://www.wxdude.com/humidity.html

Air can only hold 100% relative humidity. For rain the 100% relative
humidity is at the altitude where the rain is coming from, not the
ground where the humidity gage is normally. It takes some time for
the 100% humidity "mist" to form into drops which fall as rain.
There are cases where there can be super cooled water being more
than 100%, but that is rare.

So for all practical purposes vapor is not going to do much to
increase global warming because it will precipitate out as rain when
it reaches 100% humidity at some place in the atmosphere. Since we
get rain now, the air is often saturated at some place with the
maximum moisture it can hold.

There are three gases emitted by aircraft which contribute to global
warming: H2O, CO2 and NOx The most obvious is the water vapour which
forms condensation trails - clouds of frozen ice crystals. Since the
air in the upper troposphere (the level at which most commerical
planes fly) is naturally very dry, water vapour emitted by aircraft
can make a big difference. Sometimes the contrails cover the whole
sky. Have you ever wondered, why the sky is so much clearer in remoter
locations?

Although these contrails reflect a little sunlight away from earth,
they reflect back to earth much more invisible infra-red (heat)
radiation which would otherwise escape to space - and therefore they
have an overall warming effect. This is hard to measure accurately,
because the contrails eventually spread out and become
indistinguishable from natural cirrus clouds.

Not all of the water vapour forms contrails, but water is itself a
"greenhouse gas" which also traps this outgoing infra-red radiation.
Each water molecule traps much more heat and also survives much longer
at this height than it would do at sea-level.

Jet-fuel - kerosene - is a mixture of substances produced by
distilling crude oil, which can be represented by C13H28. The chemical
equation for burning it is as follows:
2C13H28 + 40O2 =26CO2 + 28H2O

So you can see, that for every 14 water molecules produced, the
aircraft must also emit 13 of CO2. This is also a greenhouse gas and
will stay in the atmosphere warming the earth for an average of 100
years, some of it for 1000s of years. There's no way that you can get
the energy from such fossil fuel without producing that much CO2. It's
not a by-product that can be "scrubbed" from the exhaust.

So...Al Gore should quit riding around in his 1970s-era Gulfstream? Don't
hold your breath! (You'll just emit a greenhouse gas, anyway!)

Bill "this **** would be really, really funny if it wasn't taken so really,
really seriously by so really, really many" S.

I hope I am around long enough to laugh at the collapse of civilization.
Foolish humans need to be taught a harsh lesson to learn anything.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 10th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

donquijote1954 who? wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:05 pm, Peacemaker wrote:
god put the oil in the earth for us to use.
God put the animal bones there to test our faith.
Unless god says there is global warming, there isn't.

That pretty much sums up the basic belief of many Christians.

It doesn't make sense. But, hey, God didn't give us the brain to
think.

I wonder though why God gave us a brain.

But, at least at the end, God apologizes to creation for the inconvenience.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 10th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Bill Sornson wrote:

Jack May wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

really seriously by so really, really many" S.

I hope I am around long enough to laugh at the collapse of civilization.
Foolish humans need to be taught a harsh lesson to learn anything.

People learn the most by solving the problems that confront them. That is
exactly what we will be doing by developing alternative energy sources that
solve the greenhouse problem.

Almost nothing is learned by fantasizing punishment for people that don't
agree with you.

Old January 10th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

donquijote1954 who? wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:05 pm, Peacemaker wrote:
god put the oil in the earth for us to use.
God put the animal bones there to test our faith.
Unless god says there is global warming, there isn't.

That pretty much sums up the basic belief of many Christians.

It doesn't make sense. But, hey, God didn't give us the brain to
think.

I wonder though why God gave us a brain.

But, at least at the end, God apologizes to creation for the
inconvenience.

Sounds like you don't understand evolution but believe in some undefined
creationism.

Our ability to be highly creative in our development of new capabilities
came from a genetic mutation about 55 thousand years ago.

That gene was propagated by evolution. It greatly increased the survivable
rate of people that had that genetic mutation.

Old January 10th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Sornson wrote:

Jack May wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

really seriously by so really, really many" S.
I hope I am around long enough to laugh at the collapse of civilization.
Foolish humans need to be taught a harsh lesson to learn anything.

People learn the most by solving the problems that confront them. That is
exactly what we will be doing by developing alternative energy sources that
solve the greenhouse problem.

Almost nothing is learned by fantasizing punishment for people that don't
agree with you.

Here we have Exhibit A of human arrogance. To believe that technology
will solve gross irresponsibility is foolish.

People learn from harsh consequence of their mistakes. If there are no
consequences, they learn nothing.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Old January 10th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

donquijote1954 who? wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:05 pm, Peacemaker wrote:
god put the oil in the earth for us to use.
God put the animal bones there to test our faith.
Unless god says there is global warming, there isn't.
That pretty much sums up the basic belief of many Christians.

It doesn't make sense. But, hey, God didn't give us the brain to
think.

I wonder though why God gave us a brain.

But, at least at the end, God apologizes to creation for the
inconvenience.

Sounds like you don't understand evolution but believe in some undefined
creationism.

Our ability to be highly creative in our development of new capabilities
came from a genetic mutation about 55 thousand years ago.

That gene was propagated by evolution. It greatly increased the survivable
rate of people that had that genetic mutation.

WHooooooooooooooSH!

DON'T PANIC!

And remember to bring your towel.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Old January 10th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

news

Bill Sornson wrote:

Jack May wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

really seriously by so really, really many" S.

I hope I am around long enough to laugh at the collapse of civilization.
Foolish humans need to be taught a harsh lesson to learn anything.

People learn the most by solving the problems that confront them. That is
exactly what we will be doing by developing alternative energy sources
that solve the greenhouse problem.

They sure as hell don't seem to learn anything by preventing problems!

Old January 10th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

Bill Sornson wrote:
nafuk wrote:
On 7 Jan, 22:56, "Jack May" wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

Here we have Exhibit A of human arrogance. To believe that technology will
solve gross irresponsibility is foolish.

It is a fact of life. If there is a problem that people need to have
solved, there will be people more than willing to solve that problem to make
a lot of money.

People learn from harsh consequence of their mistakes. If there are no
consequences, they learn nothing.

Puritans are rather rare these days. Technology is a very large part of our
economy.

Sort of proves that punishment has not been very effective in society, but
making a lot of money with technology has been highly attractive and
effective.

Old January 11th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
nafuk wrote:
On 7 Jan, 22:56, "Jack May" wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

Here we have Exhibit A of human arrogance. To believe that technology will
solve gross irresponsibility is foolish.

It is a fact of life. If there is a problem that people need to have
solved, there will be people more than willing to solve that problem to make
a lot of money.

More arrogance in believe that there will always be a technological
solution to the problem. Foolish human will learn otherwise during this
century.

People learn from harsh consequence of their mistakes. If there are no
consequences, they learn nothing.

Puritans are rather rare these days. Technology is a very large part of our
economy.

Sort of proves that punishment has not been very effective in society, but
making a lot of money with technology has been highly attractive and
effective.

Pride goes before the fall.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth