"Carbon" tires

Old January 26th 04, 11:00 AM
Kjell Arne Olsen

Default "Carbon" tires

Owen Pope wrote:

I have heard a lot of talk about this, but I haven't seen much
in the way of evidence. I've heard about a test by a german
bike magazine that supposedly revealed the superiority of carbon
rubber, but I;ve never seen it.
Some searching turned up this:
http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-ar...s/breitreifen_
0703.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/36fam

I can't read german, but a little work with Google translator
doesn't seem to show that superiority. (though I don't know
exactly what 'dual' or 'single' compounds are.)

The test in "Tour" deals with 700x25 tires, advantages/disadvantages
over 700x23 and 700x20 tires. Not a single word about carbon black,
I'm afraid.

Kjell Arne

--
http://www.brumunddal-sk.idrett.no/
Remove your clothes if you want to answer by e-mail!
Old January 27th 04, 04:03 AM
bfd

"Kjell Arne Olsen" wrote in
message ...
Owen Pope wrote:

I have heard a lot of talk about this, but I haven't seen much
in the way of evidence. I've heard about a test by a german
bike magazine that supposedly revealed the superiority of carbon
rubber, but I;ve never seen it.
Some searching turned up this:
http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-ar...s/breitreifen_
0703.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/36fam

The test in "Tour" deals with 700x25 tires, advantages/disadvantages
over 700x23 and 700x20 tires. Not a single word about carbon black,
I'm afraid.

Can you summarize the article and tell us what the advantages/disadvantages
of using 700x25 tires over 700x23/20. Thanks!

Old January 27th 04, 04:51 AM
Owen Pope

Kjell Arne Olsen
wrote in
:

Owen Pope wrote:

I have heard a lot of talk about this, but I haven't seen
much in the way of evidence. I've heard about a test by a
german bike magazine that supposedly revealed the
superiority of carbon rubber, but I;ve never seen it.
Some searching turned up this:
http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-ar...s/breitreifen_
0703.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/36fam

I can't read german, but a little work with Google
translator doesn't seem to show that superiority. (though
I don't know exactly what 'dual' or 'single' compounds
are.)

The test in "Tour" deals with 700x25 tires,
advantages/disadvantages over 700x23 and 700x20 tires. Not
a single word about carbon black, I'm afraid.

Oh well. Thanks, though.

-Owen

Old January 27th 04, 05:41 AM
Matt O'Toole

Default Anyone read German, was "Carbon" tires

bfd wrote:

"Kjell Arne Olsen"
wrote in message ...
Owen Pope wrote:

I have heard a lot of talk about this, but I haven't seen much
in the way of evidence. I've heard about a test by a german
bike magazine that supposedly revealed the superiority of carbon
rubber, but I;ve never seen it.
Some searching turned up this:
http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-ar...s/breitreifen_
0703.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/36fam

The test in "Tour" deals with 700x25 tires, advantages/disadvantages
over 700x23 and 700x20 tires. Not a single word about carbon black,
I'm afraid.

Can you summarize the article and tell us what the
advantages/disadvantages of using 700x25 tires over 700x23/20. Thanks!

Maybe some of our German literate friends could lend a hand...

Matt O.

Old January 27th 04, 06:15 AM
Peter

Matt O'Toole wrote:

bfd wrote:

"Kjell Arne Olsen"
wrote in message ...

Owen Pope wrote:

I have heard a lot of talk about this, but I haven't seen much
in the way of evidence. I've heard about a test by a german
bike magazine that supposedly revealed the superiority of carbon
rubber, but I;ve never seen it.
Some searching turned up this:
http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-ar...s/breitreifen_
0703.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/36fam

The test in "Tour" deals with 700x25 tires, advantages/disadvantages
over 700x23 and 700x20 tires. Not a single word about carbon black,
I'm afraid.

Can you summarize the article and tell us what the
advantages/disadvantages of using 700x25 tires over 700x23/20. Thanks!

Maybe some of our German literate friends could lend a hand...

Nothing too surprising:
Advantages:
lower rolling resistance at same pressure
greater comfort (esp. if pressure is lowered)
less likelihood of pinch flats (therefore allows lowering of pressure)

Disadvantages:
greater weight
greater wind resistance (they question whether this is as significant for
road use as on a track)
don't fit in some frames
harder to remove wheel with some brakes

Nice to see them list which tires can be mounted without tools
("werkzeuglos") vs. those needing tire levers ("Reifenhebern")

Old January 28th 04, 12:04 AM
Kjell Arne Olsen

Peter wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

Maybe some of our German literate friends could lend a hand...

Nothing too surprising:
Advantages:
lower rolling resistance at same pressure
greater comfort (esp. if pressure is lowered)
less likelihood of pinch flats (therefore allows lowering of pressure)

Disadvantages:
greater weight
greater wind resistance (they question whether this is as significant for
road use as on a track)
don't fit in some frames
harder to remove wheel with some brakes

Nice to see them list which tires can be mounted without tools
("werkzeuglos") vs. those needing tire levers ("Reifenhebern")

It's a long time since I had German lessons in school, so I struggle a
bit with the language, but I've just subscribed to "Tour". Excellent
round-up, but I might also add that the article mentions a test done
in Germany that couldn't find significant aerodynamic differences
between 25 and 23 mm tires.

Also note that the star rating of the tires (1-5) is for puncture
resistance.

Kjell Arne

Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 05:40 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant Techniques 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM