ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!

Old August 5th 09, 09:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!

“But he was doing what he loved to do.” That makes it okay? "This is
the third death on a bike in the area in less than a month."

Mike

http://www.telluridenews.com/article...9554804810.txt

ON THE MOUNTAIN
Mountain biker dies of heart attack

Dr. Alexis Shelokov, 55, had home in Telluride

By REILLY CAPPS
Writer

Published: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:19 AM CDT
A doctor who worked to set crooked spines straight died of an apparent
heart attack while riding his mountain bike on Prospect Trail Monday
afternoon.

Alexis Shelokov, 55, lived in Plano, Texas, most of the year, but had
a house in Bachman Village. He was an orthopedic surgeon and the
medical director of the Baylor Scoliosis Center in Plano.

Shelokov leaves behind his wife, Georgiana, who is a radiologist, and
two children: a boy aged 13 and a girl aged 11, reported San Miguel
County coroner Bob Dempsey.

Shelokov had already been to Telluride three times this summer, said
his friend Ed Roufa, mostly to mountain bike, which he loved.

“It was a horrible accident,” said Roufa, “but he was doing what he
loved to do.”

Ed Roufa was with Shelokov when he died. They had ridden the Prospect
Trail almost to the bottom, and Shelokov was ecstatic.

“I can’t tell you the exclamations we were using as we were doing the
downhill,” Roufa said. Then Shelokov suffered his attack.

EMTs arrived within minutes, Roufa said, but were unable to revive
Shelokov.

Valley Lawn Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.

This is the third death on a bike in the area in less than a month. A
visitor from Washington state died after a solo crash on Telluride
Trail July 12, and local “Captain” Jack Carey died July 17 while road
biking on Lizard Head Pass.

Shelokov grew up in Glenwood Springs, Roufa said, an avid skier and
ice climber. He got his medical degree from the University of Texas
Health Sciences Center in 1982. He had owned a home in Telluride for
at least 12 years, Roufa said.

Shelokov straightened out the spines of adults and children with
scoliosis, the malady of a crooked, S-shaped spinal column, and he
received some raves from former patients on scoliosis.org and
vitals.com, where doctors are rated.

“I love him,” wrote one woman.

Wrote another patient: “I have never met anyone so attentive, caring,
compassionate and very professional and honest at the same time.”

In an interview on Ivanhoe.com, Shelokov talked about how patients
with scoliosis would confide to him that they felt different, they
felt deformed.

“There are times that I describe my practice as one of being a
psychiatrist with a knife,” Shelokov said. “It’s an odd way to put it,
but any time you’re doing a procedure that changes the way a person
looks physically and the way they feel physically, you can’t do that
effectively without dealing with the patient emotionally, dealing with
them as a person rather than just a collection of bones.”

He said he was working to correct the misperception that there’s
nothing to be done for adults with scoliosis. He told them: “You can
be made straight.” A man who loved to ride his bike, Shelokov even
helped a woman get on one. An online story from Baylor tells about a
woman whose scoliosis got progressively worse as she grew older. Then,
at age 31, she met with Shelokov, who told her there was help. After
surgeons at Baylor fused five vertebrae in her lower back, she went
out and bought a mountain bike. “And now that I’ve tried it,” she
said, “I’ve fallen in love with the sport.”

It seems fitting that Shelokov would find a way to help other people
get into the sport he loved.

“He was the essence of Telluride,” Roufa said. “A great friend and a
great rider.”

E-mail: . Phone: 728-9788 ext. 11.
Old August 5th 09, 10:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

On Aug 5, 1:58 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
“But he was doing what he loved to do.” That makes it okay? "This is
the third death on a bike in the area in less than a month."

Hey! Good job not crossposting! Tom