Glass

Old January 20th 08, 12:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Glass

On 2008-01-20, Resound (aka Bruce)

"TimC" wrote in message
True. Although the second last time I did it, I screwed it up
royally. Well, the tap was stuffed anyway, so I couldn't break it
anymore. I reckon the next time I need to replace a washer, I'll
break the tap to the building. That thing is even more screwed than
the rest of the taps in the building. The best part of the water to
this building, is I had hot water for my entire shower, just turning
the cold tap on, for the entire duration sometime last week. This is
12 hours after the pipes last were exposed to the heat of the day.
I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do.

Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time.

Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

Incidentally, given that
the plumber's van is already made, his using it doesn't require more steel
to be produced.

Yeahbut if enough people employ him, there'll be a need for another
plumber and their van.

But construction isn't the only time when water and energy are used.

--
TimC
"If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise,
Old January 20th 08, 12:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

On 2008-01-20, Resound wrote

Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time.

Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost you
$10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but I have a
very good mate who's a plumber. :-)

Theo

Old January 20th 08, 09:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

zog wrote:

unfortunately it is not going to mean a thing to the ****head yobbos
driving along with their equally useless mates who think tossing a
bottle out of a moving car is great sport in watching it smash on the road.

Well I suppose you just need to make the deposit at least as much as the
price of a packet of durries then and they'll think twice.

I went to a New Years Eve concert outside the Sydney Opera House once.
It was a debarcle. Idiots in the back started raining empty tallies down
on people in the crowd. My Dad went to a similar concert a couple of
years ago. He said there was a deposit of $5 per bottle imposed.
Funnilly enough there were plenty of people willing to take rubbish off
the hands of patrons.
Old January 21st 08, 12:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Jan 20, 7:01 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:46:26 +1100

zog wrote:

unfortunately it is not going to mean a thing to the ****head yobbos
driving along with their equally useless mates who think tossing a
bottle out of a moving car is great sport in watching it smash on the road.

I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
droppings than those of other cities.

Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.

Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

Zebee

As an ex-Adelaidian, that's quite right, SA is much cleaner than
Victoria, seen the moment you cross the border. Kids and pensioners
make short work of bottles and cans left around the place. We used to
do quite well cruising around the SACA after a Shield game or Test
match, picking bottles from under the seats. Mind you I think there
might be a bit more of a "tidy ethos" in SA too - no evidence for that
observation other than a bit of SA-(i.e. anti-Vic)-parochialism. It
used to be a good lurk for the less honest kids, to knock off the
bottles from the back of a shop, and take them around the front for
the "refund".

It will be near impossible to get this legislation brought in. Think
of the power of the booze companies, only just short of the power of
car companies. Back in the old days, beer and softdrinks were brewed
and consumed locally and weren't moved around the country like they
are now. The beer companies hate SA deposits and the extra costs for
packaging and logistics. They won't let it happen, and they do their
darndest to kill off the existing SA legislation, claiming it is
restraint of trade rather than SA just not wanting to be as grotty as
other states.

Oh, there was one time of the year when the bogan droppings got like
other states - when the frikkin Groan Prix was on. All the traffic
disruptions, combined with all the moron wannabe Ayrton Sennas, lots
of crashes and lots of headlight glass everywhere. Dumbest thing
Victoria ever did, pinching the GP off SA.

Donga
Old January 21st 08, 01:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Jan 20, 9:45 pm, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
droppings than those of other cities.

Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.

Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

I remember being followed around the park by a kid waiting for me to finish
my coke in Adelaide. Mind you, 5c was a lot more then.

Theo

Mostly in Adelaide it's the old men following the kids around the
park, offering them 5c

Donga
Old January 21st 08, 03:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
20cents

In article ,

On 2008-01-20, Resound wrote

Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time.

Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost you
$10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but I have a
very good mate who's a plumber. :-)

Theo

Plumbers encourage people to have a go at reseating the tap. Do it wrong
(most likely outcome) and they get to replace the tap instead of just
the washer. The cutters end up corrugating the seat because they
'chatter'. You would be better off using valve paste for reseating
exhaust valves in combustion engines.

It is far cheaper to buy, by cycling to the hardware shop (obligatory
bike reference) and replace the entire tap than to call out a plumber.

20cents
Old January 21st 08, 04:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

20cents wrote:
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:
TimC wrote:

Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost
you $10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but
I have a very good mate who's a plumber. :-)

Plumbers encourage people to have a go at reseating the tap. Do it
wrong (most likely outcome) and they get to replace the tap instead
of just the washer. The cutters end up corrugating the seat because
they 'chatter'. You would be better off using valve paste for
reseating exhaust valves in combustion engines.

It is far cheaper to buy, by cycling to the hardware shop (obligatory
bike reference) and replace the entire tap than to call out a plumber.

shrug You pick your level of competence/expertise, or pay a plumber.
Replacing the entire tap is cheap and easy if it is an outside 'garden'
style tap. The one in your bathroom sink might be a diffferent
proposition/cost. If it is the one in your shower, replacement is a very
expensive option indeed, requiring at least two tradesmen, and finding
matching tiles.

Theo
My two bob's worth.

Old January 30th 08, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Adrian[_3_]

zog writes:

Peter wrote:
There's some discussion regarding introducing container deposits in
NSW in an article on the smh website.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dhofc

Having found myself stranded with glass in the tyre and a tube of
dried up glue on Thursday, I think it's a great idea to get as many
bottles as possible back to the manufacturers rather than on the
roads.

Might be worth contacting that baldy headed bloke who used to be in a
rock band to let him know it woud be good for cyclists.

unfortunately it is not going to mean a thing to the ****head yobbos
driving along with their equally useless mates who think tossing a
bottle out of a moving car is great sport in watching it smash on the
road.

No, it won't mean much to those yobbos, but it will mean something to a
hell of a lot of kids or other people who see a relatively easy source
of extra income. I see bottles ditched at the side of the paths and
roads -- they've been dumped by the local ****-head teenagers drinking
in the park[1] -- that sit there for a week or two, then get smashed by
some young einstein as entertainment. Deposit legislation will
hopefully mean that between dumpage and smashage there is collectage.

Yes I know, if I was truly civic-minded I'd stop and pick them all
up... sometimes I do, but there's limits to how many kgs of crap I want
to take home for other people.

Adrain

[1] now if only they could introduce syringe deposit legislation at the
same time, maybe I wouldn't see quite so many of them dumped on the
roads and paths.

Shard of glass Tom Crispin UK 4 January 14th 08 08:33 PM
Removing glass from tyre Membrane UK 8 May 5th 07 01:23 PM
Broken glass : KoperniK UK 11 October 29th 06 09:30 PM
glass trino General 16 July 26th 06 06:59 PM
Safety Glass on the road Samuel Russell Australia 1 February 8th 05 09:10 PM