Day Trips from Cape Cod?

Old June 26th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Day Trips from Cape Cod?

My wife and I will be in Cape Cod for a week in July. I'm just wondering if
anybody has advice about ferry-hopping to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Block
Island, etc. to ride the rail trails. Any restrictions on the boats? Any
best times to float? Vegetarian-friendly places to eat? etc.....

Old June 26th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:59:15 -0400, "NY Rides"
wrote:

My wife and I will be in Cape Cod for a week in July. I'm just wondering if
anybody has advice about ferry-hopping to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Block
Island, etc. to ride the rail trails. Any restrictions on the boats? Any
best times to float? Vegetarian-friendly places to eat? etc.....

Took the ferry from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard a couple of years
ago. Round trip is $19 (bike included). We took the ferry to Oak
Bluffs, rode around the island, and departed from Vineyard Haven.
Can't help you with the vegetarian menu, but we had a nice lunch on a
deck overlooking the water in Edgartown.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old June 27th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"NY Rides" wrote in
:

My wife and I will be in Cape Cod for a week in July. I'm just
wondering if anybody has advice about ferry-hopping to the Vineyard,
Nantucket, Block Island, etc. to ride the rail trails. Any
restrictions on the boats? Any best times to float?
Vegetarian-friendly places to eat? etc.....

FYI The Trail is probably still closed for repaving.

Block Island is kind far away. You might get bored with
riding a circle on Nantucket. I would recommend looking
at the NBW club's page and think about riding along the southeastern
coast too.

--
---
William O'Hara
Old June 27th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

FYI The Trail is probably still closed for repaving.

Which trail are you referring to?????

I would recommend looking at the NBW club's page and think about riding
along the southeastern coast too.

What does "NBW" stand for?

"William O'Hara" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"NY Rides" wrote in
:

Old June 27th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

NY Rides wrote:
My wife and I will be in Cape Cod for a week in July. I'm just wondering if
anybody has advice about ferry-hopping to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Block
Island, etc. to ride the rail trails. Any restrictions on the boats? Any
best times to float? Vegetarian-friendly places to eat? etc.....

We took a daytrip to the Vineyard earlier this year. You can take your
bike - at extra cost, of course - on the ferry. The ferry ride is less
than an hour from Wood's Hole.

At the end of the pier on Martha's Vineyard is an information booth
where you can get a map of the island showing bike paths and other roads.

We rode out to Chillmark then took Middle Road towards Gay Head, headed
to Oak Bluffs along South Road then along the shore back to Vineyard Haven.

We have been to the Vineyard several times so we didn't really linger
anywhere (except Oak Bluffs). There are plenty of restaurants and
delis. The one at Chillmark is pretty good. I believe they have
vegetarian food but I'm not certain.

The Vineyard is well worth a couple day trip.

Nantucket is also nice but it is smaller and less wooded than the
Vineyard. The Nantucket ferry is a two hour ride from Hyannis.

There is a Cape Cod Rail Trail that is undergoing repaving and widening
(both of which are needed). The trail tends to get pretty busy but does
get you to Wellfleet. From there you can ride up to Truro Harbor on
some prtty back backs or even Provincetown. Provincetown is quite the
place and well worth the trip.

There are four hostels on the Cape and Islands: Eastham and Truro on the
Cape, and ones on both nantucket and the Vineyard. I've stayed in all
of them and thank they are a dany way to travel. The hostel on Nantucket
is near Surfside Beach on the south side of the island. There is a
hostel near the Vineyard airport. It's pretty nice and is a good place
to stay overnight. That way you can really explore the island - take
the on-time ferry to Chappaquiddick, wander around the Tabernacle and
camps in Oak Bluffs.

Well, this is a lot longer than I intended. Here's hoping that you have
a good trip to the Cape and are able to get in some fun rides.

Tom
Old June 29th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

In article ,
says...
FYI The Trail is probably still closed for repaving.

Which trail are you referring to?????

I would recommend looking at the NBW club's page and think about riding
along the southeastern coast too.

What does "NBW" stand for?

Narragansett Bay Wheelmen, the main club in Rhode Island and nearby
sections of Massachusetts. Website is
www.nbwclub.org. The Boston area
has their own set of cycling clubs as well.

newsgroups if possible).