Roof Racks

Old August 30th 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Roof Racks

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 1:49:10 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 6:41:23 PM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
I'm using a Thule roof rack with fork mounts. I've never had a
problem with stability or safety. Before that, I had a Saris roof
rack for several years, likewise with no problems.
I prefer the roof racks that clamp the fork dropouts because I
believe they hold the bike more securely than racks that hold the
bike upright with the front wheel on. Also, I think that
configuration presents a slightly lower profile to the wind. I
use a "bra" on my bike to protect it from rain; it also looks
pretty slick!

My experience is also that the fork mount seems to be more
secure. I'm just curious about the continuous strain of wind nd
road buffeting. And I try not to use roof racks anymore since they
DO really screw up your gas mileage.

Jobst talked about bearing damage from bikes in fork mount racks.

"The damage occurs when these small motions occur when there are no
steering motions to replenish lubricant while the bearing balls fret in
place. Fretting breaks down the lubricant film on which the balls
normally roll and without which they weld to the races and tear out tiny
particles."

The fork mount racks seem more secure because the bike doesn't move
around as much as on a rack where the bike sits on both wheels. Nut it's
still just as secure.

What about a roof rack that holds to bike upside down and where the
bike is secured by the handlebar and the saddle?

Like a cockroach in a Raid commercial?
Old August 30th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

Cheers

Have any of those been made since the Ford Administration?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 31st 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 4:15:02 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/30/2018 11:48 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped

What about a roof rack that holds to bike upside down and where the bike is secured by the handlebar and the saddle?

Cheers

Have any of those been made since the Ford Administration?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's what I was wondering. That is if anyone was still making such a rack.

Cheers
Old August 31st 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

Haven't seen those in years. Back in the days of structural steel rain
gutters I built one of those.
Old August 31st 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 8/29/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

I contacted Yakima about a rack for my Ford Taurus. Only 14 years old and they don't make a rack to fit it.
Old August 31st 18, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:13:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone had any damage to bikes simply from using a rood rack? A friend of mine had his C40 Colnago have its head tube simply break off. To me it looks like a manufacturing error but I wonder if it was caused because for 15 years he was carrying the bike on a roof rack. I can't imagine the bumps and centrifugal force and wind sheers not having some sort of effect.

By the way - since carbon fiber bikes are (or at least were) sensitive to UV light what would you think about long term driving with your bike on a roof rack?

I'm trying to figure out how a couple of bikes I saw fail did so for no apparent reason and after almost 10 years. While other CF bikes that were notorious for failures (those early Trek fully molded) are still running strong after 15 years.
Old September 1st 18, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 2:04:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I contacted Yakima about a rack for my Ford Taurus. Only 14 years old and they don't make a rack to fit it.

When we bought our 2014 Mazda, I was able to modify an old roof rack to fit.
The key step was learning where the car's hard attachment points were. I peeled
up the two longitudinal plastic trim strips that run down the sides of the roof.
There were two 6mm female threaded holes on each side. I drilled holes in the
feet of the old rack and screwed it down. I wonder if you can do something
similar.

I actually take it off the car each time we're done with it, because I have
to do lots of freeway driving these days. It goes on and off easily.

- Frank Krygowski

Roof Mounted Racks ? Bob[_19_] General 3 September 7th 15 09:33 PM
Saris roof racks [email protected] Techniques 3 June 29th 06 03:08 PM
bike roof racks DJ Australia 6 January 22nd 05 06:17 AM
Roof Racks? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 3 December 5th 04 07:53 AM
Roof racks adownhiller Mountain Biking 11 November 9th 03 08:13 AM