Bolts

Old April 30th 07, 05:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson

Default Bolts

Scott Gordo wrote:
On Apr 29, 7:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:
On Apr 28, 11:31 am, "Graham FM" wrote:
Folks,
i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey
wheel bolts for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux
head. You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32
backlash. $3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

I'll take two!

For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
and (I'm assuming) correct information. I don't know if a 15,000 word
LSD-driven Neo-Nazi diatribe was snipped from the bolt info, but even
if it was, bravo!

I think he forgot to mention the need for a left-handed screw driver to
install 'em.

:-D

Old April 30th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Apr 30, 9:57 am, wrote:
JD had it right ...

I've torn apart enough RDs to know a little about them. Sometimes
they just 'splode.

BTW, is the OP in the CONUS? I'm sure I have a few in my bolts bin.

JD

Old April 30th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Apr 30, 12:57 pm, wrote:
On Apr 30, 9:06 am, Scott Gordo wrote:

On Apr 29, 7:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:
On Apr 28, 11:31 am, "Graham FM" wrote:
Folks,
i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey
wheel bolts for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux head.
You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32 backlash.
$3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

I'll take two!

For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
and (I'm assuming) correct information.

Fish on!

It's all made up crap.

The bolt is a form of M5 (5mm by .8 thread). JD had it right ... it is
a specific type of M5. The bolt is 16mm long with only 4mm of thread.
The other 12mm is a smooth section where the bushing rides. Assuming
that the RD is 10 years old, then it is an 8sp M-739 ... the bolt head
is stepped to fit into the outer cage and uses a 3mm allen to
tighten.

For the OP, your best bet is to salvage. I doubt that Shimano has
those parts available.

You might try Part # Y-53M 24000 or Y-56954900. The first is a pulley
bolt from an M-760 XT (2004)... but it was the same part for the M-750
(1999). The second is from a 2004 tourney, but the head looks similar
to the M-739.

Look at the backside of the parallelogram, the model number will be
stamped there.

snip

R- Hide quoted text -

Shoulda known!

/s

ps: Pom-pom grips removed from DHC's bike, put on R's.

Pinch Bolts maximus unius Unicycling 8 October 29th 06 05:49 PM
Loose bolts Tim Morin Unicycling 5 May 28th 06 10:41 AM
Pinch bolts Dukester Techniques 10 May 31st 05 03:23 PM
Titanium hex bolts. Ne> Mountain Biking 19 January 3rd 05 05:05 PM
Ti bolts JJ Recumbent Biking 2 December 22nd 04 04:29 PM