Trails OPEN!

Old May 4th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CB

Default Trails OPEN!

Mountain Bikers Retain Trail Access in Southern California Forests
Mountain Bikers Retain Trail Access in Southern California Forests

For Immediate Release
04-30-07
Contact: Mark Eller, Communications Director

303-545-9011

The most extensive formal appeal in IMBA's 19-year history has
culminated in an agreement that will maintain widespread bicycle
access in four National Forest units in Southern California. With
hundreds of trail miles at stake in the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres
and San Bernardino forests, bike advocates embarked on a lengthy
appeals process to a Forest Service decision to close dozens of trails
to bikes.

The decision was the culmination of five years of mountain biker
participation in the Forest Service planning process. "Even when the
documents and alternatives didn't favor us, the Forest Service staff
welcomed our participation and encouraged us to keep working toward a
solution," says IMBA Rep Jim Hasenauer, who began working on the issue
in 2001 when the four forests first announced a joint planning process
for trail management.

According to IMBA California Policy Advisor Tom Ward, strong
partnerships with state and federal agencies hold the key to bike
access throughout the state. "IMBA's approach to mountain bike
advocacy is to build strong relationships with land managers
throughout California. We promote quality riding opportunities and
work hard to create fun, environmentally sustainable trails that all
users can enjoy," says Ward.
IMBA Filed Extensive Appeal

In 2004, after three years of preliminary work, the four Southern
California forest units jointly released alternative plans for forest
and trail management. IMBA's action alert generated hundreds of
messages and letters urging that trails be kept open to bikes.
"Although there was much that we liked in the original plan, we had
concerns about some of the proposed Wilderness areas, the treatment of
bicycles in 'critical biological zones,' and the ambiguity of language
regarding bicycle use only on formally designated 'system' trails,"
says Hasenauer.

In 2005, the forests issued a revised plan that addressed most of
IMBA's initial concerns. New Wilderness additions would have little
effect on mountain bike opportunities, bikes would be allowed on
trails in the "critical biological zones" unless specifically
prohibited, and the Forests promised to deal with the "unofficial"
trails issue with public participation, over time.

In Oct. of 2006, the San Bernardino National Forest indicated its
intention to close all "non-system trails" to bicycles. "We felt that
was inconsistent with the 2005 plan," says Hasenauer. The Forest
disagreed, but met with local bicyclists to inventory and keep some of
those trails open. The local mountain biking community stepped up to
help the Forest identify important trails for mountain bikes and the
Forest agreed to delay the closure.

At the same time, Hasenauer worked with fellow IMBA Rep Daniel
Greenstadt, IMBA's Gary Sprung (then Senior Policy Adviser, now an
independent contractor) and Washington-based policy advisor Kirk
Bailey to develop an official appeal. "The appeal was the most
extensive public participation document that IMBA has ever developed,"
says Hasenauer. "Most appeals are quickly disqualified, but ours went
forward."
Meetings Lead to Withdrawal of Appeal

In Nov. 2006, Hasenauer met with the Southern California Forest
Supervisors and staff. "We agreed that the three other forests had a
more reasonable approach and we're in fact, a more reasonable
interpretation of the new plans," says Hasenauer. "We agreed that
there would need to be a process and a Forest Order before trails were
closed. Bicyclists could continue to ride such trails unless
specifically prohibited. They also indicated that generally if non-
classified trails were to be closed, they should be closed to all
users." That understanding resulted in the December 2006 withdrawal of
IMBA's appeal.

"This is a great example of how steadfast advocacy inside public
participation processes can save trails. IMBA is quite satisfied with
the resolution and we look forward to working with the Forest Service
on trail management issues again," says IMBA Government Affairs
Director Jenn Dice.

Old May 4th 07, 06:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Ha ha ha!

Suck that, Vandersh!t!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old May 4th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

CB wrote:
[...]

That's nice but what about the 100s of miles of trails we lost to bogus
Wilderness designations in the 90s?

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old May 4th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CB

That's nice but what about the 100s of miles of trails we lost to bogus
Wilderness designations in the 90s?

Greg

Yeah Greg.....

That must be on the agenda somewhere, then maybe you and I will be
riding Johnson Ridge grin

CB

Old May 4th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On May 4, 12:25 pm, CB wrote:
That's nice but what about the 100s of miles of trails we lost to bogus
Wilderness designations in the 90s?

Greg

Yeah Greg.....

That must be on the agenda somewhere, then maybe you and I will be
riding Johnson Ridge grin

CB

I'll never ride Johnson, but have ridden Pinos. Not that
there'sanything wrong with that...

JD

Old May 5th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On 4 May 2007 09:39:29 -0700, CB wrote:

[...]

Professor of Rhetoric (the art of LYING).

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 5th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

Good point.

Greg

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 5th 07, 04:46 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

JD wrote:
On May 4, 12:25 pm, CB wrote:
That's nice but what about the 100s of miles of trails we lost to bogus
Wilderness designations in the 90s?
Greg

Yeah Greg.....

That must be on the agenda somewhere, then maybe you and I will be
riding Johnson Ridge grin

CB

I'll never ride Johnson, but have ridden Pinos. Not that
there'sanything wrong with that...

Now I get the johnson/pinos reference.

Greg

Trails [email protected] UK 0 September 28th 06 08:14 PM
Mavic Open Pro vs Open Spoke catzz66 Techniques 9 June 20th 06 03:25 PM
Trails John Harlow Mountain Biking 8 March 8th 05 10:34 PM
Trails Stephen Tye UK 0 March 8th 05 08:42 AM
trails at Santas Village, and other Ontario trails Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 0 August 12th 04 12:59 AM