Tire size for least rolling resistance?

Old April 5th 04, 08:49 PM
Chris Hansen

Default Tire size for least rolling resistance?

Hello,

I've seen it mentioned that sometimes a wider tire can have less
rolling resistance than the skinny tires that racers use so I was
wondering what tire size would offer the least rolling resistance?

Thanks.
Old April 5th 04, 09:07 PM
Tom Kunich

"Chris Hansen" wrote in message
om...

I've seen it mentioned that sometimes a wider tire can have less
rolling resistance than the skinny tires that racers use so I was
wondering what tire size would offer the least rolling resistance?

It's strongly dependent on pressure. A 25 mm tire at 100 psi can have a lot
lower rolling resistance than a 20 mm tire at the same pressure but the 20
beats the 25 at 150 psi.

That's why 23's and 25's are now the most popular sizes. For the sorts of
pressures that people normally run they are the best compromise.

Old April 5th 04, 10:12 PM
Raymo853

Take a look at this:
http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?mod...produktgruppe=

link.net...

Old April 5th 04, 10:30 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 5 Apr 2004 12:49:52 -0700, (Chris Hansen)
wrote in message :

what tire size would offer the least rolling resistance?

36" as fitted to the Coker, I should imagine.

--
Guy
===

Old April 6th 04, 02:23 AM
Marty Wallace

"Raymo853" wrote in message

Take a look at this:

http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?mod...produktgruppe=

I came across this site before and I suspect that Schwalbe recommend running
wider tyres because their tubulars aren't rated at the high pressures of
some of the other brands.

Marty

link.net...

Old April 9th 04, 02:32 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:07:21 GMT, "Tom Kunich"
wrote:
It's strongly dependent on pressure. A 25 mm tire at 100 psi can have a lot
lower rolling resistance than a 20 mm tire at the same pressure but the 20
beats the 25 at 150 psi.

Huh? Why, at 150 psi, would a 20 beat a 25? If they're both the same
150 psi...the 25 ought to be better. Right?

If you're saying that the 25 is likely to be limited to 100psi and
the 20 is good for 150 psi, and that the result is less RR from the
20, then that's probably right.

Narrower tires are more aero, too...though the 5mm is probably too
tiny an aero penalty to worry about for general riding.
--
Rick Onanian
Old April 10th 04, 02:03 AM
frkrygow

Raymo853 wrote:

Take a look at this:
http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?mod...produktgruppe=

OTOH, take a look at this:

http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/rolres.html

Seems to me the general trend is that narrower tires do slightly better.

But: I don't know what the road surface looked like for those tests.
ISTR that the smoother the road, the better narrow tires do, but that
for rougher roads, wider tires offer less rolling resistance. And
incidentally, by "rougher" I don't necessarily mean potholes. If I
remember right, just a rough texture is enough to harm the rolling
resistance of narrower tires.

This is probably a good question for rec.bicycles.tech

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]