Five pedestrians injured by yet another pavement motorist.

Old September 6th 11, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_12_]

Default Five pedestrians injured by yet another pavement motorist.

No pavement cyclist could ever have caused this much carnage and it
illustrates the sheer danger of cars on pavements.

"Five pedestrians have been injured by a car which hit hoardings around a
building site in Shrewsbury.

Police believe the elderly driver of the Rover car lost control while
reversing down Claremont Hill at about 14:00 BST.

The driver of the car, believed to be a man in his 80s, was among those
taken to hospital.

Also injured were two teenagers and a seven-year-old boy who was treated for
shock and bruising.

Police and ambulance crews attended the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "On arrival crews found
a car which had gone through hoardings and into a building site opposite
Bellstone..."

More with pic:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-14796008

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.
Old September 6th 11, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 06/09/2011 06:38, Doug wrote:
No pavement cyclist could ever have caused this much carnage and it
illustrates the sheer danger of cars on pavements.

But how common is this Dougwit? Where are the figures?

University
Old September 6th 11, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

He did not deliberately drive on the pavement.
Contrast that with the case of the two youths riding on the pavement quite
deliberately that crashed into a boy in a wheelchair breaking his leg.

Old September 6th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Sep 6, 6:38*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

But there are very few cars that make all or a good part of their trip
on the pavement, unlike cyclists that I see every day.
Old September 6th 11, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Sep 6, 4:49*pm, francis wrote:

But there are very few cars that make all or a good part of their trip
on the pavement, unlike cyclists that I see every day.- Hide quoted text -

I just read this letter and thought of this thread.

"I’ve seen vehicles parked fully on the pavement. I’ve seen vehicles
being driven by what I always thought were sensible people.They drive
down our road, indicate to pull into the side of the road and then aim
the vehicle at the footpath.

Then they park it as though there is only them on the estate. No-one
can now walk past these vehicles let alone take a child’s pushchair
past. I’ve seen young women with pushchairs have to go on the road
because they can’t pass these vehicles.

When are the authorities going to do some thing about these mindless
morons and law-breaking idiots?

Name and address supplied.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/l...ents_1_3744948

--
Simon Mason
Old September 6th 11, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_4_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 4:49 pm, francis wrote:

But there are very few cars that make all or a good part of their trip
on the pavement, unlike cyclists that I see every day.- Hide quoted
text -

I just read this letter and thought of this thread.

"I’ve seen vehicles parked fully on the pavement. I’ve seen vehicles
being driven by what I always thought were sensible people.They drive
down our road, indicate to pull into the side of the road and then aim
the vehicle at the footpath.

Then they park it as though there is only them on the estate. No-one
can now walk past these vehicles let alone take a child’s pushchair
past. I’ve seen young women with pushchairs have to go on the road
because they can’t pass these vehicles.

When are the authorities going to do some thing about these mindless
morons and law-breaking idiots?

We get problems near where I live with parents parking virtually anywhere
that will support the weight of their cars in order to drop off their kids
as close to the school as possible. This is despite the fact that the
village has a large car park a whole 3 minutes walking distance away from
the school. As well as parking on the road, they think it's acceptable to
park, fully blocking pavements and turfing up grass verges. Some of them
even park on a small area of green which is meant for local residents to
enjoy, not to act as an overflow car park. In one case recently, an
argument broke out after a parent parked in a resident's driveway blocking
in their own car. Needless to say, the parent wasn't regretful or
apologetic when confronted by the angry resident. In another case, a parent
parked completely blocking an access road to residents and left the vehicle
for several minutes while taking the kids to the school.

Grrr!

Old September 6th 11, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Sep 6, 5:25*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

We get problems near where I live with parents parking virtually anywhere
that will support the weight of their cars in order to drop off their kids
as close to the school as possible. *This is despite the fact that the
village has a large car park a whole 3 minutes walking distance away from
the school. *

Have a heart - it *is* a whole 3 minutes walk away.

--
Simon Mason
Old September 6th 11, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 06/09/2011 06:38, Doug wrote:
[...]

Do you think this could illustrate the reason why, sometimes, certain very
old people (up around, or near to, say, the 80 mark) are not allowed to drive?
Old September 6th 11, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_6_]

On Sep 6, 5:25 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

We get problems near where I live with parents parking virtually anywhere
that will support the weight of their cars in order to drop off their kids
as close to the school as possible. This is despite the fact that the
village has a large car park a whole 3 minutes walking distance away from
the school.

Have a heart - it *is* a whole 3 minutes walk away.
====================================

I walked it myself in less than 2 minutes, I allowed an extra minute because
young children can't walk as fast as I can.

After seeing the stupid places parents park, I can now understand why half
of them drive oversized "off-road" vehicles. They can't resist the
opportunity to drive off-road.

Old September 7th 11, 06:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_12_]

On 6-Sep-2011, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

On 06/09/2011 06:38, Doug wrote:
No pavement cyclist could ever have caused this much carnage and it
illustrates the sheer danger of cars on pavements.

But how common is this Dougwit? Where are the figures?

It is simply a question of momentum resulting in a given impact force,
Davewit. Work it out for yourself.

-- .