Ping for rides in Newport, Rhode Island

Old February 28th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

Default Ping for rides in Newport, Rhode Island

Anybody out there from the Newport area? I'm slated to be in your nabe
this weekend. Any ride suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

Old March 1st 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
D T W .../\\...

http://www.nemba.org/

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

ups.com...

Old March 1st 07, 03:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 28, 7:46 pm, "D T W .../\\..." wrote:
http://www.nemba.org/

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message

ups.com...

Anybody out there from the Newport area? I'm slated to be in your nabe
this weekend. Any ride suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! Looks like I'm headed to Arcadia.

Second question: has anybody here ridden Arcadia before?

/s

Old March 4th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On Feb 28, 4:37 pm, "Scott Gordo" wrote:
Anybody out there from the Newport area? I'm slated to be in your nabe
this weekend. Any ride suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

Arcadia is the closest and less then 30 highway miles to the south is
Bluff Point in Groton CT.

Old March 4th 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Steve Baker[_2_]

Scott Gordo wrote:

Thanks! Looks like I'm headed to Arcadia.

Second question: has anybody here ridden Arcadia before?

/s

Scott - Damn! I wish I'd seen your post earlier. Yes, I live near
Newport (Jamestown, in the middle of the Bay) and Yes, I have ridden
Arcadia before.
Hope you had a good one. RI is not the best place for MTBing, but it
has enough to us yokels happy.
Steve "Boat-Boy" Baker
Old March 5th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 28, 4:37 pm, "Scott Gordo" wrote:
Anybody out there from the Newport area? I'm slated to be in your nabe
this weekend. Any ride suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

It was raining at the end of the week so I brought the new GRS bling.
I wound up at Ten Speed Spokes (http://www.tenspeedspokes.com), a nice
shop just over the bridge from Goat Island. It's in a barely renovated
old train station. Nice kid working there, showed me a map of 30ish
mile loop along Ocean Ave, Belleview, and some of the local beaches
that was...and I cringe of the idea that I'll be using this
word...breathtaking! Absolutely beautiful. Belleview's real estate was
comically colossal. It was like riding by 200 different variations of
the Museum of Natural History.

The roads by the water were pretty shot, and I spent a little more
time on unshouldered major roads than I would have liked, but
definitely a nice touring-style ride.

I'm going to be back in town for a wedding in early June with the MTB
(weather permitting) and maybe the tandem (if my GF is able to get
some time away from her bridesmaid duties). I'll keep y'all posted.

/s

Old March 9th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Steve Baker[_2_]

Scott Gordo wrote:
snip

I'm going to be back in town for a wedding in early June with the MTB
(weather permitting) and maybe the tandem (if my GF is able to get
some time away from her bridesmaid duties). I'll keep y'all posted.

/s

Scott,
If you went past the wierd-looking memorial thing at Brenton Point, then
you were looking at the island you SHOULD have been riding around. The
Tour de Jamestown is about 20 miles, and our roads are in just as bad
shape as Newports. Plus, we have less tourists.
Steve
Old March 12th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Mar 9, 6:23 pm, Steve Baker wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

snip

I'm going to be back in town for a wedding in early June with the MTB
(weather permitting) and maybe the tandem (if my GF is able to get
some time away from her bridesmaid duties). I'll keep y'all posted.

/s

Scott,
If you went past the wierd-looking memorial thing at Brenton Point, then
you were looking at the island you SHOULD have been riding around. The
Tour de Jamestown is about 20 miles, and our roads are in just as bad
shape as Newports. Plus, we have less tourists.
Steve

Is the wierd-looking memorial a white cross, I think it's a memorial
for Portuguese explorers or fishermen? There's a stone building behind
it?

If so, yeah, saw it, photographed it. The shore there was
gobsmackingly beautiful, as picturesque as I've seen the East Coast.
The washed out roads beat my rear rim into the brake pads.

/s