Bianchi or Telekom for Ullrich?

Old August 4th 03, 07:52 PM
Heinz Getzler

Default Bianchi or Telekom for Ullrich?

Bianchi or Telekom for Ullrich?
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=...g03/aug04news2)
"Next year, things will have to improve in Bianchi for Ullrich to
stay. According to Ullrich's manager Wolfgang Strohband, "We'll gladly
go further with Bianchi, but if that's the case, the financial plan
must be clear for next season. Besides that, the team has to be
strengthened"

I wonder if this simply posturing from Ullrich's manager. Ullrich is
simply saying since I am back on top I deserve to paid like I am?? On
the otherhand there has been no word on what Ullrich's salary is. As
for Bianchi it's questionable whether they are willing to commit the
resources to compete with Telekom or US Postal. Bianchi is owned by
Cycle Europe and they are under a lot of financial pressure. But on
the otherhand having Ullrich gives them a lot of publicity.

As for Telekom I doubt Ullrich go back unless there is management
changes or Bianchi falls through.
Old August 4th 03, 08:32 PM
Lindsay

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:39:37 +0200, "trg"
wrote:

If I remember correctly, Bianchi picked up the Team coast riders 6 weeks
before the tour at fire sale prices (They paid 40% of what the riders were
getting at Coast). That late in the season, most riders couldn't find a team
so they took the steep pay cut (Beltran an exception).

40% of $0 is still $0, USD or EURO. They were paid 40% of what Coast
had promised to pay them.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free
will and individual responsibility is the difficulty
of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And
when you do find somebody, it's remarkable how often
his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke
Old August 4th 03, 08:39 PM
trg

If I remember correctly, Bianchi picked up the Team coast riders 6 weeks
before the tour at fire sale prices (They paid 40% of what the riders were
getting at Coast). That late in the season, most riders couldn't find a team
so they took the steep pay cut (Beltran an exception). Now the riders have a
year to find a team. Of course with Once and Banesto and possible Jean
Delatour going away (if they can't find a second sponsor), it's a buyers
market.

"Heinz Getzler" a écrit dans le message de
om...
[...]

---

Old August 4th 03, 10:17 PM
trg

"B. Lafferty" a écrit dans le message de
nk.net...
Perhaps Bianchi will join T-Mobile as a secodary or co-sponsor. Vino

won't
be happy.

I'm not sure about that. Vino's got to realize that as long as Armstrong and
Ullrich are on opposing teams, his shot at yellow in the TdF is slim to
none. Vino and Ullrich are good friends. And the PR for Telecom to get
German popstar Ullrich back on the team is not negligible. Vino could make
the "Heras" deal, ie I'll ride for you in the Tdf if you ride for me in X.
Ullrich and Vino could even make a non aggression pact like Lemond and
Hinault, ie I'll ride for you in the TdF this year and you ride for me next
year. (and we'll alternate each year after . Armstrong had enough trouble
this year without having really to worry a lot about Vino (using Ullrick to
chase him down). Imagine the problems that would create efor him if the two
were on the same team.

I think the real problem would be Zabel. The successful teams are focused on
the GC, they can't be expending energy trying to win the maillot vert or
keeping an escape close for the sprinter and leadout man to be there at the
sprint.

It could be a formidable team with Ullrich supported by Savodelli, Vino,
Guerini, Evans, Aldag, Botero (if he gets back the TT and climbing form of
last year). If Armstrong has some of the same problems against a team like
that next year as he had this year, I wouldn't put money on him...

Man would that be a battle!

---

Old August 4th 03, 10:41 PM
Jeff Jones

"trg" wrote in message

I think the real problem would be Zabel. The successful teams are focused

on
the GC, they can't be expending energy trying to win the maillot vert or
keeping an escape close for the sprinter and leadout man to be there at

the
sprint.

I think Zabel realises his days as green jersey king are pretty much
history. But his main goal is to win a stage, and that could cost Telekom a
bit of effort if they chose to support him. He's pretty much on his own
these days in Tour stages, and can rely on the fact that Lotto and Fassa
will chase down the breaks early on.

It could be a formidable team with Ullrich supported by Savodelli, Vino,
Guerini, Evans, Aldag, Botero (if he gets back the TT and climbing form of
last year). If Armstrong has some of the same problems against a team like
that next year as he had this year, I wouldn't put money on him...

It would be formidable if they got all those riders to the Tour in one
piece! And if they did, it would be formidable if they used their strength
wisely rather than falling into the Brer Rabbit trap like they did a few
years ago. But Vino is a handy rider to have - he is dangerous enough and
strong enough to worry Armstrong.

Maybe Telekom should sign Beloki and Mayo.

Jeff

Old August 5th 03, 02:33 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote in message
.be...

It would be formidable if they got all those riders to the Tour in one
piece! And if they did, it would be formidable if they used their strength
wisely rather than falling into the Brer Rabbit trap like they did a few
years ago. But Vino is a handy rider to have - he is dangerous enough and
strong enough to worry Armstrong.

Maybe Telekom should sign Beloki and Mayo.

I don't think Telekom can outbid all the other teams for
Beloki/Mayo/Ullrich/Botero, etc.

If George Steinbrenner were running Telekom, I'd change that opinion, but
come on, do they have enough $$$ to do that?

If I were the sponsor and wanted to put a prime emphasis on winning the
Tour, I'd hire Ullrich and hope that Armstrong's vulnerability this year was
a sign of age and not an abberration.

Old August 5th 03, 10:21 AM
Donald Munro

Doug wrote:
Yeah, those years when Telekom was trying to win both jerseys were
amazing. The team was stretched to the breaking point. But I think
Telekom is ready to jettison Zabel. He's simply no longer a serious
jersey threat.

Jettisoning the number 3 rider in
the world (and number 8 for 2003) seems a bit extreme, after all
there is more to cycling than the TDF.
Old August 5th 03, 10:37 AM
Van Hoorebeeck Bart

And Zabel would still be a jersey contender (oh wait he wasn't that far
down this year) with a slightly different parcours. With a
middle-mountains stage or two, he might have better chances -like in
Hamilton's stage- to fight back against the fastest guys..

One who doesn't seem a jersey contender anymore was O'Grady, finishing a
bit too far down in every sprint finish.

Old August 5th 03, 06:33 PM
Heinz Getzler

"Rene Clancy" wrote in message ...
"Heinz Getzler" wrote:

Bianchi or Telekom for Ullrich?

Looks like as if Bianchi is in trouble.

http://www.welt.de/data/2003/08/05/147621.html

(in german)

It seems fairly logical that Bianchi needs a larger co-sponsor. It
will be interesting to see just how marketable Team Bianchi is.
Bianchi is still a fairly strong team however. Even with the loss of
Beltran Bianch still put in a remarkable performance.
Old August 5th 03, 06:47 PM
Nick Burns

"Doug" wrote in message
I think the real problem would be Zabel. The successful teams are focused

on
the GC, they can't be expending energy trying to win the maillot vert or
keeping an escape close for the sprinter and leadout man to be there at

the
sprint.

Yeah, those years when Telekom was trying to win both jerseys were
amazing. The team was stretched to the breaking point. But I think
Telekom is ready to jettison Zabel. He's simply no longer a serious
jersey threat.

I hope you are wrong.

1) Zabel is currently ranked third. He is the most consistent rider out
there and only a lack of outright wins has him at third rather than higher.

2) Zabel is what is known in other sports as a "franchise" player. The
Telekom team has a strong national identity and Erik is still the most
successful German other than Ullrich (and by many measures better than Jan).
Telekom gets a lot of mileage out the their again warrior. He may even
retire from Telekom, but not yet.

It could be a formidable team with Ullrich supported by Savodelli, Vino,
Guerini, Evans, Aldag, Botero (if he gets back the TT and climbing form

of
last year). If Armstrong has some of the same problems against a team

like
that next year as he had this year, I wouldn't put money on him...

Man would that be a battle!

Indeed. Telekom would be scary good.

Doug