Ouch! @#$%^ birds

Old August 29th 07, 11:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Enno Middelberg[_3_]

Default Ouch! @#$%^ birds

BT Humble wrote:
Has anyone ever tried that painted-eyes-on-back-of-helmet thing? Just
curious as to whether it actually works or if it's just another myth.

I don't believe this will work: I once walked past a tree with a magpie
and got swooped at a few times - always from behind. The next time I
passed I turned around 180 deg and continued walking backwards. The
bugger sat on a branch, let itself drop and came right at my face. When
it was a few metres away I jumped up and down, waving my arms and
shouting, to scare it away.

Conclusion: magpies infer from your direction of motion where front and
back are, and attack even when they can see your face.

Cheers,

Enno
Old August 29th 07, 01:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-08-29, John Henderson wrote:
Some "bush" magpies seem much less confident about getting up close.
When bushwalking I've had them hovering a good 5 metres overhead, and
trying to be threatening from up there. I think they build up
confidence with ongoing experience with their targets.

I'll agree with that. Here in Dubbo, the town magpies are a lot more
game. The most vicious one lives right in the middle of town. It
actually perches on your shoulders and attacks your helmet and ears.
There are one or two others that will strike your helmet as they swoop
by.

The maggies that live out of town a few kilometres are much more
reserved. They just make a couple of distant passes for form's sake,
then fly off into a tree and watch you go by.

--
John
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
Old August 29th 07, 02:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

On Aug 28, 5:28 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:10:16 +1000

cfsmtb wrote:

BTW - are there any reports of the feisty little buggers on other
routes/paths in Melboring? Maybe it's a nifty idea for magpie-sightings
to be posted, so others can be aware of aggro behaviour & try to avoid
them where possible!

A new use for Bikely!

Zebee

I was about to suggest the same thing! A magpie map would be very
useful I think.

Travis

Old August 29th 07, 03:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_409_]

Travis Wrote:

I was about to suggest the same thing! A magpie map would be very
useful I think.

Pilfered this link from the bicigaga list:
http://tinyurl.com/2a3z85

No doubt this could be elaborated upon?

--
cfsmtb

Old August 29th 07, 09:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:44:59 -0700
Travis wrote:

I was about to suggest the same thing! A magpie map would be very
useful I think.

There were no maggies on my previous commute, I haven't seen any so
far. I wonder if the Melbourne Magpies are just meaner and crazier
than maggies elsewhere? I suppose they'd have to all be Collingwood
supporters which might explain it.

Zebee

Old August 30th 07, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

cfsmtb wrote:
Travis Wrote:
I was about to suggest the same thing! A magpie map would be very
useful I think.

Pilfered this link from the bicigaga list:
http://tinyurl.com/2a3z85

No doubt this could be elaborated upon?

I like it, have started a new thread.

DaveB

Killing two birds with one stone vernon UK 12 January 14th 07 01:40 PM
the birds ray Australia 5 September 19th 06 11:13 PM
When birds attack! Wally Australia 18 August 12th 06 02:00 PM
BIRDS AND COCONUTS Carl Recumbent Biking 1 November 27th 05 09:10 AM
ouch audrey UK 5 May 11th 05 11:29 PM