Open Class

Old October 27th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

Default Open Class

There's nothing like an incontinent eejit to stir things ip in a ng.
OK, all signs point towards troll, but I'm wondering about this "open
class" business. I was under the impression cycling became open many
years ago and that the only demarcation nowadays is by sex, age and
ability (i.e. grade). That's to say, anyone can enter any race provided
they meet the basic criteria. Or is this lunatic saying three year old
should be able to compete in the TdF?

Am I right or a meringue?

UD
Old October 27th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Free Willy

"Uncle Dave" wrote in message
There's nothing like an incontinent eejit to stir things ip in a ng. OK, all
signs point towards troll, but I'm wondering about this "open class"
business. I was under the impression cycling became open many years ago and
that the only demarcation nowadays is by sex, age and ability (i.e. grade).
That's to say, anyone can enter any race provided they meet the basic
criteria. Or is this lunatic saying three year old should be able to
compete in the TdF?

Am I right or a meringue?

UD

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Professional cycling is more or less an
'meritorious' affair. You aren't allowed to compete without a professional
license which license can't just be bought. It must be earned via the
accumulation of experience and points.

There are "Open" classes already in other sports. Open class drag racing,
Open class land speed record attempts, etc. Anything goes - there are no
restrictions on fuels, engines, aerodynamics etc. It's all about the goal. The
best way to achieve the goal is not restricted.

This is how "Open" class cycling should be viewed. I really do think it would
instill some much needed 'freshness' into professional cycling. Imagine an
individual time trials where aerodynamic fairings and super lightweight
monococque frames were allowed? Hell, the top speeds could be bumped
up 50% easily. And if the rider wished to "performance enhance" his body
to be even faster and stronger - so be it. Just get rid of the bureaucratic
interference that causes riders and teams to have to first compete against
the bureaucracy and each other second. That's ludicrous, IMO.

--
Willy Free

Old October 27th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

On 27/10/2012 17:52, Free Willy wrote:
"Uncle Dave" wrote in message
There's nothing like an incontinent eejit to stir things ip in a ng. OK, all
signs point towards troll, but I'm wondering about this "open class"
business. I was under the impression cycling became open many years ago and
that the only demarcation nowadays is by sex, age and ability (i.e. grade).
That's to say, anyone can enter any race provided they meet the basic
criteria. Or is this lunatic saying three year old should be able to
compete in the TdF?

Am I right or a meringue?

UD

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Professional cycling is more or less an
'meritorious' affair.

Is that entirely true? They did away with the amateur road race at the
Worlds but I thought the replacement is open, like the Olympics. You
don't have to be a professional to ride the Olympics, though most of the
top teams are of course. Like I care so long as I get to watch it...

UD

Old October 27th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Free Willy

"Uncle Dave" wrote in message
[...]

For the Olympics you must have merit. You must first compete in qualifying
rounds. . .

--
Willy Free