Mountain Bikers Destroy Rainforest Area as Large as a Football Field!

Old September 26th 06, 07:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Bikers Destroy Rainforest Area as Large as a Football Field!

http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:

From a friend:

I went on a tour of our parks and forests with PNEAC in areas I
normally would not go, as it is considered more neighbourhood forested
areas at end of streets, cul-de-sacs, etc. and places I do not know
about. We looked at the most devastating thing in our forest. A
mountain bike bmx dirt jum area that was a large as a football field
built around trees, etc. in that part of the forest in the Mt. Seymour
area, next door to Fromme. It had ramps and walls to jump off -- all
dirt dug from the forest floor, etc. The DNV Parks people said they
could not charge anyone because they did not know who did it (so lame,
as anyone using it is breaking the law). Meanwhile during the fire
hazard warning not to smoke cigarettes in the forest we noted one of
the mtb bmx'ers (bmx'ing with mountain bikes) smoking a cigarette, and
the head guy of parks did not do anything about it. I cannot explain
how bad it is but picture what they have done to the Appalachian
mountains for strip mining coal, plus the odd tree in between the
jumps and ramps, etc. You have got a pretty good picture. It is
devastating, and not a finger has been lifted by the Parks people or
the apathetic neighbourhood living right next to this monstrousity! I
will be going back in with my camera with the Mayor, if possible, and
will send you it. I have never seen such devastation in my life to a
forest land. It rivals the structures in Mt. Fromme.

What I do not understand is how the DNV Parks people let this one
continue to the extent it did. I had not heard of it until last
night. I feel pretty sick about it. Why are people so apathetic about
this kind of thing? I wonder what else is out there I do not know
about. At this rate, the forest in DNV might as well become one large
adventure and amusement park. I am also pretty angry right now at the
Parks people who let this kind of thing happen without lifting a
finger to stop it, telling me that the local kids want to have
something close to their neighbourhoods. So lame! Sometimes I wish I
didn't know about this.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 26th 06, 12:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
di

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:

From a friend:

[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"I cannot explain how bad it is but picture what they have done to the
Appalachian
mountains for strip mining coal"

Mountain bikers are now strip mining for coal in the Appalachian's?

"I feel pretty sick about it"

Good, if it makes you sick, it does have some value.

Old September 26th 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Marz

Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:

From a friend:

[...]

The fact that you have friends amazes me and the fact that they're
Canadian reflects poorly on that country.

We all know that you believe humans should live in Area A and Area B
should be left to mother nature, with no merging of the zones, but as
this is never going to happen (well maybe in California) what would you
consider the lesser of two evils. An area cleared (of all trees and
undergrowth) for a football field plus another area (twice the size)
cleared for parking, stands and amenities OR a football field sized
area cleared of 'some' undergrowth and no trees for an mtb jump zone.
Which one of these two areas would recover fastest if left unused?

Laters,

Marz

Old September 26th 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Since when is Canada forestland considered "rainforest"? What are the
coordinates of this alleged destruction? Google sat maps are very detailed
for that region. Where is this? Perhaps the exaggeration is tainted by
emotion as the DNV did not act in such a manner as this absolutist
considered to be called for.

You (and those like you) give only as much information as you feel necessary
to make your point and exclude real information that counters it. The
exclusion of actual locations to verify this "third party" account is
suspect. The fact that it references residential proximity also makes the
entire account suspect.

Wow! Some kids are riding bikes in a vacant lot adjacent to their
neighborhood...? Rainforest destruction...? Only MV math can arrive at
that answer.

Old September 27th 06, 03:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Slack

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:33:58 -0700, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:

Hell yes!!!! That's a kick ass jump park. Please post directions.

Thanks Mikey, you're starting to come around.
--
Slack
Old September 28th 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Roberto Baggio

Seymour and Fromme were extensively logged years ago. Most of the
hiking/biking/running/horse trails there are on old skidder and access
roads/trails. The community is allowed to access the local forest for
leisure, just like they are allowed to access local beaches. Hundreds of
people, besides local government, maintain the areas enjoyed by the local
people (which they do without cost to anyone). Fromme and Seymour were once
bare; now you cannot see any trails from an aerial view because proper
management has allowed for a coexistence between natural growth and use of
the forests.

Your lack of understanding and your spreading of non factual information is
overly obvious, as is your hard-on for mountain bikers. Stop being such an
ass with your complaints about how forest management should be done in
Canada. The DNV said nothing because they are informed and understand what
they are doing.

Why not put some of your complaints into parking lots, soccer fields,
baseball parks, housing, or the Brazilian logging industry. There dealing
with forests and land make what occurs in the DNV look like the plucking of
a blade of grass from a lawn.

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:

From a friend:

Old September 30th 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:06:05 -0400, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

Since when is Canada forestland considered "rainforest"? What are the
coordinates of this alleged destruction? Google sat maps are very detailed
for that region. Where is this? Perhaps the exaggeration is tainted by
emotion as the DNV did not act in such a manner as this absolutist
considered to be called for.

You (and those like you) give only as much information as you feel necessary
to make your point and exclude real information that counters it. The
exclusion of actual locations to verify this "third party" account is
suspect. The fact that it references residential proximity also makes the
entire account suspect.

Wow! Some kids are riding bikes in a vacant lot adjacent to their
neighborhood...? Rainforest destruction...? Only MV math can arrive at
that answer.

It was virgin rainforest in BC, destroyed by mountain bikers purely
for cheap thrills.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 30th 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:11:35 GMT, "Roberto Baggio"
wrote:

[...]

This destruction of rainforest habitat was done without any
permission. Your lame excuses don't hold water.

Why not put some of your complaints into parking lots, soccer fields,
baseball parks, housing, or the Brazilian logging industry. There dealing
with forests and land make what occurs in the DNV look like the plucking of
a blade of grass from a lawn.

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:

From a friend:

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 30th 06, 06:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Roberto Baggio

Mein Lieben! I've been to that area - have you?

That is not virgin rainforest - those trees are mere 2nd growth sapplings.

Anxiously awaiting your canned reply on how I can help with YOUR problem.

To put it mildly, you're on crack.

Old September 30th 06, 01:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

wrote:

Since when is Canada forestland considered "rainforest"? What are the
coordinates of this alleged destruction? Google sat maps are very detailed
for that region. Where is this? Perhaps the exaggeration is tainted by
emotion as the DNV did not act in such a manner as this absolutist
considered to be called for.

Interesting... You didn't call me out on "rainforest" designation in
Canada. I was curious and looked it up. Pacific rim watershed areas along
North America are actually classified as "rainforests". Yet you ignore my my
mistake to focus on your alleged destruction by "mountain bikers".

You (and those like you) give only as much information as you feel
necessary
to make your point and exclude real information that counters it. The
exclusion of actual locations to verify this "third party" account is
suspect. The fact that it references residential proximity also makes the
entire account suspect.

Wow! Some kids are riding bikes in a vacant lot adjacent to their
neighborhood...? Rainforest destruction...? Only MV math can arrive at
that answer.

It was virgin rainforest in BC, destroyed by mountain bikers purely
for cheap thrills.

"Virgin"...? This close to major population and residential...? To quote the
piece you posted: "as it is considered more neighbourhood forested
areas at end of streets, cul-de-sacs, etc."
You ignore the FACT the area was already compromised by houses, roads,
proximity to population and construction.
Mountain bikers did not destroy anything. They are utilizing an area that is
adjacent to their living area. You ignore my mistake of rainforest
designation to continue your microscopic focus on your OPINION that anything
concerning bicycles off-road is suspect.
===