Favorite rear tire?

Old March 29th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Favorite rear tire?

It's about time to replace an old rear tire, after plenty of miles of
faithful service. I figure I'll research & buy it over mud season,
and install it before my first trail ride once things dry out. No
point beating up a new dirt tire riding the wood in my yard.
The bike I'm referring to is a hardtail, now the "Sunday" bike as I
picked up a cheap FS for a beater/snow/rain ride. My general theme
with this bike is light, nice and fast. It will see very little
pavement, and hopefully very little fire road. I figure since I won't
be riding this in the snow anymore, I can get away from the wider
tires with the huge mud-bar tread. I'll be riding New England, so
it'll be hardpack with some roots & rocks thrown in. No ski-lift
stuff. My previous tires were great on dirt, snow etc but left a
little to be desired when riding up rock. They were slick on wet wood
as well, but I don't hold that against them.
I also don't want to spend $90 on a tire.
Suggestions?

Old March 29th 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mar 29, 12:47 pm, "G.T." wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Whatever Kenda suits your terrain.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check their catalog.

I'm tempted toward the Fire XC Pro as well, but I'm not sure how to
tell if it's Japanese, Tiawanese, OEM, original, etc. That's before
red & blue sidewalls come into play...

Old March 29th 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Micheal Artindale

"G.T." wrote in message
[...]

I have a kenda bear claw pon my rear. I dont slide out going up or down
hills, great in snow, doesn't spin in mud, and decent on rock. I got it at
Canadian Tire for $20

Micheal

Old March 29th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 12:47 pm, "G.T." wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Do yourself a favor and skip them. Some people have luck with them but
myself along with many others have had most of the knobs tear off in a
single 2 hour ride when using them on the rear.

My philosophy is that there are so many tires out there that work well why
even take a chance on one people have had trouble with.

I use the Kenda Kinetic 2.35 and I think CDB has recommended the Nevegal in
the past. I'll probably pick up a Nevegal next time.

Greg

Old March 29th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Mar 29, 4:05 pm, "G.T." wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 29, 12:47 pm, "G.T." wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

Thats interesting. I've never had a problem with mine (which are,
FWIW, the higher TPI Japanese version). Maybe it's an East Coast/West
Coast terrain thing? (Eg: In the mid 1990s, I LOVED my soft, sticky
Continentals here, but wore a new pair down to a slick at Moab.)

/s

Old March 29th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My older framed XC bike doesn't much like tires over 2.1. I use Weirwolves
front and back for the wet stuff, and switch to Fire XC when things start to
dry out. Both of these tives have good cross over, so I'm not too anal
about when the change takes place. My normal terrain is hilly dirt
singletrack with roots and rocks.

I don't put on as many miles as many folks in this group, but this combo has
worked very well for me for 2-3 seasons. Also, I got both sets of tires on
eBay for under $30 a pair.

Cheers
Gary

Old March 29th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 29, 6:50 am, " wrote:
[...]

East? Continental Vertical Pro or Gravity.

JD

Old March 29th 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Mamba" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

And there you have two pro-Fire XC testimonials to my one anti-Fire XC.

And to Gordo's note, I had the Japanese version, too.

Greg

Old March 30th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CowPunk

On Mar 30, 5:14 am, "G.T." wrote:
"Mamba" wrote in message

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I'll second the negative on the Fire XC's. knobs are spaced too far
apart and tear off.
Mine only lasted about a month. Front washes out also, compared to
smoke/dart, conti's and WTB's.

Of course, it all depends on what type of dirt you ride. What doesn't
work here in CO might work whereever you live.
I would think they work well on loose/semi-wet forest soil, but don't
work well on dry soft sand or hardpack.

Rear Tire Number 5 Marian Techniques 12 March 3rd 06 02:32 PM
New rear tire installed... C.J.Patten Techniques 6 June 29th 05 05:29 AM
New rear tire installed... C.J.Patten General 3 June 29th 05 05:29 AM
fat, slick rear tire....why? Roger Zoul General 17 May 2nd 05 06:20 PM
What is everyone's favorite...TIRE SIDEWALL COLOR? (Thx Sorni!) Raptor Mountain Biking 11 March 25th 05 09:13 PM