DuraAce 7800 brakes v. 6600 brakes

Old January 31st 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default DuraAce 7800 brakes v. 6600 brakes

I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have
on my bike - which I think work fine. I'd like to hear from anyone
who has actually tested or ridden both sets. The 15g-20g difference
in weight I don't care about. Thanks

Old January 31st 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"RS" wrote in message
I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have
on my bike - which I think work fine. I'd like to hear from anyone
who has actually tested or ridden both sets. The 15g-20g difference
in weight I don't care about. Thanks

Of course they'll be better! The 7800 brakes will be like stopping in a
feather-lined.... No, sorry, can't go on.

May be some material differences - better finish, stuff like that. And
you've seen the weight difference. But on the whole, there ain't a lot you
can do with brakes if they're the same shape.

Old January 31st 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:51:17 -0800, RS wrote:

I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have on
my bike - which I think work fine. I'd like to hear from anyone who has
actually tested or ridden both sets. The 15g-20g difference in weight I
don't care about. Thanks

Not ridden them, so ignore the following:

Brake feel has to do with cable routing, brake block quality, and caliper
setup far more than it does the brake caliper--as long as the caliper is
of reasonable quality.*

Your DAs may or not "feel" better than the Ultegras depending on your
setup. Route your cables wisely, lube your lever and caliper pivots, and
toe in your shoes properly. If you want to further improve braking,
replace the inserts with Kool-Stops.**

*That said, I've set up old steel Raleigh 3spd brakes with all the other
kit modern--and had it feel nicer than modern brakes set up by a goon. So
the caliper isn't even that important, either.

**FWIW--I run Kool-Stops only on the fronts of my bikes, as that's where
I want the power, use less tenacious pads in rear if ya want.

Old January 31st 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 30, 11:51*pm, RS wrote:
I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. *Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have
on my bike - which I think work fine. *I'd like to hear from anyone
who has actually tested or ridden both sets. *The 15g-20g difference
in weight I don't care about. *Thanks

I doubt that you will feel much of a difference between the two
assuming your cable, housing and pad set-up are the same. Technically
dura-ace has bearings in both pivots were as ultegra has a bearing
only in the main pivot. Other than that it is mostly material
difference, finish, and a small amount of weight that separates the
two brakes.

Steve Sauter
Old February 1st 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

On Jan 31, 8:42 am, wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:51 pm, RS wrote:

I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have
on my bike - which I think work fine. I'd like to hear from anyone
who has actually tested or ridden both sets. The 15g-20g difference
in weight I don't care about. Thanks

I doubt that you will feel much of a difference between the two
assuming your cable, housing and pad set-up are the same. Technically
dura-ace has bearings in both pivots were as ultegra has a bearing
only in the main pivot. Other than that it is mostly material
difference, finish, and a small amount of weight that separates the
two brakes.

Steve Sauter

I won't check that Shimano does this; but they likely do, in common
with Campag and SRAM Put ball bearings in there in place of a plain
bushing. Look for an exploded diagram.
The finish should be better. After all, it is hard to tell Ultegra
apart from 105 without the paint, once two more dimensions of
adjustment to the brake pad angle were included in the 105 a couple of
years ago to mark an improvement over the previous year's model.

Harry Travis