CBT and cyclling safely

Old November 18th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DDEckerslyke

Default CBT and cyclling safely

Who knows why I'm posting this...?

I bought a motorbike a few years ago and had to do the Compulsory Basic
Training CBT. The guy who ran the course had a well practised joke about
observations: 'When I go to the toilet for a dump I do an observation.'
But, you know, in a funny kind of a way, he was right. What the CBT taught
me more than anything was observation. For instance most cyclists I see, and
I know, change lanes with a vague apologetic raising of the arm and without
looking at all - trusting to the good will of the average car user. I'd
respectfully suggest that this is not the optimal strategy.

The motorbike's are long since gone. I ride to work every day, and every day
that guy's voice runs through my mind a bit like Obi wan Kenobi
nagging/inspiring Luke Skywalker. Observation, observation, observation.

It's a ridiculous suggestion but if you've got 120 quid to spare you cold do
worse than a good CBT course. Touch wood I feel a lot safer on the road
because of it.

My 2 pennorth.

cheers

dd

Old November 18th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

"DDEckerslyke" wrote in message

It's a ridiculous suggestion but if you've got 120 quid to spare you cold
do
worse than a good CBT course. Touch wood I feel a lot safer on the road
because of it.

Or read cyclecraft about £14.

Jc.

Old November 18th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Josey wrote:
"DDEckerslyke" wrote in message

It's a ridiculous suggestion but if you've got 120 quid to spare you cold
do
worse than a good CBT course. Touch wood I feel a lot safer on the road
because of it.

Or read cyclecraft about £14.

Jc.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...mozilla-search

A quick look here showed them for less too
:-))
Old November 18th 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Dan Gregory wrote:
Josey wrote:
"DDEckerslyke" wrote in message

It's a ridiculous suggestion but if you've got 120 quid to spare you
cold do
worse than a good CBT course. Touch wood I feel a lot safer on the road
because of it.

Or read cyclecraft about £14.

Jc.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...mozilla-search

A quick look here showed them for less too
:-))

Although there is one for £458 !!!!
Old November 18th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:41:03 -0000
"DDEckerslyke" wrote:

Who knows why I'm posting this...?

I bought a motorbike a few years ago and had to do the Compulsory
Basic Training CBT.

Wossat? Compulsory training? Since when?

/me did Star Rider silver onna motorbike, but there was no
question of it being compulsory.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/
Old November 18th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:00:06 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:

Wossat? Compulsory training? Since when?

At least 10 years ago, probably more like 15.

I did my motorbike test in the days when 4 times round the block with the
examiner standing at the kerbside was the standard. Emergency braking:
the fat examiner leaps out from his hiding place behind a lamp-post and
surprises you. Or not, as the case may be....

Mike
Old November 18th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 18/11/2006 20:00, Nick Kew said,

Wossat? Compulsory training? Since when?

I was looking at doing the bike test what must be 15 years ago, and it
was compulsory then, I'm pretty sure.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old November 18th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GeoffC

Mike Causer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:00:06 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:

Wossat? Compulsory training? Since when?

At least 10 years ago, probably more like 15.

I did my motorbike test in the days when 4 times round the block with
the examiner standing at the kerbside was the standard. Emergency
braking: the fat examiner leaps out from his hiding place behind a
lamp-post and surprises you. Or not, as the case may be....

Keeping his fingers crossed that he has picked the right bike :-)

--

Geoff

Old November 19th 06, 03:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

"DDEckerslyke" wrote:

Who knows why I'm posting this...?

I bought a motorbike a few years ago and had to do the Compulsory
Basic Training CBT.

Wossat? Compulsory training? Since when?

In 1990 CBT took the place of part one of the two-part motorcycle test
(which had been introduced in 1982).
Old November 19th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Following on from DDEckerslyke's message. . .

It's a ridiculous suggestion but if you've got 120 quid to spare you cold do
worse than a good CBT course. Touch wood I feel a lot safer on the road
because of it.

STOP STOP STOP! [Is there an echo in here?]

Just about the only thing bicycles and motorbikes have in common is the
number of wheels.

This boils down to : Motorbikes are rarely overtaken
(Also they don't ride in the gutter and 'keep out of the way' of 'proper
traffic'.)

The relationship between a cycle and other traffic is entirely different
to that of a motorbike and requires a completely different approach.
Just to give one simple example: At a road narrowing a cyclist will
often want to move into the centre of the lane in good time to stop some
twerp behind trying to squeeze through at the same time. This isn't an
issue for motorbikes.

Motorbikers often mean well when they give advice to cyclists, but in my
experience every time this has been flawed - sometimes seriously.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists