Cyclist knocked off bike by traffic worker

Old July 18th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Default Cyclist knocked off bike by traffic worker

.... ahhhh, the cycling life .... [from the Boulder Daily Camera)

"A man working traffic control during a repaving project last week on
North Foothills Highway [US36 - a two lane highway north of Boulder - a
*very* popular cycling route] used his stop sign to knock a cyclist off
his bicycle after he neglected to stop and was then punched in the face,
Boulder County Sheriff's Office deputies reported.

Workers holding stop signs at the paving project at [near] Neva Road
told police that they were having problems with bicyclists ignoring the
traffic signs.

When one passed through the afternoon of July 9 and ignored the stop
sign, the sign holder radioed to his partner on the other end, deputies
reported. When the cyclist rode past the other traffic worker, he held
out his stop sign and hit the bicyclist, knocking him off his bike.

The cyclist got up, punched the stop sign and then the man holding it,
the report stated. The cyclist, who was reportedly wearing a white shirt
with red-and-black lettering, was not located by officers."

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 19th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bdbafh

On Jul 17, 7:22 pm, Chuck Anderson wrote:
[...]

Two wrongs ... makes for an interesting news story.

-bdbafh

Old July 19th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
James1549

Are we supposed to feel bad for the cyclist? Too bad he got a good
punch in b4 he fled the scene.

James

Old July 19th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Jul 19, 2:07 pm, bdbafh wrote:

Two wrongs ... makes for an interesting news story.

All wrongs are of equal weight?

The first was a traffic infraction and not necessarily a hazard. The
second - assault with a stop sign - is a crime. Judge Judy would
conclude that the cyclist punching the traffic "cop" was not an
unusual reaction.

Many would have remained prone on the ground complaining about
whiplash until the police arrived. That would have been a walkaway
win for any lawyer.

Old July 20th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article .com,
James1549 wrote:

Are we supposed to feel bad for the cyclist? Too bad he got a good
punch in b4 he fled the scene.

The cyclist was the victim of a premeditated assault. I hope he broke
that sign-wielding asshole's nose.
Old July 20th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

bdbafh wrote:
On Jul 17, 7:22 pm, Chuck Anderson wrote:

... ahhhh, the cycling life .... [from the Boulder Daily Camera)

"...When one passed through the afternoon of July 9 and ignored the stop
sign, the sign holder radioed to his partner on the other end, deputies
reported. When the cyclist rode past the other traffic worker, he held
out his stop sign and hit the bicyclist, knocking him off his bike.

The cyclist got up, punched the stop sign and then the man holding it,
the report stated. The cyclist, who was reportedly wearing a white shirt
with red-and-black lettering, was not located by officers."

Two wrongs ... makes for an interesting news story.

That's about my take on it. A wash. The cyclist wrongly started it. The
flagman overreacted. The cyclist's response to that seems appropriate,
and fair that that he got away. I think they both came away having
learned a lesson. But it also makes me chuckle when I imagine the blind
anger, ... punching the sign ... and then the flagman.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 20th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
William Asher

Chuck Anderson wrote:

bdbafh wrote:
[...]

This is one of those heart-warming American stories that could only be
improved by gunplay.

--
Bill Asher