Colorodo Climb Routes

Old August 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Doug[_5_]

Default Colorodo Climb Routes

Hi everyone .. thinking about a trip to Colorado next summer to ride some US
climbs. Been over all the French and Italian big passes, time to check out
the home front. Can anyone suggest some good resources for some good climbs
... preferably loops, but that's not as important.

Also, if you were going to ride for about a week doing climbs, would you
pick Colorado, Utah, California, or Montana ? Or somewhere else?

Thanks Doug

Old August 31st 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

I don't live in Colorado and have never ridden there, but I was in the Vail
region a couple of weeks ago on business. The place is absolutely
beautiful, and everywhere you look - whether you're in a bustling town/city
or way out in the mountains - there's a bicycle path. I'd imagine that
means there's some good mountain biking, too. Even if it's all just bike
paths (which I don't think it is) I would say there are some really nice
climbs and some extraordinary views to be enjoyed there.

Old September 1st 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Aug 31, 4:26 pm, "Doug" wrote:
Hi everyone .. thinking about a trip to Colorado next summer to ride some US
climbs. Been over all the French and Italian big passes, time to check out
the home front. Can anyone suggest some good resources for some good climbs
.. preferably loops, but that's not as important.

Also, if you were going to ride for about a week doing climbs, would you
pick Colorado, Utah, California, or Montana ? Or somewhere else?

Thanks Doug

I just finished a San Francisco to Milwaukee ride and can comment
briefly on CA and Utah, though I speak from the standpoint of one who
tried to minimize climbing:

My CA route had a steep climb on 121 of maybe 2000 feet from the Napa
Valley to Sacramento Valley. Then after going north to Marysville I
took 20 east through Grass Valley and Nevada City and beyond to where
it joins I80, then I80 over the Donner summit (7200 ft plus). There
were a lot of big ups and downs throughout, and plenty of opportunity
for more had I ranged north and south in the Sierras rather than east
into Nevada.

Going east from Salt Lake City, I wasn't allowed on I-80 in the
Wasatch foothills, and so had to take Emigrant Canyon Rd. Then near
the top of that climb, when I could have gone down and picked up I-80
I mistakenly continued north on East Canyon Road, which climbed to -
it seemed to me - not far below the peaks in the area, which were a
little under 9000 feet. Then I continued generally north on route 65,
with quite a bit of up and down including one short stretch steeper
than the referenced canyons.

Old September 1st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

[...]

Ron, glad to hear you made and survived your ride. A longer TR would
be very welcome.

Bill

__o | Look to the past and remember no empire rises
_`\(,_ | that sooner or later won't fall.
(_)/ (_) | --Al Stewart
Old September 1st 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Doug wrote:
Hi everyone .. thinking about a trip to Colorado next summer to ride some US
climbs. Been over all the French and Italian big passes, time to check out
the home front. Can anyone suggest some good resources for some good climbs
.. preferably loops, but that's not as important.

Also, if you were going to ride for about a week doing climbs, would you
pick Colorado, Utah, California, or Montana ? Or somewhere else?

If you're in it for sheer altitude, you want to go to Colorado. They
have plenty of very high roads, mostly through routes: Trail Rider,
Berthoud, Loveland, Independence, Monarch, and Wolf Creek Passes are all
over 11,000' (3300 m). Road conditions vary with the season, of course.
There's also Mosquito Pass, high like the rest but dirt, so fewer cars and
more of a trail bike experience. Some of these routes (Independence,
Trail Rider, and Loveland) are narrow and winding. Others, like Monarch
and Wolf Creek, are long, comparatively gentle grades on major highways,
mostly with good, wide shoulders.
Colorado also has the Mount Evans Highway, a steep, narrow, winding
road that's scary even in a car. My 1.7 liter four-banger barely made it
up. It ends up at 14,200' (4330 m) - the highest road in the USA. A
couple of cyclists at the summit saw my empty bike rack and promptly
begged me for a ride partway down.
Utah has more varied (i.e., not all alpine) terrain, with only a few
roads over 10,000'(3050 m), but lots of canyon and desert routes.

Bill

__o | The American fascist would prefer not to use violence.
_`\(,_ | His method is to poison the channels of public information
(_)/ (_) | --Henry A. Wallace

Old September 3rd 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 1, 3:54 pm, wrote:
Ron Wallenfang wrote:
[...]

Bill -

Thanks for your interest and for your earlier advice. I'm working on
a long trip report but it will likely be a few weeks before I get it
posted. Essentially, the bottom line is 2131 miles, beginning in San
Francisco before dawn on Aug. 10 and reaching home in metro Milwaukee
at 1:00 p.m. Aug. 26. Aside from a short last day when I needed only
77 miles to get home, my worst daily mileage was 92 on Aug. 16, coming
up out of SLC to Evanston WY - shortened by an incorrectly perceived
absence of motels ahead - and my best day was 186 on Aug. 20, from
Douglas, WY to Gordon NEB. Going through WY and SD means that I've
now biked in all 48 contiguous states. I found a motel every night
but had two close calls for spending a night outside. I'm not a real
good climber and had to walk the bike up parts of three hills - one on
121 east of Napa; the other two on East Canyon Road east of SLC. But
I did the whole trip without any motorized transport. I got wet only
once, about 50 miles of riding in the rain in IA; two flat tires.

Ron

Old September 3rd 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 2, 9:18 pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
On Sep 1, 3:54 pm, wrote:

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
[...]

Whoops! That was 2313 miles

Old September 4th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Doug[_5_]

Good discussion ..

How about Durango vs. Denver areas? Both seem to have some good rides.

Old September 6th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Doug wrote:
Hi everyone .. thinking about a trip to Colorado next summer to ride some US
climbs. Been over all the French and Italian big passes, time to check out
the home front. Can anyone suggest some good resources for some good climbs
.. preferably loops, but that's not as important.

Also, if you were going to ride for about a week doing climbs, would you
pick Colorado, Utah, California, or Montana ? Or somewhere else?

There are plenty of easy ways to create loop rides in Colorado that go
over well traveled, as well as not so well traveled passes.

Just being lazy, I can point you to a book -
http://bicyclecolo.org/itemdetails.c...0&catalogId=34

Some suggestions:

Start in the I70 corridor - west of Denver - and ride up and over
Loveland Pass (highway 6, not the tunnel on I70), then into Dillon. Take
the bike path from Dillon to Copper Mountain to go up highway 91 and
over Fremont Pass to Leadville, go back north on 24 over Tennessee Pass
to Vail and then the bike path over Vail Pass back to Frisco.

And/or ... from Frisco, take highway 9 over Hoosier Pass to Fairplay and
then to Buena Vista and over my favorite Pass - Cottonwood Pass (14
miles of dirt road, downhill from the summit) and go visit Crested
Butte. If you're fine riding on more dirt mountain roads - go west from
Crested Butte to highway 133 (end of dirt) and go north or south. I'd go
north to Glenwood Springs (just to see the place), but you could head
into Aspen and go over Independence Pass.

You could also leave Crested Butte on the road (the way you came in), go
back to highway 50 and ride east over Monarch Pass - not a ride I really
recommend, though.

Of all that, the quickest and best way to do many passes in a loop would
be from my first paragraph.

Like I said, Cottonwood Pass is a personal favorite (as is the town of
Crested Butte). Cottonwood Pass has very little traffic and an often
serene ride over 12,000+ feet with great scenery.

Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park is awesome.

There are ways to create a route involving Rocky Mountain National Park
and the "Steamboat Springs area" as well.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old September 11th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Doug wrote:
Good discussion ..

How about Durango vs. Denver areas? Both seem to have some good rides.

Durango is near Wolf Creek Pass ("way up on the Great Divide," famous
in the old C. W. McCall song), a major highway (US-160) but recently
upgraded over much of its length, one of those long, relatively gentle
routes I mentioned.
From Durango you could also do the very challenging "Million Dollar
Highway" north to Silverton and Ouray. You are in the San Juans here, one
of the greatest concentrations of alpine scenery anywhere. There are high
dirt roads, e.g. Engineer Pass, all over. More scenic than the Denver
area, and less congested. I have never been over the hill from Ouray
(pronounced "YOU-Ray" BTW) to Telluride, but I hear it's spectacular there
as well (if maybe a little "Aspeny")

Bill

__o | Hummer: 10 mpg
_`\(,_ | Bicycle: uses no oil at all.
(_)/ (_) | So, who are the patriots?

Now that's a climb! Jay Woo Australia 4 June 9th 05 10:35 AM
Now that's a climb! Peter Signorini Australia 0 June 4th 05 09:31 AM
Now that's a climb! Parbs Australia 0 June 4th 05 08:44 AM
Now that's a climb! Tamyka Bell Australia 0 June 4th 05 01:40 AM
Mt Wallace Climb rickster Australia 10 February 27th 04 04:30 AM