Light works

Old August 28th 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Light works

wrote:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112922/article.html

So when do bike accessory manufacturers finally wake up and build
something like this? Why do things take so long with bicycles?

Until now all the lights I've tried and seen are between "barely bright
enough" and utter junk.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 28th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

not so.....night riders in the park are seen with midlevel systems both on bike and helmet....good enough for 25 mph on pavement.

http://goo.gl/IPoGVq

Old August 28th 14, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Ian Field wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
not so.....night riders in the park are seen with midlevel systems
both on bike and helmet....good enough for 25 mph on pavement.

25mph on pavement ... yawn

What I meant is something that also holds up at 25mph on a bone-rattling
trail. Like it does on cars. No super-expensive boutiques stuff, regular
affordable gear, just like on cars or motorcycles.

I use such trails regularly also for commutes and pretty soon it'll be
dark when I get back. So right now I sometimes have three different
lighting systems front an back in order to be able to switch to the next
after one fails.

http://goo.gl/IPoGVq

Those links don't work here, produce just a blank page.

You could have the about blank infection - some pages open with "blank
page" in the title bar.

Something to do with hijacking peoples browsers and getting a fee for
every re-directed search.

No, definitely not, then you'd land on a site you did not click on. But
some of the more intrusive scripts get blocked. There is usually some
content, sometimes not. You basically see that some script wants to
connect to a server that my firewall considers suspect and then it all
ends right there.

Sites I need for my jobs such as Digikey or McMaster and sites for
biking such as PricePoint do not have such issues. Nashbar .. different
story, so I buy at PricePoint.

Old August 28th 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:58:45 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
wrote:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112922/article.html

So when do bike accessory manufacturers finally wake up and build
something like this? Why do things take so long with bicycles?

Until now all the lights I've tried and seen are between "barely bright
enough" and utter junk.

Some of us use hub dynamos and good quality LED headlights. My utility bike
has a Shimano hub dynamo and a Busch & Muller headlight. It gives me
plenty of light. It does a great job of illuminating the road, with a
nice even beam, and I can see it illuminating stop signs nearly a quarter
mile away.

The setup isn't cheap. I paid about $65 for the hub, and the headlight was
a $100 Christmas gift. (I built up the wheel myself.) But I don't expect
to have to replace the setup for the next ten years. To me, it's worth
the expense. Certainly, it would be cheaper if it were standard equipment
on every bike; but we have to face the facts, that most people in
westernized countries use bikes as daytime toys. They wouldn't want to
spend the money for a headlight they'd seldom or never use.

While this is a road bike, last week I used it after dark to inspect some
work we'd recently done in our local forest preserve. I don't know whether
it would work on a wooded off-road trail at 25 mph, but it allowed me to
do fine on the single track trails I was riding at much lower speed.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 28th 14, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Europeans use hub dynamos a lot. It would be possible but difficult on
my mountain bike because it has a serious disc brake up front. I'd be ok
with a central Li-Ion battery if some company made a better holder than
those flimsy Velcro thingies.

The lights I've seen were all plastic and/or on skinny brackets, those
on the Lumotec lights would never survive. I need something that will
survive even if a rock the size of a fist smacks to it. Happens a lot.
Like Tuesday, barreled down a trail to get home, front wheel squished
off a rock that size, it ricocheted from somewhere ... *KANGGG* ...
smack-dab between my right foot and crank. I stopped and it was still
cradled there. Took a chunk out of the crank and my shoe. Earlier this
summer one ricocheted off and crashed into the handlebar. Then there's
the rocks kicked up by other riders. And the occasional thick Manzanita
branch.

Old August 29th 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/08/14 08:27, Joerg wrote:

Europeans use hub dynamos a lot. It would be possible but difficult on
my mountain bike because it has a serious disc brake up front. I'd be ok
with a central Li-Ion battery if some company made a better holder than
those flimsy Velcro thingies.

Maybe take a look here...
http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8Xseriesdynamo%20hub.html

The lights I've seen were all plastic and/or on skinny brackets, those
on the Lumotec lights would never survive. I need something that will
survive even if a rock the size of a fist smacks to it. Happens a lot.
Like Tuesday, barreled down a trail to get home, front wheel squished
off a rock that size, it ricocheted from somewhere ... *KANGGG* ...
smack-dab between my right foot and crank. I stopped and it was still
cradled there. Took a chunk out of the crank and my shoe. Earlier this
summer one ricocheted off and crashed into the handlebar. Then there's
the rocks kicked up by other riders. And the occasional thick Manzanita
branch.

The IQ-Tec Premium light I use has a heavy steel bracket and sturdy body.

http://www.xxcycle.com/busch-and-muller-cyo-premium-front-light-iq-tec-p-80-lux-1752qsndi-04,,en.php

--
JS
Old August 29th 14, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

James wrote:
On 29/08/14 08:27, Joerg wrote:

Europeans use hub dynamos a lot. It would be possible but difficult on
my mountain bike because it has a serious disc brake up front. I'd be ok
with a central Li-Ion battery if some company made a better holder than
those flimsy Velcro thingies.

Maybe take a look here...
http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8Xseriesdynamo%20hub.html

When I win the lottery :-)

I think Schmidt and Sons in Germany makes something like this but then
you be looking at 100 Euros plus labor. I really don't like to do
spokes. Have done it but hated it.

I'd rather have a central battery where you can get a ton of capacity at
same weight. Then the bike can power lights and other gear even at
standstill, like during breaks. For example, when a friend discovered a
cave we were able to take the light off my bike and crawl in. I know, I
know, thou shalt not do that ...

The lights I've seen were all plastic and/or on skinny brackets, those
on the Lumotec lights would never survive. I need something that will
survive even if a rock the size of a fist smacks to it. Happens a lot.
Like Tuesday, barreled down a trail to get home, front wheel squished
off a rock that size, it ricocheted from somewhere ... *KANGGG* ...
smack-dab between my right foot and crank. I stopped and it was still
cradled there. Took a chunk out of the crank and my shoe. Earlier this
summer one ricocheted off and crashed into the handlebar. Then there's
the rocks kicked up by other riders. And the occasional thick Manzanita
branch.

The IQ-Tec Premium light I use has a heavy steel bracket and sturdy body.

http://www.xxcycle.com/busch-and-muller-cyo-premium-front-light-iq-tec-p-80-lux-1752qsndi-04,,en.php

That's the ones I had seen. On a mountain bike there is really nothing
you could fasten it do, you'd have to buy or build a clamp bracket. This
kind of U-shape carrier will not hold up, it'll get bent real soon.

The enclosure itself needs to be metal, aircraft aluminum or something
similar. I've even broken ABS.

Old August 29th 14, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ugh the dynamo devils

no no no

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bike-...systems?page=3

try MTB there