why do you ride on a shared path

Old March 9th 04, 08:05 AM
Muso

Default why do you ride on a shared path

Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going through a midlife
crisis or what?
little kids on a "SHARED" path and ****** riders flying past yelling watch
out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ sake! if you
want to ride like real ******* use the road and yell at the cars. at least
they'll hit you back.

Old March 9th 04, 08:25 AM
Mike

Muso wrote:
Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going through a midlife
crisis or what?

You certainly do have one big chip on your shoulder there!

Such paths are happily shared between commuters, fittness riders,
roller-bladers (except just after Christmas when they are a PITA),
joggers, pram-pushers, dog walkers (with leash!) etc.
All regular users know to keep left, especially when they hear the
warning bell of an approaching cyclist.

little kids on a "SHARED" path

Little kids have _no_place_ on a shared path until they have learned to
ride safely and correctly. Keep your wobbly dyslexic brats away until
they know right from left and can be trusted on a public way.

and ****** riders flying past yelling watch

So you never wank Muso? You must feel so guilty when you do.

out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ sake! if you

Or are the loosers the parents who recklessly take their chilren beyond
their depth?

want to ride like real ******* use the road and yell at the cars. at least
they'll hit you back.

It seems to me you are doing a lot of yelling there, and from a
cowarldly anonamous address too. What a tosser.

Old March 9th 04, 09:45 AM
jazmo

Muso wrote:
Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going through a
midlife crisis or what? little kids on a "SHARED" path and ****** riders
flying past yelling watch out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared
path for christ sake! if you want to ride like real ******* use the road
and yell at the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

I ride on a shared path because it's a shared path.

Later.

Old March 9th 04, 09:55 AM

"Muso" == Muso writes:

Muso Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
Muso through a midlife crisis or what? little kids on a "SHARED"
Muso path and ****** riders flying past yelling watch out!!! what a
Muso pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ sake! if you
Muso want to ride like real ******* use the road and yell at the
Muso cars. at least they'll hit you back.

Blah blah blah...

Biggest law breakers on the road, pedestrians. Rarely obey lights, look
where they're going or act with due care for other road users.

I ride on the road because I'd rather put my safety in the hands of
motorists who have a clue than pedestrians who don't. Shared paths are
just way too dangerous.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old March 9th 04, 10:08 AM
DRS

Muso wrote in message

Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going through a
midlife crisis or what?
little kids on a "SHARED" path and ****** riders flying past yelling
watch out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ
sake! if you want to ride like real ******* use the road and yell at
the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

Yes, it is a shared path, so stop moaning because you're expected to share
it. If you keep left so you can be overtaken there isn't a problem. If
your kids can't keep left then they shouldn't be riding on the path and if
they ignore the warning bell then they can expect to be yelled at. They are
not only doing the wrong thing but causing a dangerous situation.

It's people ignoring the bell who really give me the ****s. I think I might
invest in an air horn. I nearly ran up the arse of three middle-aged
dickheads walking three abreast on the path near Elwood the other day who
simply ignored my frantically ringing bell as they drifted along in their
respective fantasy worlds. Can you get frame-racks for sawn-off shotguns?

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious

Old March 9th 04, 10:32 AM
Dale Stanbrough

Muso wrote:

Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going through a midlife
crisis or what?
little kids on a "SHARED" path and ****** riders flying past yelling watch
out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ sake! if you
want to ride like real ******* use the road and yell at the cars. at least
they'll hit you back.

I remember riding along a shared path (Yarra bike trail before the
paper mills) where you could see for many hundreds of meters and yet
the -gaggle- of women who were walking around 6-7 abreast (the path
is -very- wide) still couldn't get out of the f*cking way!

The only thing that moved them at all was the fact that I was about
to run into them - and I was right on the very edge of the path.

Dale

Old March 9th 04, 10:59 AM
Joel Mayes

In article , DRS wrote:

snip

It's people ignoring the bell who really give me the ****s. I think I might
invest in an air horn. I nearly ran up the arse of three middle-aged
dickheads walking three abreast on the path near Elwood the other day who
simply ignored my frantically ringing bell as they drifted along in their
respective fantasy worlds. Can you get frame-racks for sawn-off shotguns?

mount a single barrel shotty along one side of the top tube with a
trigger attachment rigged up from an old brake lever, you could then
clear a path without having to endarger yourself by taking your hand
away from the brakes.

you might need knobbly tires though...

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |
Old March 9th 04, 11:01 AM
Joel Mayes

In article , Dale Stanbrough wrote:
Muso wrote:

Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going through a midlife
crisis or what?
little kids on a "SHARED" path and ****** riders flying past yelling watch
out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ sake! if you
want to ride like real ******* use the road and yell at the cars. at least
they'll hit you back.

I remember riding along a shared path (Yarra bike trail before the
paper mills) where you could see for many hundreds of meters and yet
the -gaggle- of women who were walking around 6-7 abreast (the path
is -very- wide) still couldn't get out of the f*cking way!

The only thing that moved them at all was the fact that I was about
to run into them - and I was right on the very edge of the path.

Dale

three and a half words

Air Zound II

I've never had problems with people not leaving room to over taking
since I got one of these, and with a bit of practice you can half
depress and valve to get a normal volume honk, which is enough for most
people, and save the full volume blast for inconsiderates.

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |
Old March 9th 04, 11:26 AM
Andrew Reddaway

Damned if you do, damned if you dont - when we ride on the road there
are often drivers annoyed that we're NOT on the shared path!

It might not have occured to you Muso, but shared paths are intended
to be used for transport not just recreation - my council has made
this very clear in its latest transport planning sessions. I often
ride on a shared path for part of my route, when it's the most direct
and traffic-free option. Even allowing for slowing to overtake
pedestrians, by using the bike path I can get to one destination in 30
mins by bike, only 5 minutes more than by car.

There's no "mid-life crisis" here, just a decision to be a one-car
household for reasons like cost, fitness/health and environment. And
I wear lycra when it's the most practical clothing!

Road rules DO apply on a shared path - keep left etc. Here's what I
googled:
http://www.bv.com.au/download/ACF41B.pdf
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/trum/tr2001121.pdf
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_15.pdf

You certainly do have to be careful overtaking kids, slowing down as
much as appropriate, judging their likelihood to step in front of you,
level of parental control, your braking ability etc. Just as you
should on the road, eg at a school. The cycle path experience should
also be part of the kids' "road-sense" education.

DRS, I got an Air Zound air horn for exactly the reason you describe,
and it definitely works! Sometimes I feel it's too loud, but you can
control it with a short "tap" rather than a full press. I've also
been thanked by pedestrians for giving good warning that I'm
approaching. Much better than a bell, considering that people might
be wearing headphones or hard of hearing. It's also come in handy to
ward off an aggressive dog at night...

TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
lacking in leg strength and stamina exercises? Yuri Budilov General 18 March 23rd 04 02:42 PM
First long ride on my new bike (long) David Kerber General 17 November 26th 03 12:59 PM