Tips for chain cleaning

Old May 18th 05, 06:39 AM
Bill Sornson

On 17 May 2005 18:55:00 -0700, "wle"
wrote:

this sounds nutty but i have a 7000 mile chain with less
than .3/16" 'stretch'.

[snip]

wle.

Dear WLE,

Possibly that 3/16ths of an inch wear was a typo?

Dear Carl.

Switch to decaf recently?

Bill "." S.

Old May 18th 05, 08:05 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 05:39:25 GMT, "Bill Sornson"

wrote:

this sounds nutty but i have a 7000 mile chain with less
than .3/16" 'stretch'.

[snip]

wle.

Dear WLE,

Possibly that 3/16ths of an inch wear was a typo?

Dear Carl.

Switch to decaf recently?

Bill "." S.

Dear Bill,

Without mentioning any names, one problem with writing
without capitals and leaving out punctuation is that when
you mean 0.3/16ths of an inch, writing .3/16" is
mystifying--was the "." intentional or a typo?

(True, .30-30 rifles and .38 pistols and the .30-'06 omit
the leading zero, but a 0.3/16 would be a pipsqueak indeed.
And the preceding sentence will choke many proofreading
programs, since a space and period rarely follow a comma.)

And where on earth do we find a ruler marked in tenths of a
sixteenth of an inch? Is it near where they sell the metric
rulers marked in sixteenths of a centimeter? Or is it over
where the 1/7th inch drill bits are always on sale?

Of course, if you meant to praise my tentative effort to
omit needless words (as long as they're someone else's),
then I'm flattered that my snipping merits comment.

Carl Fogel
Old May 18th 05, 02:27 PM
Peter Cole

Art Harris wrote:
Polly wrote:

I never seem to get my chain clean enough.
So Id like to hear different ways to clean a chain.

Don't worry if the outside of the chain isn't shiny clean. What matters
is keeping dirt and grit from getting inside the chain where you can't
see it.

The only really effective way to clean a chain is to remove it, and
agitate it in a solvent such as mineral spirits. Then allow it to dry
completely, and lubricate with oil.

See:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

I thought the latest "science" was that cleaning a chain didn't affect
lifetime. I've stopped cleaning mine.
Old May 18th 05, 03:03 PM
JH

Peter Cole wrote:
I thought the latest "science" was that cleaning a chain didn't

affect
lifetime. I've stopped cleaning mine.

But even if this is true, the bike just runs so much more smoothly and
quietly with a clean chain.

Old May 18th 05, 04:36 PM
Peter Cole

JH wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I thought the latest "science" was that cleaning a chain didn't

affect

lifetime. I've stopped cleaning mine.

But even if this is true, the bike just runs so much more smoothly and
quietly with a clean chain.

Really? I've never noticed. I do oil it and wipe off the big chunks.
Old May 18th 05, 04:44 PM
Neil Brooks

Peter Cole wrote:

JH wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I thought the latest "science" was that cleaning a chain didn't

affect

lifetime. I've stopped cleaning mine.

But even if this is true, the bike just runs so much more smoothly and
quietly with a clean chain.

Really? I've never noticed. I do oil it and wipe off the big chunks.

I'm with you on this. If I've done some really nasty riding--either
rain riding on the road bike, or mud riding on the mtb--I use WD-40, a
rag, and a toothbrush, but have *never* removed a chain for cleaning.

They run fine, whisper-quiet, get good life, and don't seem to be
cog-eaters.

I'd rather be riding....
Old May 18th 05, 04:53 PM
wle

And where on earth do we find a ruler marked in tenths of a
sixteenth of an inch? Is it near where they sell the metric
rulers marked in sixteenths of a centimeter? Or is it over
where the 1/7th inch drill bits are always on sale?

--ruler marked in 1/16ths.

--0.3 is a visual estimate - pretty easy to make.

--it;s nowhere near a whole 16th, not near half of one, kind of
just the other side of where the quarter would be.

--wle.

Old May 18th 05, 08:08 PM
Leo Lichtman

"wle" wrote: (clip)--0.3 is a visual estimate - pretty easy to make. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Language like, "half a thou," or even "a third of sixteenth," would never be
misunderstood. But .3/16 is strange, and so, easily questioned.

Old May 18th 05, 08:17 PM
JH

Neil Brooks wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

JH wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I thought the latest "science" was that cleaning a chain didn't

affect

lifetime. I've stopped cleaning mine.

But even if this is true, the bike just runs so much more smoothly

and
quietly with a clean chain.

Really? I've never noticed. I do oil it and wipe off the big chunks.

I'm with you on this. If I've done some really nasty riding--either

rain riding on the road bike, or mud riding on the mtb--I use WD-40,

rag, and a toothbrush, but have *never* removed a chain for cleaning.

They run fine, whisper-quiet, get good life, and don't seem to be
cog-eaters.

I'd rather be riding....

I suppose I'm probably imagining most of the "improvement" from the
clean chain. In any case I certainly agree that I'd rather be riding.
I save the chain cleaning for rainy nights.

Old May 19th 05, 05:03 AM
Polly

And . . . on May 11th . . . Polly posted the same question. Same
e-mail address for both of 'em....

Does . . . uh . . . that make Polly a . . . troll??

Can't we all just talk about chain *lube* instead?

No that doesnt make me a TROLL I posted that message and it never showed
up..
Thanks for the replies to the post, Im not too keen on ripping every single
customers chain off thier bike and heating them.. although I could see where
I could easily charge extra for something like that.
I'll start a couple more threads on chain lube and chain cleaning devices.
PS Neil show me the link to that post..