Judging cyclists by their appearance

Old July 3rd 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

Default Judging cyclists by their appearance

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:21:52 -0700, Dane Buson wrote:

I keep trying to give the Fred impression, but I keep getting Poseurs
sucking my wheel [1] or worse catching up and asking if I'm on a team or
telling me I should get a power meter wheel.

No, I'm not joking. All those conversations happened.

Reminds me of the time that I had a few beers and hit the open mic night
at my local with a cheap casio keyboard. Played two songs, badly, walked
off, and had five guys asking me "DUDE are you looking for a BAND?"

insert huge rolleyes emoticon here

[1] Without asking.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 3rd 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:36:12 -0700, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:59 pm, Zoot Katz? wrote:

Riding the Xtracycle today I got, "Does that thing have a motor?"
when a weekend warrior caught me at the light after I'd blown by him
struggling up the last pitch.

Counting shoes, full coverage helmet, lycra and hydration pack, poor
boinger dude must have dropped at least $2500 at the LBS. His bike
was spotless so it's certain he'd not been out bashing around on
trails all day....

FABRIZIO MAZZOLENI!!!

The Fab One doesn't ride mountain bikes.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 3rd 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article . com,
" writes:
On Jul 3, 2:32 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Michael Warner writes:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 10:11:38 -0000, wrote:

The truly serious cyclists have a car but still ride the bike and have
more than one bike. But it begins to approach poser if you have more
than ten bikes, even if you are general secretary of the cycling
association.

It's essential that at least one of your bikes is worth more than
your car, too.

What car?

It's essential that at least one of the bikes you take with on the bus
is worth more than the bus.

In Vancouver our buses have racks on their fronts,
on which we can transport our bikes. I've sometimes
considered doing that, but have never done so. Once
I'm on the bike I figu in for a dime, in for a dollar,
so I always persist with the bike, and shine-on the bus.

One of these days I've gotta do that multi-modal thing,
just to say I've done so. On the other hand, I'm a guy
who'll ride to from the centre of Vancouver Proper to
Deep Cove just for a donut.

Okay, two donuts. But they're lovely donuts.
Ryan knows what I mean.

Screw the bus. Everytime I catch a cold or 'flu,
it's from riding the bus.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 3rd 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article .com,
Claire writes:

I'd like you to describe what you were wearing and what you were
riding, on your last ride, and if you think it makes you a poser or a
Fred.

My last ride was up to the re-tox centre.

CLOTHING

- Black T-shirt w/ pocket

- A pair of jeans I holed the right knee of last year,
while taking the left turn off No. 6 Road onto
Bridgeport too fast, and winding up rolling around
on the sidewalk. Right cuff rolled up, but has
nevertheless sustained some chainring chewing.

- some lucky pennies stowed in the watch pocket of my jeans,
along with the strapless remnants of my cheap-o wris****ch.

BICYCLE

Ol' Pig Iron. A mish-mash of the best parts of
numerous discarded '80s MTBs. The saddle is
six inches higher than the handlebar -- that way,
I'm always going downhill. My handlebar has just
a taste of rise, but also a gull-wing downsweep,
reminiscent of the shoulders of a linebacker --
the setup is very aggressive-looking to those in
the know; to others, I guess it just looks weird.

6-spd freewheel, Union generator light system,
Freddy Fenders, lotsa un-bobbed zip ties sticking
out. MTB toeclips covered w/ inner tube strips.
And the good ol' black milk crate with the red
reflector and blinkie mounted on it. Those
rough-'n-ready Cheng Shin slick 26x1.5" tires.

So, you pass me along the road, what would your judgement be? Fred? Or
Poser?

Aw, you /know/ I'm just a push-over for pretty women cyclists.

cheers,
Tom

Old July 3rd 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On Jul 2, 11:42 am, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:18:45 -0700, Bob wrote:
Why only two category choices, poser or fred? Based on the description
given I'd probably judge you to be someone who rides not only for fun
but also as a means of getting around. As for me, the ride itself is
the destination.
I'll play anyway though:

2004 Domina Vacanze jersey and bibshorts, the white and black tiger
striped ones
white headband with similar black tiger striping
silver Diadora road shoes

custom Habanero ti frame road bike
mixed Record/Chorus group, mostly Record now
Easton carbon bar
EMS carbon fork
Selle SLR saddle
Open Pros with Conti clinchers

Is there a name for someone that likes nice bike stuff and to be
noticed in traffic?

Bob?- Hide quoted text -

If my name catches on as a way of categorizing cyclists do I get any
kind of royalty payment for allowing the usage?

Regards,
Bob (all rights reserved) Hunt

Old July 3rd 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:32:58 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

It's essential that at least one of your bikes is worth more than
your car, too.

What car?

Ok, your neighbour's car :-)

Old July 3rd 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 3, 12:13 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Michael Warner writes:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 10:11:38 -0000, wrote:

The truly serious cyclists have a car but still ride the bike and have
more than one bike. But it begins to approach poser if you have more
than ten bikes, even if you are general secretary of the cycling
association.

It's essential that at least one of your bikes is worth more than
your car, too.

What car?

It's essential that at least one of the bikes you take with on the bus
is worth more than the bus.

In Vancouver our buses have racks on their fronts,
on which we can transport our bikes. I've sometimes
considered doing that, but have never done so. Once
I'm on the bike I figu in for a dime, in for a dollar,
so I always persist with the bike, and shine-on the bus.

I like to go biking in places that I don't have enough time to bike
to, bike at, bike back, and still be home in time for work on Monday
morning.

One of these days I've gotta do that multi-modal thing,
just to say I've done so. On the other hand, I'm a guy
who'll ride to from the centre of Vancouver Proper to
Deep Cove just for a donut.

I don't know how far that is but I did a 100km out and back with the
stated intent of going swimming in the hot springs only to decide,
when I got to the hot springs, that I didn't feel like going swimming
at which point I turned around and went home.

Okay, two donuts. But they're lovely donuts.
Ryan knows what I mean.

And the calorie burn meant you had the right to eat three donuts if
you wanted to.

Old July 30th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Chris[_2_]

"DI" wrote in
:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:99WdnZyaQJ3HuBXbnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"DI" wrote in message
news

"Patrick Lamb" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:22:49 -0500, "DI" quoted Ed
Dolan:

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka Asshole
I will bet if you weren't 2,000 miles away she would also kick you
old fat
ass.

Just a minor request, can you not quote this poster in his replies?
There's nothing he says I care to read, and your quoting makes my
killfile less effective.

Pat

Email address works as is.

I'm sorry, I should have asked permission before posting a reply.

Yes, you should have. Also, bend over and grab your ankles so that
others may **** your sorry ass all the better.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Want to try it? You made a similar statement once before, I
offered to meet you, you turned to a shaking bowl of jello who was
afraid of an ass kicking.

I called Mr Edward "The Shaking Coward" Dolan on the phone once for
kicks, The old man was so scared, he hung up.

If you would like you too can call him for fun and laughs.

My little brother is an over the road truck driver, and I asked him to
stop by Eddy house someday. He said sure, love to see an old man crap
in his pants

Anybody want his phone and/or address??

Old August 2nd 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

Chris who? wrote:
"DI" wrote in
:

"DI" wrote in message
[...]

Eddie Dolan is just old and lonely, and needs attention.

Old August 2nd 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Aug 1, 7:34 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
Chris who? wrote:
"DI" wrote in
:

[...]