Who was at fault?

Old April 26th 19, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Who was at fault?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI
Old April 26th 19, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 08:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

60:40 to the cabbie - he didn't make adequate rear observation before
swinging around, but he /was/ indicating (but only three flashes, I like
to indicate a lot earlier than that, maybe ten flashes) and the cyclist
should have paid more attention - that cab was obviously involved
in /some/ sort of manoeuvre, swinging a U-turn is standard behaviour, so
if in doubt slow down and give it space. The cyclist was probably
distracted by the pedestrian wandering around in the middle of the
road. Maybe that should be 60:30:10 to give the pedestrian a little
blame. Maybe I'm being unduly hard on the cyclist.

Old April 26th 19, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 16:14:14 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

100% the cabbie's fault. What the **** did he think he was doing?! You can't just turn right without checking anything is passing. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre.

How can anyone say the cyclist was at fault? He was simply travelling along a straight road, and the cab was presumably trying to park on the other side.
Old April 26th 19, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

60:40 to the cabbie - he didn't make adequate rear observation before
swinging around, but he /was/ indicating (but only three flashes, I like
to indicate a lot earlier than that, maybe ten flashes) and the cyclist
should have paid more attention - that cab was obviously involved
in /some/ sort of manoeuvre, swinging a U-turn is standard behaviour, so
if in doubt slow down and give it space. The cyclist was probably
distracted by the pedestrian wandering around in the middle of the
road. Maybe that should be 60:30:10 to give the pedestrian a little
blame. Maybe I'm being unduly hard on the cyclist.

You can't just make a u-turn until other traffic is out of the way, you do not have priority when making a u turn, end of story.
Old April 26th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

60:40 to the cabbie - he didn't make adequate rear observation before
swinging around, but he /was/ indicating (but only three flashes, I like
to indicate a lot earlier than that, maybe ten flashes) and the cyclist
should have paid more attention - that cab was obviously involved
in /some/ sort of manoeuvre, swinging a U-turn is standard behaviour, so
if in doubt slow down and give it space. The cyclist was probably
distracted by the pedestrian wandering around in the middle of the
road. Maybe that should be 60:30:10 to give the pedestrian a little
blame. Maybe I'm being unduly hard on the cyclist.

If the cyclist had been holding the handlebars he could have braked far
earlier.
Old April 26th 19, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

100% the cabbie's fault. What the **** did he think he was doing?! You
can't just turn right without checking anything is passing. Mirror,
signal, manoeuvre.
How can anyone say the cyclist was at fault? He was simply
travelling along a straight road, and the cab was presumably trying
to park on the other side.

I have to agree with Hucker, this had to happen sometime.
The taxi driver did not look.

Old April 26th 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

100% the cabbie's fault. What the **** did he think he was doing?! You
can't just turn right without checking anything is passing. Mirror,
signal, manoeuvre.
How can anyone say the cyclist was at fault? He was simply
travelling along a straight road, and the cab was presumably trying
to park on the other side.

I have to agree with Hucker,

Don't let that happen again.

this had to happen sometime.
The taxi driver did not look.

Odd, as taxis round here are better and more alert drivers than everyone else. After all they're doing it all day.

Doesn't matter if it was a cyclist or another car. If I'm going to make a u turn, I pull in to the left and wait till the road is empty. The taxi driver should be given 6 points for dangerous driving.
Old April 26th 19, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

100% the cabbie's fault. What the **** did he think he was doing?! You
can't just turn right without checking anything is passing. Mirror,
signal, manoeuvre.
How can anyone say the cyclist was at fault? He was simply
travelling along a straight road, and the cab was presumably trying
to park on the other side.

I have to agree with Hucker, this had to happen sometime.
The taxi driver did not look.

Avoiding other road users doing something odd is a normal part of using
the road.

Riding along with your hands off the controls is not the safest way to
ride a bicycle, in fact it is careless.
Old April 26th 19, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

100% the cabbie's fault. What the **** did he think he was doing?! You
can't just turn right without checking anything is passing. Mirror,
signal, manoeuvre.
How can anyone say the cyclist was at fault? He was simply
travelling along a straight road, and the cab was presumably trying
to park on the other side.

I have to agree with Hucker, this had to happen sometime.
The taxi driver did not look.

Avoiding other road users doing something odd is a normal part of using
the road.

Doesn't absolve the fool driving the taxi of being at fault. When an accident occurs, and the insurance finds party A guilty, party B suffers no losses.

Riding along with your hands off the controls is not the safest way to
ride a bicycle, in fact it is careless.

If that bicycle had been a car, it would still have collided with the taxi. The taxi unexpectedly moved to the right without indicating (the indication happened AS he turned, not before).
Old April 27th 19, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLgMxsIFpI

60:40 to the cabbie - he didn't make adequate rear observation before
swinging around, but he /was/ indicating (but only three flashes, I like
to indicate a lot earlier than that, maybe ten flashes) and the cyclist
should have paid more attention - that cab was obviously involved
in /some/ sort of manoeuvre, swinging a U-turn is standard behaviour, so
if in doubt slow down and give it space. The cyclist was probably
distracted by the pedestrian wandering around in the middle of the
road. Maybe that should be 60:30:10 to give the pedestrian a little
blame. Maybe I'm being unduly hard on the cyclist.

The taxi brake lights would also have come on.

The driver was 100% to blame for creating the situation but the person
on the bike might have done more to avoid.

Who was at fault? Simon Jester UK 15 October 28th 17 10:02 AM
Its all our fault Tony Raven UK 49 December 20th 05 03:07 PM
Was this all my fault? Colin McAdams UK 283 August 29th 05 08:08 AM
It's your fault Maggie General 22 November 16th 04 05:41 PM
Whose fault? Nick Kew UK 7 August 15th 03 07:29 PM