Climate Change To the Rescue!

Old August 23rd 19, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default Climate Change To the Rescue!

Since the late 1990s more than half the world's vegetated landscapes
have experienced a decrease in plant growth. We contributed to a new
@ScienceAdvances study that has linked this to decreasing air
moisture ^CG scientificamerican.com/article/earth-... https://t.co/P74cF3vuDq
pic.twitter.com/rdGuNFyYql

To expedite border crossings it always helps to have a plausible story. A couple days ago when it hit 46 C customs asked the standard, "where are you going." I answered my standard true-in-every-way response naming a town 45 km away. So far so good. He noticed the bicycle. "You aren't going to ride?" he asked incredulously. "I'll do it," I answered uncertainly. I pointed to two 1 l water bottles, one already half empty, slowly realizing they wouldn't really help bolster the case it was possible. Two l of water will get you maybe 25 km in 45 C heat on MTB and even then you need to spend the next 12 hours indoors re hydrating. I haven't heard about them torching bike frames apart but BP was getting outraged at the sheer brazenness of the discussion.

The line was long, they were in a hurry and they let me through before I had time to explain I don't like to over do it in the humid August heat and intended to take the bus the last 15 km. That leg is non stop so I only spend 10 minutes on the smelly filthy thing.

After buying a bottle of juice and then a can of juice I arrived at the bus stop somewhat surprised I was feeling good enough to ride the rest of the way home. I was concerned about mid day sunburn so I decided to take the bus anyway as originally planned. When the bus arrived I lowered the bike rack and was going to put the bike on board when one of those sun-burned-to-the-point-of-no-recognition deranged lunatics unique to Prop-13 desert cities ran out of no where and started arguing with the bus driver.

The lunatic then produced a dollar bill and any concern about malignant melanomas vanished. I raised and latched the bike rack, waved good by to the bus, refilled the water bottles with scalding water and cycled home.

Two wrongs sometimes makes a right! What Border Patrol heard from me turned out to be the truth after all!

The low humidity made it possible. It's been unusually dry in the Valley all August.

On the down side the dust triggers asthma attacks. The local hospital has an O2 tank next to every other chair in the ER.

Bret Cahill