Fall is falling

Old November 3rd 19, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Fall is falling

Saturday, 2 November 2019

We had a snowstorm the day before yesterday. I woke up to clear roads
on Friday, but I saw some snow caught in dry leaves on lawns on 250 S.

Speaking of leaves, I also woke up to a yellow lawn -- the storm
stripped our maple tree.

Roads clear, the day predicted to be sunny and dry, I prepared for a
ride that turned out a bit longer than the one I planned. (After a
bit, I started dragging the map out at frequent intervals.)

I'd packed the bike on Thursday night, my spouse all the while saying
"I think you're crazy." I dressed, ate breakfast, put fresh water in
my bottles, checked my mail, put on my jersey, filled the pockets, and
went out to the garage. I selected my thicker pair of gloves, started
to put my do-rag on, then realized that it was so cold that I ought to
wear a scarf instead. I looked around for a place to put the do-rag
-- I always hang it on my brake cable, but that wouldn't do while I'm
riding. Duh! Put it in the laundry hamper -- There will be more days
when I could wear it, but there won't be more days when I'd mind
having a scarf wrapped around my neck. It's time to put it away for
the winter.

It joined my black knickers, which I'd found a few days before while
pawing through the tights, jeans, etc. on hooks at the front of the
closet. I won't be wearing those again before spring.

Yesterday was also the first time I wore two pairs of fluffy socks.
(I've been wearing ragg socks for several weeks.)

But my windbreaker is still at the back of the closet, and my wool
overjersey is still in the coat closet.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 4th 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

When I came in sight of the house on my way home from church today, I
thought "Oh! Dave's gone somewhere!" Then I remembered that not too
long before our first snowfall, we re-arranged the garage and started
parking the car inside.

Re-arranging consisted almost entirely of moving a chair, but the car
occupies the path I use to get the flatfoot out. Not that I've gotten
it out much lately -- I've been walking just fine all summer. I did
ride it a few times to fetch a sandwich from Sweet Dreams; walking
would have given the sandwich time to get cold.

Never mind, he said, you can always back the car out. But that spoils
whats reputed to be the primary advantage of a flatfoot: one can hop
onto it and ride in whatever one happens to have on, including
floor-length skirts.

Including skirts is cheating because I have to set up for it by
wearing black pedal pushers instead of white drawers. On the other
hand, I wore black tights today because my silk tights need a stop-run
darn and I can't find the other pair.

Butd I have to change clothes whenever I leave the house anyway. Even
if I don't mind being seen in my grubbies, I have to put shoes on.

After carefully observing the situation, I think I can get the
Flatfoot out by the same route as the road bike. I might have to take
the pannier off to get the flatfoot past the road bike, but that
pannier was designed to be taken off and carried into a store as a
shopping basket.

There turned out to be two things wrong with that theory. One is that
bag boys don't have the slightest clue as to how to pack a pannier.
The other is that the only store within Flatfoot range is Sweet
Dreams, and I'd have to stand the take-out plate on edge to get it
into the pannier. (Instead, I use the pannier to carry a box and some
bungees, put the take-out box into the cardboard box, and strap the
cardboard box to the rack.)

Old November 6th 19, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 23:01:57 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

After carefully observing the situation, I think I can get the
Flatfoot out by the same route as the road bike.

I rode the flatfoot today. With any luck, for the last time before
May. I thought I'd test my plan for getting it out, but he hadn't
parked the car inside yet. When I got to Sweet Dreams, they had
closed for the winter. As pre-arranged, I called home. Most things
close by the first of November in a summer resort, so I'd been half
expecting not to get a sandwich.

He thawed a single-serve pizza, I made myself a lettuce salad with
peanuts, cheese, etc., and an oil and bread-and-butter syrup dressing.

I wonder whether bread-and-butter pickles are a strictly local
delicacy? World Wide Words once looked into why vegetables preserved
in vinegar syrup are calld "bread-and-butter"; there were many
theories, but none that hold water.

Which makes me wonder whether "hold water" for "not full of holes you
could drive a truck through" is a local saying.

I think I'll go read alt.usage.english.

Wednesday, 6 November 2019

And I did.

I think that "today" was yesterday.

Old November 6th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

wrote:

After carefully observing the situation, I think I can get the
Flatfoot out by the same route as the road bike.

I rode the flatfoot today. With any luck, for the last time before
May. I thought I'd test my plan for getting it out, but he hadn't
parked the car inside yet. When I got to Sweet Dreams, they had
closed for the winter. As pre-arranged, I called home. Most things
close by the first of November in a summer resort, so I'd been half
expecting not to get a sandwich.

He thawed a single-serve pizza, I made myself a lettuce salad with
peanuts, cheese, etc., and an oil and bread-and-butter syrup dressing.

I wonder whether bread-and-butter pickles are a strictly local
delicacy? World Wide Words once looked into why vegetables preserved
in vinegar syrup are calld "bread-and-butter"; there were many
theories, but none that hold water.

Try:
https://www.gardenweb.com/discussion...get-their-name

Which makes me wonder whether "hold water" for "not full of holes you
could drive a truck through" is a local saying.

I think I'll go read alt.usage.english.

Wednesday, 6 November 2019

And I did.

I think that "today" was yesterday.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 9th 19, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Fall continues: today I got my silk scarf out of storage. If it gets
cold enough to require a balaclava, I'll have to dig out my old
rear-view-mirror holder. The new helmet adjusts by just turning a
screw instead of messing around with sizing pads, but the oval can be
made longer or shorter, but not any wider.

In a rush to hit the road. No spell check.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Old November 9th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 10:05:36 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Fall continues: today I got my silk scarf out of storage. If it gets
cold enough to require a balaclava, I'll have to dig out my old
rear-view-mirror holder. The new helmet adjusts by just turning a
screw instead of messing around with sizing pads, but the oval can be
made longer or shorter, but not any wider.

In a rush to hit the road. No spell check.

Here it is the beginning of the hot season although we are having a
week of cold weather (down to 70) due to a high pressure area blowing
in from China :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 12th 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 08:56:10 -0700, NFN Smith
wrote:

John B. wrote:
Here it is the beginning of the hot season although we are having a
week of cold weather (down to 70) due to a high pressure area blowing
in from China :-(
--

70 C or 70 F?

Smith

70 F, for the benefit of those who do not live in a metric country :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old November 24th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 7:05:42 AM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
Fall continues: today I got my silk scarf out of storage. If it gets
cold enough to require a balaclava, I'll have to dig out my old
rear-view-mirror holder. The new helmet adjusts by just turning a
screw instead of messing around with sizing pads, but the oval can be
made longer or shorter, but not any wider.

In a rush to hit the road. No spell check.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii
joy beeson at comcast dot net http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

Fall is here in Aptos, CA. The leaves are falling and we have had two or three fires in the woodstove now.
Seems like the cold weather and rain are holding off, though.
I really like this time of year and watching the leaves fall.

Q: for John....are the stoplights in Thailand red?
For some reason I just got to thinking, we have all sorts of different customs in different countries: dress, side of road we drive on, acceptable food items....but it seems that we all agree on red lights for traffic signals.. I'm just wondering if it's actually true.

pH in Aptos.
Old November 24th 19, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:00:11 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:

[...]

Yup, stop lights are red, and train crossings have flashing red
lights, and regular old green, yellow, red traffic lights.

In Asia, I have been in about every country in South East Asia, and,
if they use lights, they all use red stop lights. In Vietnam,
Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar I don't remember seeing any traffic lights
at all :-)

As for side of the road we drive on the left hand side, which I might
add makes perfect sense as that puts the driver of a team of oxen (or
water buffalo) on the near side and not in the center of the road :-)

In looking at google I see that the first directive seems to be Pope
Boniface VIII directed pilgrims to keep left, in the year 1300
(Which would seem to put us on the side of the Angels :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Look pedals falling apart Duane[_3_] Techniques 35 August 5th 17 04:27 PM
Anyone Falling For It? Nuxx Bar UK 0 February 23rd 09 12:12 AM
Not falling over on ice innes Unicycling 8 January 1st 06 06:17 PM
SPDs and falling off! Keith Midgley UK 29 October 16th 05 07:57 PM
KH seat falling apart pete66 Unicycling 3 August 3rd 04 06:39 PM