Can I convert a 20" to a 24"?

Old March 13th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chromizone

Default Can I convert a 20" to a 24"?

Hi everyone, I have a 20" Bedford light duty Uni and I was wondering if
I could simply buy a 24" wheel and swap um out? or if this won't work
due to the wheel size interfering with the frame?

Also, how great a difference does a shorter crank length make? and is
it worth the cost in exchange for the added torque?

Thanks.

-Chromy.

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

Old March 13th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pinefresh

It wont work unless you have some welding skills and can make your frame
larger to fit a 24''. As for crank lengths when you get right down to
it I think you really have to try them and decide for yourself, there
are alot of mixed opinions.

--
pinefresh

I'm too manly to type I just punch the keyboard and delete the letters I
don't want.
KH 20'' arrived w00t!
pinefresh's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12535

Old March 13th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

chromizone wrote:
Hi everyone, I have a 20" Bedford light duty Uni and I was wondering if
I could simply buy a 24" wheel and swap um out? or if this won't work
due to the wheel size interfering with the frame?

Also, how great a difference does a shorter crank length make? and is
it worth the cost in exchange for the added torque?

Thanks.

-Chromy.

Like chromizone said you can't go 20 to 24. For future reference you
can put a 20" wheel in a 24" frame (or just about any smaller wheel in
a bigger frame), just wheel walking tricks would be harder and the min
seat hieght would be higher.

As for the crank issue just get a bunch of steel cotterless cranks,
they'er cheep.

--
skilewis74

Old March 13th 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
one wheely

It won't work unless your frame has a huge amount of clearance on it.
Which is unlikely.

--
one wheely

Why stroll...when you can roll?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

BillyTheMountain wrote:
End Bike Supremacy! Refuse to be marginalized!!
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
*Power to the Unicyclists!! Right on!!*

one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955